Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mngardener1

first time - what do I need?

mngardener1
16 years ago

So, we have had our first frost in Minnesota and I have collected LOTS of seeds - now what do I do? This is my first winter attempting to grow things in the "snow" (and you thought YOUR neighbors talked!) Should I start collecting containers? What have you found worked the best for you? Where can I go for information so I am ready when the snow flies? I am excited and appreciate all of your help and trades this fall - its been wonderful and I can't wait to make the neighbors jealous next spring!

Thanks! :o)

Jodi

Comments (8)

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Hi, Jodi. Glad to have you join us.

Yes, it's time to start collecting containers for sure. Gallon milk jugs are my absolute favorites. Have you seen the FAQs and Trudi's site? Lot of information there to absorb. After you've read them, come back and some of the experts will be glad to answer your questions. New members are received warmly. When I first stumbled onto this forum, I couldn't believe how nice everyone was. That was a couple of years ago.

FAQs:http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/wtrsow/2002050141031613.html

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Trudi's site

• etravia
    16 years ago

Hi. Yes, containers & soil. You will be amazed when you see sprouts in the jugs when there is snow on the ground!
    Maggie

• mngardener1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK...so you guys are getting me all excited! :o~ Thanks!!! I can't wait!!! I even recruited the neighbor's deck...and snowbanks...LOL

Jodi

• Julie
    16 years ago

Welcome aboard!
    You are going to love gardening year round!! No more winter blues keeping you down till plantin' time!
    Please be sure to look over the FAQ area here- and Trudi's site is great!! Read them both and you are well on your way to being a pro at this!
    I find I like those plastic containers that have flat lids to them, like ice cream buckets, the big lettuce containers, Costco cookie containers and others. I drill holes in the bottom for drainage- and then 4 holes near the top of the sides of the bottom of the container for transpiration, add miracle grow, water it well with HOT water, let drain, sprinkle seeds on top, pop on the top and head out to the snow banks. I like to set mine on the ground,where the get at least some direct sun during the spring days, as they seem to not dry out as much, nor are they affected as much by wind and fluctuating temps as those placed on shelves. I find I do not need to water again till the tops come off.
    This year- I will be trying zip locks with holes in them and miniblind supports to keep them upright in flats as well. I am hoping to reduce some container off season storage and clean up issues.
    Look for deals on miracle grow or other similar non dirt container planting medium now- and store in the house till you need it- It freezes solid!!! And can take DAYS to thaw in your house!!
    Then, remember that we Minnesotan GWers get together in January and hold our great "Winter Blues Seed Swap" and share our seed stashes with each other for a fun mid winter garden gathering. Many of us there Winter Sow, or are usually converted quickly! Look to the exchange area of our MN forum for more details closer to January.
    You are gonna LOVE this!!

Julie

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Prepare your garden beds now. You won't have time to do it in spring. :-)
    And welcome to the fun.
    :-)

• hotshott
    16 years ago

Being new to GW, is the first time I've ever heard of winter sowing. I AM SO EXCITED!!!

• vignewood
    16 years ago

I am ready to try wintersowing this year. Does anyone have trouble with wind blowing containers away? We get a lot of wind here. I have a protected area behind my garage but I am still concerned that light containers will blow away.

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

vingewood: The wind is one of the many reasons I don't like light, shallow containers. My yard is very windy, too. They also dry out too fast in my yard.

My favorite containers are plastic milk jugs, preferable gallon size. They're too big and heavy to blow. I have had half gallon ones blow over, but never the gallons.

Karen

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County