Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skygardening

Aquatic Canna Stuttgart?

skygardening
17 years ago

My Stuttgart keeps burning, even in the shade. I have an aluminum pot 2' deep and 2 1/2' wide. Would it do better in water in this pot? How would I go about it? Are there other type cannas that I could add with it? What kinds have people tried in water?

Sky~~

Comments (8)

• littleme
    17 years ago

I HAVE SEEN CANNA PRETORIA (AKA 'BENGAL TIGER') IN LARGE POTS THAT WERE TOTALLY SUBMERGED IN A POND OF WATER WITH CARP SWIMMING ABOUT IN THE POND. THERE WERE AT LEAST 2 VERY LARGE TUBS OF THIS CANNA WITH THE ENTIRE RIMS OF THE POTS (IN WHICH THESE CANNAS WERE PLANTED) COMPLETELY UNDER WATER. THE CANNAS LOOKED HEALTHY AND BEAUTIFUL.

• marquest
    17 years ago

Sky, I grow mine in a pot with no drainage. I leave at least an inch at the top of no soil so I keep it soaking wet. That way I can have it in a inch of water. I also give it 1 tbl of epsom salt in a gallon of water once a month. I have it in morning sun. Which I am sure is not real sun compared to your zone. In your zone I would probably keep it in the shade.

If you do these things I think your browning will stop.

I have also grown Pink Sunburst and Tropicana in bog condition. The hotter it is the more water it seems cannas can take.

If you doubt this wet process for this plant check out Bernie here in the Canna forum.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/canna/msg0814564325672.html

• skygardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Mimi and Marquest. I'm going to give it a try. I have Tropicanna that isn't doing that great in the sun here either. Might have to move it to more shade. I'm hoping to get Pink Sunburst in a trade this fall. I have Thai Princess and that one might do well with Stuttgart. I've been looking around the web and did see Bengel Tigar in an arrangement of container water gardens. I'd like to keep it empty enough to get two gold fish in. I hope this small size will satisfy me as I would really like a large pond. Are we ever satisfied? LOL

• Bonbon_N_KS
    17 years ago

skygardening, where did you get your Thai Princess? They aren't readily available in my area, I probably need to order on line this fall.....

• marquest
    17 years ago

Sky if you do not want to turn your pond into a Canna tank why not take some of the dirt out of the pot and make the pots mini ponds canna holders. LOL!!

Yes you can never have a big enough pond. Then you start wainting all those pretty pond plants and you do not have enough room.

• skygardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I traded with Dennis Bishop. He had very few up for trade last year and I was one of the lucky ones. I love it.

• butterflychaser
    17 years ago

Any canna can be grown in a pond. They all love water, and in some areas, you'll see them growing along a ditch bank.

The trick is, don't put a bare rhizome in the water. Grow it so it has a nice stalk and some foliage and then set it shallowly, with just its feet, in the water. Bare rhizomes, with no foliage to suck up the water, will rot. Foliage is the key.

NancyAnn

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

NancyAnn is correct.

Those of you in colder zones should not leave Cannas in the pond during winter either.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus