Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Types/Names of Small Soft Spined Cactus

quiltingfox
15 years ago

A friend sent me some cactus cuttings. The cuttings look like fingers and are about the width of a finger and the spines are soft to the touch and don't stick in you. So I really like this cactus. Does anyone know of any kinds of cactus that are small enough for small pots (18" dia. or smaller) and that have spines that are soft to the touch and don't stick in you?

Best to you and thanks,

quiltingfox

Comments (20)

• ltecato
    15 years ago

An 18-inch-diameter container is what I would consider a HUGE pot. But if you want soft-spined or spineless cactus, I'd consider looking for the epiphytic jungle species like Rhipsalis, Lepismium, Schlumbergeria, Hylocereus and dozens of others. I'm assuming that you want plants that won't viciously stab you every time you touch them.

If you want species that can live in bright sunlight outside, the only kinds I can think of right now are Ariocarpus and some of the Astrophytum. I'm sure the other forum members can suggest more.

These are all "true" cacti. If you just want succulents that look like cacti, the list could go on forever.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Yes, I am looking for plants that won't viciously stab me. What type of lighting do the epiphytic jungle species need? Right now the soft cactus that I have is a in about an 8" diameter pot on my porch and gets a little direct light, but nothing too harsh. Thank you for sharing this info, can't wait to google them.

Best to you and many thanks,
    quiltingfox

• ltecato
    15 years ago

Most of the epiphytes can live in shade or filtered sunlight. For the most part, they don't need a lot of direct sun.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you bunches! I did not know the technical name of the Christmas cactus until now, Schlumbergeria. My grandmother gave me some cuttings over Christmas, but I did not realize it is a true cactus. Will have to add some of the epiphytes to my garden in addition to Grandma's Christmas cactus.

quiltingfox

• robnski36
    15 years ago

Some epiphytes hybrids do have some stickers, very few. There are some that are non stickery in appearance, but if you hit just the right way, you might get a stick. So be careful of which you choose.

Christmas Cactus is a good non stabbing kind.

• tjicken
    15 years ago

Epiphyllum oxypetalum is easily available, almost spineless and will quickly fill a large pot.

• wondernugget
    15 years ago

I've been wondering the same sort of thing as the original post.
    Are there any cacti that are spineless/have few or soft spines AND grow upright?
    I really like the look of the Opuntia genus but I am quite scared of their spines!
    Many thanks!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

There is a thornless variety of Opuntia - Opuntia cochenillifera.

Josh

• paulzie32
    15 years ago

You said a friend sent you some cuttings? Are these cuttings round or do they have edges/sides? The hairs/spines are also soft to the touch? One of my favorites, that someone was asking about recently is Selenicereus testudo. Could this be the cactus you received?
    {{gwi:475714}} Also try the link below

If it's not, A picture of yours would help :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/si/121353/

• pasimachus
    15 years ago

There are a decent number of smaller cacti which are either thornless or the thorns are harmless. Astrophytums, some Gymnocalyciums, and some Mammillarias are cacti I easily handle with bare hands.

If you're looking for a columnar cactus, I have some Espostoas and Cephalocereus which have spines, but they are short and inside the fuzzy white "mane".

• wondernugget
    15 years ago

Ou! Thanks!
    More names to add to the ever-growing list!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback. Will have to google some of these cactus types a little later. The cactus I have is totally round and one pot is upright and the other is hanging outside the pot?

Best to you and thanks,
    quiltingfox

• birdlady21
    15 years ago

How about echinocereus rigidissimus -- Arizona Rainbow. A mature one will probably be only a foot high. The spines are not prickly and many of the plants look like they have different colored horizontal stripes -- reds, pinks, almost white. Really a lovely little cactus. I planted 2 last summer in my yard and the largest one (about 4" tall) is starting to bloom.

• vilcat
    15 years ago

Mammillaria plumosa is so white and fluffy and I've never been pricked by it (clusters very well), and some Rebutias have spines that are flat against the plant and therefore not prickley. Aporocactus has spines but I don't consider them very prickley and they make a great hanging basket plant with bright pink flowers (mine is in bloom now).
    Hatiora is another epiphyte that is spineless and gets little orange/yellow flowers on the stem tips in spring (mine has now finished blooming).

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Opuntia microdasys--the spines are just little fuzzy yellow spots, it's a cutie.

• amccour
    15 years ago

"Opuntia microdasys"

Aren't those glochids?

• senjanevada
    15 years ago

It is Peanut Cactus (Echinopsis chamaecereus).

I have some of those that bloom orange. I will get some rose flower soon. If yours bloomed white, will you trade some clumps with mine?

Happy gardening.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you senjanevada for identifying my cactus. The cuttings I have are still quite small and have not bloomed yet. I will email Amelia and see if the parent plant has ever bloomed.

quiltingfox

• paulzie32
    15 years ago

Yup... E. chamaecereus. You'll like it... It should fill that pot in a short time.
    Enjoy.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus