Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babeicandisco

Help identifying these two succulents.

babeicandisco
11 years ago

Hi, I would like to know what kind of succulents these are. Eventually want to put them in a reptile vivarium but want to make sure they're safe first. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Tall one is Crassula perforata 'Variegata', smaller one I will leave to one of the others.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Small one is an Echeveria (derenbergerii?) - neither plant is suitable for a vivarium, in that they'll die there fairly soon (vivariums, terrariums and the like aren't hospitable to these plants, which need air movement and not a lot of humidity). The Crassulaceae (which both of these plants belong to, from the Old World (right plant) and the New World (the ech) have members which are extremely toxic to animals, but maybe your reptilians wouldn't chew on them anyway - I don't know that these particular species are poisonous/toxic, but one would want to do some further research on the specific species involved.

• babeicandisco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They're both on the reptile safe plant list and they're not going into a very humid environment with open screen top. 50% humidity which is what my house sits at.

• babeicandisco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But thank you so much for identifying!

• paul_
    11 years ago

What herp are you thinking of? Though these plants may be on the "safe list" from the herp standpoint, live plants in a herp tank is rarely a good idea from the plants' view. Why, you ask?

1) Herps, in general, beat the crap out of plants in vivariums. Snakes, large lizards (leopard gecko size or bigger), tortoises, etc will flatten a plant in no time. (Think about how quickly grasses outside get flattened and killed off if they are in a traffic area. It is even worse in a viv as the herp has less places to travel to begin with.) Tortoises and some lizards will chow on vegetation in a viv.

2) Most plants require far better lighting for their health/well being than most non-plant people realize -- cacti and succulents even more so, typically. Managing this in a viv is problematic at best.

3) Watering will require great care on your part. In the confines of a tank, one overwatering mistake could very easily result in dead plants.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Not to second guess the master Jeff, but the Echeveria is small but looks more like Echeveria imbricataexcept it doesn't have a good glaucous color. You'll have to wait until it grows some.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Master of nothing, Howard, is I. Thanks for whatever correct name you can provide. I know less about Echeverias than I do about Celine Dion.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I would have guessed that ech to be Echeveria "lola". I am no expert either.