Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luthien79

Echinopsis hybrid seedlings...

luthien79
18 years ago

These were taken when the seedlings were just under 2 weeks old.

No artificial light has been used, only heat. At the time of the photographs, I think there were still a couple of pots (23 in all) that hadn't had any germination but I'm happy to say that all of the pots now have, at least, some little green blobs residing in them, haha.

Even in these photos, some of the seedlings were sporting their first tiny hair like spines, lol.

{{gwi:469725}}

{{gwi:469726}}

Toni-Marie

Comments (9)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Well done. Are these from your own plants?

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Great job Toni-Marie.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• luthien79
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello and thanks.

These are from my own plants yes. The last two flowering seasons I have cross pollinated. I have year old seedlings growing on in the greenhouse from crossings I made the year before.

Toni-Marie

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

So I have to wait a few years yet for the new Toni-Marie series of Echinopsis to be released?

• luthien79
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, the Hudson hybrids are on their way, haha.

Toni-Marie

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

They're looking good. And from your own seed too.

• alealdo
    18 years ago

Nice nursery you have there!
    I have started sowing in these days and I have all the possible doubts...
    I'm collecting all experiences from more expert growers. How do you water them when they are at that stage? From bottom or top, how often?
    Thx

Alessandro

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Very good, but what do you do with them all? I wont grow seeds as 1 I have no source of bottom heat and 2 I dont want to be overrun with lots of the same plant.

• luthien79
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, with hybrids, these can quite easily turn out completely different to each other despite having the same parents. With species, it would be different.

When they flower, any hybrid that doesn't make my grade will be given away or sold really cheap on ebay, haha. I'll not keep them unless they are special enough to be named.

Still, one who grows from seed might as well have some spare space to grow them on in as they get bigger.

As for care, I generally water from below but there are a couple of pots in the middle that dry out faster than the ones round the edge so, to save watering the other pots that don't need doing, I might carefully water those from the top but it doesn't seem to affect anything as long as you are careful not to dislodge seedlings and such.
    The propagator cover being on seems to keep the pots moist quite well so I don't need to water a lot. In the photo, the cover was taken off.
    I just give them a bit if they look like they are starting to get a bit dry.
    When the seedlings are a little older, allowing the surface of the medium to dry out between watering helps prevent the growth of fungus.

Toni-Marie