Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Help with Christmas Cactus please?

gardenbug
10 years ago

I was given 2 Christmas cacti and they are both planted in the same green 6" green plastic pot. They are both small but was told that they flowered before and the blooms are different colors.

I want to separate them and put them each in their own pot, but I would like someone to tell me what kind and size pot I should use? Should I use a 6 inch pot or a 4 inch pot? I bought a bag of enriched Miracle Gro Cactus potting mix. The numbers on the bag are: 0.12 - 0.04 - 0.08 (Should I be adding anything else to this mix?

Thank you for all your help.

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Sounds as though they are Thanksgiving Cactus, if they're different colors....

Post a pic, and we'll be able to determine which size pot is more appropriate to the plants.

I wouldn't use that potting mix at all. These plants really thrive in a bark-based mix - such as an "Orchid Mix."

Josh

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh, Thanks very much for your quick reply. I bought the MG Cactus soil yesterday but I also saw they carried Orchid Mix. I'll exchange it today after I find out what size pots I should purchase. I really appreciate your help with this.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A closer look at the leaves.

• nitsuj420
    10 years ago

Carefully deprecate them. Use a well draining soil. A deep pot is preferred, as the leafs hang over (drewp)
    I have one 65 year old Christmas
    4 other Christmas
    1 this giving
    And more

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nitsuj, - Wow! a 65 year old cactus? That's amazing! You must be doing something right for it to last so many years. It really has to be your 'pride & joy' - Congratulations.

I'll make sure the pot is deep enough, and I'll be very careful taking them apart. I'm wondering if I should put it in a green plastic pot or a terra cotta pot. Would it matter?

Thanks so much for the tip. Do you have a pic of your cactus? I would love to see it.

• User
    10 years ago

Excuse me please, but what does this mean?

"Carefully deprecate them."

To the new grower, plastic pots pls. not clay. They help to retain some of the moisture these plants want as they're tropical jungle cacti. Clay can dry them out too fast (at least indoors, with heat).

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks pirate_girl. I'll use plastic but I'm still not sure what size I should use after dividing the two plants. Should I use a 4" pot or a 6" pot? Thanks again for your help.

10 years ago

They'll probably do fine if grown in 4-inch pots.

Josh

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh, thanks so much for all your help. Okay, I've got the Orchid mix now and I'm off to pick up a couple of 4" plastic pots and after that I'm good to go!

Again, I appreciate everyone's help with my cactus.

10 years ago

You bet!

Now is not the best time of year to re-pot plants, just want to make sure you know that up front. But since you're going to re-pot, here are some tips to make the transition smoother. Moisten the Orchid Mix thoroughly before using - be sure that the bark has absorbed moisture. You may also want to soak the root-ball to help remove as much of that old soil as possible. Try not to tear roots....just soak and then gently loosen with a chopstick or skewer :-)

Josh

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Boy, Josh - nope I didn't know this wasn't a good time. lol - When should I transplant them? When the right time comes, I'll definitely follow your instructions on how to do it and will be gentle with the roots. Thanks Josh. By the way, does it look like a Thanksgiving cactus?

10 years ago

Hello! Yes, most definitely Thanksgiving Cactus, Schlumbergera truncata.

Plants are at their lowest energy reserves right now (after the low light of Winter indoors), and so re-potting is best done once the plants have regained some of that lost energy in the Summer. Plenty of folks re-pot throughout the year, of course....but the recovery is fastest and surest during the Summer months.

Josh

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh,
    I'm not in a hurry, so I'll wait a couple of months. Thanks for the above explanation of light and energy.

10 years ago

My pleasure!

Josh

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz