Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce75_gw

are these roses??

joyce75
17 years ago

If anyone lives in Burlington you may have seen these flowers all over the parking lot at the Power Centre on Brant St. Can anyone tell me what they are and how to propagate them? I have a feeling they may be shrub roses but not sure. They are also blooming on trafalgar in Oakville. And they smell lovely! Thanks, Joyce

{{gwi:530792}}

Comments (9)

• janetr
    17 years ago

Yes, roses. Some kind of rugosa. They can be propagated by cuttings. Some rugosas sucker also and they can be dug up and transplanted (not that I would recommend taking a shovel to somebody else's roses!). You could also try harvesting a rosehip in the fall and wintersowing the seeds. Rose seeds do need stratification, so wintersowing should fit the bill.

Hope this helps.

Janet's Garden

• raptorfan
    17 years ago

hi, i believe it to be a rugosa called Hansa. I have one and it smells beautiful and is super tough (it is curbside). They are pretty popular so you should be able to purchase easily.

cheers
    Yvonne

• mandyy12
    17 years ago

Hi: I believe that Yvonne has hit the name & plant quite correctly.

Bill

• joyce75
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. Joyce

• sydseeds
    17 years ago

I wish you lived near me........I could give you fist full of suckers that escape everywhere on a weekly basis.

I've been pulling suckers of these things for 5 years now -

I've even poured 'wipe out' on them, only these rose suckers enjoy the toxic cocktail drink and continue to pop up more suckers as a reward for my efforts.

When you see them growing in these concrete enclosures in parking lots, there is a reason for that - if they actually planted them near any sembalance of soil, they'll take off and sucker everywhere - it would be one thing if they were blooming but 90% of the suckers don't bloom any flowers - just empty one stick prickly wonders....just a little fore-warning on what you might be in for.

• leo_prairie_view
    17 years ago

Yes, it is definitely a rugosa, but I would suggest Jens Munk instead of Hansa, it is shorter and the flowers more refined. We have Fru Dagmar Hastrop, a parent of Jens Munk and Darts Dash and wouldnÂt be without them. They also have very large hips which last most of the winter. If you want them not to spread consider getting them grafted instead of own root.
    Leo

• dllfb
    17 years ago

Do these flower all summer long...are they used as a hedge?

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

You say by a parking lot, I would then presume a Pavement Series rose, perhaps 'Pierette' Pavement, very tough rose for areas like that.

'Pierette' Pavement is a R. rugosa hybrid, free flowering, vigorous shrub with semi-double pure pink blooms.

Sharon

• janetr
    17 years ago

Pavement is a European term in this instance, referring to sidewalks. The series was given the name because they are low-growing and suitable for planting along sidewalks. No connection there to parking lots whatsoever. Not that they couldn't be planted beside parking lots, but rugosas, because of they are inexpensive, very hardy and low- to no-maintenance are what you will usually find in that kind of setting.

I think the thornier varieties would make a great hedge around a veggie garden, but the suckering might be a bit of a problem.

Janet's Garden