Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marymcp_2

North Facing Wall - Blank Slate

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for ideas on what to do with the plain, drab north side of my house. It gets some shade from the eves even in summer. I had thought I wanted a nice raised bed there but my husband is reluctant to plant anything needing water along the foundation. The house is 30 years old and has never had anything planted along its foundation and he feels this is a good thing. Seem to me after 30 years it has pretty much settled and if I keep it xeri we should be ok. What are the opinions out there about vegetation along the perimeters of the house?

My vision is: some type of rock garden abutting the house, a pathway along this rock garden that meanders over to the east side of the house, then along the other side of the pathway fragrant shrubs/hedges - like lavendar maybe, or patchouli. Anybody grown a patchouli hedge? I found a small patchouli plant at the Master Gardener's sale and find the idea of a patchouli hedge intriguing.

TIA for your suggestions and comments.

Cheers~

Mary

Comments (10)

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Hmmm, I think there is some kind of water proofing paint you could seal the area that would be below soil level. It shouldn't be a problem if the plants are on drips and the planter isn't "flooded". Sounds like right now you could plant Geraniums & Ferns :) The Summer of course would be a different story.

By the way my "Anaheims" are finally starting to turn Red! I don't eat Peppers, but they sure are pretty.
    {{gwi:423956}}

• magnetogram
    18 years ago

hey trolip,

what type of prep work was done before you painted your block wall? any extra info is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

detrick

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Hi Mary and all,

I've got a LOT of plants growing along the north side of the house. Some are very low water and some aren't (though I try to keep them generally grouped to make watering easier). Here's a quick list of what I've got planted that is thriving (not just surviving, but looking great):

These all get a lot of bright indirect light all year and just a touch of morning sun in summer only:
    Agave americana

Squid agave (Agave bracteosa)

Aloe saponaria

Aloe brevifolia

Datura meteloides

Cast-iron plant (Aspidistra elatior)

Callisia fragrans(like a fun, more-durable spider plant)

Giant (or "white") bird of paradise (Strelitzia nicolai)

Spider plants (Chlorophytum in the ground year round)

Honeysuckle vine (Lonicera)a great suggestion from Judy B

Slimjim bean (Phaseolus filiformis great delicate foliage and tons of small snail-vine-looking blooms)

Pencil cactus (not really a cactus but a nice succulent, Euphorbia tirucalli

plus tons of coleus and begonia 'Dragon Wings red' in pots.

I'm sure other folks will share what they've got thriving on the north sides of their houses, but those are some plants off the top of my head that have done really, really well planted not far from the foundation of the north side of the house. Just keep in mind that I don't have any large trees nearby so it's pretty bright even without direct sunlight.

Let us know what you select, and how it works out.
    Take care,
    Grant

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Detrick, The prior owners had done a crummy job of painting the cinder block wall a BORING off white
    I just painted over it.

• usha
    18 years ago

Hi Mary,
    I am with your husband. You don't want to get termite infestation! I have arabian jasmine(fragrant), snail vine, dwarf myrtle(very fragrant when leaves are crushed)and some rose bushes that thrive in that area. Also have heliconia giners that are doing well. Natal plums don't look good a few months of the year...they recover very slowly from frost damage when they are on North side. Annual vines are also doing well in that area.
    usha

• eileenaz
    18 years ago

My experience with patchouli is that they don't tolerate sun well at all, although they're heat-loving to the point of dying when it even gets close to freezing. I found it really hard to find anything on the web about growing it, and never had one last the winter. They also can use a lot of water- in short, pretty high-maintenance and better off in a large pot under shadecloth or a tree. But I really like the idea of a hedge, too! I love the smell of the crushed leaves.

• aztransplant
    18 years ago

I agree w/your DH, too. We moved into a new house last year. The builder recommended to not plant anything w/in 4' of the foundation or our termite warranty would be null and void.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lots of good info - thanks folks.

Grant, from your list I can see where many of my Oct 1 cuttings came from. The pencil cactus I picked up is not doing too well unfortunately. Is datura one of the 'very low water' plants?

Eileen, thanks for the notes on Patchouli, guess I'll bring her into a warm, east facing room for the winter.

Usa, re: all those vines....do you have have a trellis for them to climb on or what??

and GT, those anaheims look yummy. They are not hot and are the peppers used to make a verde sauce for enchiladas. It's a shame to not eat 'em. Want a good recipe for home-made enchilada sauce?

Thanks again to all - It's going to be a busy weekend.

Mary

• usha
    18 years ago

Mary,
    the vines have med size trellises. Snail vine does not follow my rules--I let it fill up all the trellises and cover dwarf myrtles and some of rose bushes. In winter, I cut it back to the size I think it should be. My annuals got started very late this year(june) and so stayed on their trellises.

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Mary, I water the daturas once or twice a week during the hottest times of the year. Other than that, they're on their own.

Keep us posted.
    Take care,
    Grant

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio