I visited a well-known nursery and found these:

{{gwi:503491}} {{gwi:503492}} {{gwi:503493}} {{gwi:503494}} {{gwi:503495}}

NO - they are not plastic, but look like it

YES - they are spray-painted

Rina

Comments (21)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

OMG they do the same thing to orchids. I thought glueing flowers on them was bad enough. They will sell as people will believe it to be true color. Poor plants have been injected with dye. Have a great day all. Paula{{gwi:464087}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought they were injected but I did see couple of normal color petals on some - if injected, they all should be same color? (I dont think that orchids re-bloom the injected color? - like coloured hair, it will grow out...?) I asked the clerk, she said spray-paint (she was not 100% sure thou)...poor plants! Rina

• goddess9
    12 years ago

Oh my! :( they're pretty enough not spray painted.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

They do the same thing with white orchid flowers. They inject the flower spike with a colored dye, usually an indigo blue. People buy them up not realizing when they flower again they will be white!

• emerald1951
    12 years ago

Hi I have seen those orchids..I was wondering how they got that color of blue....and now theses...yuck....whats wrong with their natural colors...true plant lovers will not like theses....I don't.....linda

• landruc
    12 years ago

[EXPLETIVE DELETED]!

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Oh, that's just sick.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And BTW, did you notice the price tag of $9.99???
    Couple of them are trying to send flower spikes...Rina

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

That is false advertising. Norma

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

Yuck! That's a new form of plant mutilation. I've never seen that marketing technique before. It might appeal to folks who buy them like cut flowers, and throw them out when they die, but for people on this this forum, that sort of thing is anathema.

Brad

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

haha I guess someone might want them to give away as a gift or to have as a desk plant at their work, but what will happen when they grow out of the spray paint?

Here's a blog i found with photos of echeverias as they're growing new leaves after being sprayed.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Oh noooo...It's an abomination!! I was thinking they were dyed too, until you said you could see leaves their normal color & then CC found a link to some growing out of the spray.

And thanks, Brad, for making me learn a new word today: anathema! :D That fits!!

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

I suspect people will buy them like a cut flower. I can't imagine that photosynthesis can take place with paint/dye in leaves like that. Someone with more knowledge about chlorophyll will have to clarify that for me. Ignoring the color, what is the name of the plant?

Penny

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

I took what I could see off the labels & Googled a bit. Seems they have a Facebook page named: Terra - Where Colour Lives. So, I guess that's what they're all about...color!

Then I scrolled down to find they put 7 pix in an album called Gardens in Glass (like on the label). They show a regular Echeveria pulidonis with a painted one (rusty red) sitting in sphagnum moss, so I suppose they don't expect it to live for long.

They also had a group of 3 Echeveria: a lime runyonii, a rusty-red frilly hybrid & a purple XGraptoveria 'Debbi'.

The caption for their album is: Inspiring indoor gardens help warm up our indoor spaces!

They have several things in glass, with just rocks, or w/bits of sphagnum & rocks, looking artsy...not like they will keep any plant alive...so, like a cut flower (as someone else said).

Needless to say, I'm not going to "Like" the page, just so I can go scream at them!

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, I'm not seeing where you have to "like" the page in order to scream at 'em. I'm seeing I'm able to write something regardless. And I'm tempted.

It disgusts me that people buy this crap. And I think it has a little to do with people having absolutely no taste...I can't say I'd want something nature-related and yet that blatantly artificially colored in my house. And again, why not get a fake plant...

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Well I did figure out I could write a comment, but just wen I signed onto FB to do it, it wouldn't load their page fully, or mine...or anyone else's FB page, so I gave up for the time being. I think my steaming vibes made everything go haywire!! I will go back!

I suppose these colored things might be like getting green beer on St. Patrick's Day, or sprayed carnations to make your prom dress. Ha ha!

• andrewofthelemon
    12 years ago

Ya, i see the blue orchids ALL THE TIME!!!!@!@!#$!$ at my grocery store, makes me mad

• flowerpottipper
    12 years ago

They also spray paint poinsettias....I remember when I first saw the blue orchids, I just had to have one, but then I discovered they where dyed that color, suddenly the appeal to wanting one went away...

Nature and nature's colors are already beautiful, why would they ruin it??

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Now that is plain white trash plants...what a waste.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Mara,

That's insulting WT, if that's possible. This is a crime against succulenity.

Rina,

What nursery did you see them at? I'll have to have a word with them, seeing as I'm being seen as an authority on matters succulent in the southern BC interior. I'm already painting the picket signs here.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They were at Terra, located in Milton, 12800 Britannia Rd; Ontario. This is first time I was in this greenhouse (maybe last too...).
    Tha sales clerk looked little surprised when I commented that it's awfull what is done to plants, I think they did not get that many complaints yet. The picket signs are great idea! Rina