Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawsntails

Forceing tulip bulbs

pawsntails
14 years ago

Hello all!

Mabe some of you have experince forceing bulbs and can give me some tips :)

I bought some bulbs and would really love to have some tulips in a pot in my house this year.

So do I just throw the bulbs in the freezer for 6 weeks then plant them? Or should I plant the bulbs in the pot then put them in the freezer. And how long exaclty do I need to freeze them?? I dont want to wait to long hahaha.

Any other tips would be great :)

thanks!!!!!

Comments (6)

• ianna
    14 years ago

for tulip,hyacinths, etc. bulbs -don't throw them in the freezer. In fact, don't throw any bulbs in freezers. you are supposed to chill them in the fridge . Put them in paper bags and in your crisper for a few weeks. In fact you could have done this back in teh fall and taken them out this spring. Plant them in pots, add water and they will start popping up.

However, you didn't mention what kind of bulbs you have. In fact, I'm curious as to why you'd have tulip bulbs at this time of the year. Tulips normally come out in the fall. So is it possible you have another kind of plant?

• ianna
    14 years ago

I didn't read the subject line so you do have tulip bulbs. You see tulips are dug up and out of the ground early the previous year to prepare them for shipment and sales which starts around Sept. I've seen them sold earlier in August. Which means that tulips still not in the ground now, have been out of the ground since that time in the previous year. Are these fresh tulips that you got?

• pawsntails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello, thanks for your reply :) I accctually have some left from fall planting, I bought 2 huge bags from cosco and didnt have enough areas to plant them in. (so no there not fresh bulbs) They dont sell any tulip bulbs around here in the spring or summer just the fall.
    I am sure they will go moldy soon...... I kept them in my basement and now thought it would be pretty neat to plant some in pots for my house, tulips are my favorite :)

So I should put them in the fridge for a while??

thanks

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I would put them in containers and leave them outside right now. Not sure how they'd do since tulips need a couple of months of cold, but they might grow now and you could transplant them later in the season. Or you could plant them in the containers and leave them in the fridge for a few weeks if you have the room.

• ianna
    14 years ago

In my opinion, don't force a bloom otherwise they would exhaust all their energies and die. I would simply put them in the ground and wait out until next season.

The next time around. leave them in the fridge but never in the freezer. The freezer will kill off the bulbs.

• pawsntails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok thanks guys!!!!! I will try both ways :) See what works!