Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krystalfoxfire

Caterpillar/Worm ID Please

krystalfoxfire
11 years ago

I was pulling branches down from our cherry tree, looking for larvae/eggs and I immediately found these (2) little critters amidst a ton of frass. I was reeeeeally hoping for newly hatched polyphemus moth larvae, having seen one moth many years ago, haha. :)

Anyway; small, green and light bands/stripes?

They were living in what appeared to be two maybe JUST started leaf-tents/folded leaves. Some silky material on the leaf edges. They move in a looping, inchworm fashion.

Note, that is NOT a tail/horn on the right, behind the critter. It's a small piece of leaf.

{{gwi:475650}}

Comments (6)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

I don't know what type of looper it is, but I'll look through my books later on tonight.
    I hope you don't mind me adding my looper for someone to (hopefully) identify. Vast numbers of cats suddenly broke out on my one and only bell pepper plant - they skeletonized about half the leaves, and now they're gone.

{{gwi:475653}}

Sherry

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Sherry, that cat shows up on the forum every year, and I never remember the moth. If I ever figure it out again, I will store the results for future reference!

(I can never remember the actor Harvey Keitel's name when he appears on TV--your cat is like that)

• krystalfoxfire
    Original Author
    11 years ago

An update on those green caterpillars...I went, suspiciously, from 3 cats to one cat and now I APPEAR TO HAVE a pupae rolled in a dirt cocoon.
    (I believe that for some reason or another the cats ate eachother, even though I provided fresh leaves from the tree they were in. I have only found one cocoon after sifting through the dirt while cleaning their container.)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Krystalfoxfire, caterpillars aren't known for their brains!

My caterpillar looks very similar to a linden looper, but even more like a cherry scallop shell/Rheumaptera prunivorata. It's said that R. prunivorata is the only inchworm that's gregarious, so it must be my cat, even though they were eating a bell pepper plant and not cherry leaves, the only host plant listed for this species - even the scientific name says cherry eater!

Wild black cherry trees are all over my property, so their Mama certainly had a choice - maybe she was confused? :)

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:475648}}

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

I think Sherry's cat is merely the common Southern Armyworm, Spodoptera eridania, a known pest of tomatoes and peppers.

bugguide node

There are dozens of dark green cats with broken or dashed lines, prominents, noctuids, etc. Your cat has the telltale little dark bumps of the armyworm near head and rear.

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

I think you're right, Larry - thanks!

Now let's hope my pepper plant recovers! :)

Sherry

Sponsored