Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyl345

how come.....

phyl345
17 years ago

just wondering, how come i can read the canadian w/s forum, but can't post? how come i can post here? just wondering, but my feelings are kindof hurt (grin)

actually, i REALLY would love to know what the reason could be....it's a very new policy, yes? i can't even ASK them seeing i can't post there...what did we do....

Comments (17)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Ummmm... That's strange. Trudi posted earlier and mmqchdygg also posted. Just wondering if there was a glitch in the system when you tried?

Why don't you try again later today and see how things go?. Let us know.

Oue seed exchange on the Canadian WS Forum wasn't working for a while, but I see they've got it all fixed now.

• ianna
    17 years ago

That shouldn't have been a problem. I also had a problem making changes in my member information page and finally gave up trying. I couldnt update my exchange page for example.

ianna

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

nope, it's still closed... on sept. l2 (the very FIRST time i had even seen that forum!) i posted a very polite, civilized question on the thread obsessive/compulsive winter sower - or something like that. then, within a day or two, i checked back....and yankees were banned. (grin)

it certainly isn't the end of the world, BUT i would love to know WHY,WHY,WHY???

Maybe i'm just doing something wrong?

p.s. i'm allowed to READ; just not post....don't remember if i made that distinction when i asked the question above.....

• jroot
    17 years ago

Posting worked fine for me today. Maybe it is a boundary issue.

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

A lot of forums have restrictions on who can post, but they are usually the exchange foruns. I notice that the WS forum doesn't have the Canadians only restriction that the Canadian Garden Exchange has. I know I can post to region specific American forums, so there shouldn't be any reson to restrict posters to Canada only.

phyl345 - have you asked another American to try posting?

BP

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

maybe you don't see the canadian only restriction cuz you are canadian(????) it's there for ME though...i'll go check again....just in case....

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yup, i checked...it's STILL there....

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

Why do you want to post on a Canadian Forum?
    Canadians are restricted from other exchange forums - it doesn't bother me. There is a Winter Sowing forum for everyone and I believe Canadians requested one be set up just for them ... different garden zones, different weather patterns, etc.

• mora
    17 years ago

Phyl, it seems to me that you would benefit from info on the CWS forums being in zone 5 so it doesn't seem right that you can't post! Lets hope GW gets in the zone so to speak, and fixes this.
    Since there aren't separate WSing forums for each of the many, many Countries that participate in the Garden Web, zone similarities are not only the only game in town, but add to the overall pleasure in sharing our experiances and meeting fellow gardeners from all over the world,welcome and good gardening, M

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks mora!!

craftygardener, "why do you want to post on a canadian forum" .. wow, i know the written word can sometimes be taken the wrong way, but i think mora "heard" the same thing i did.

i looked back over my above posts and am wondering if i came across as a "snotty american" or something?? i HONESTLY thought i was trying to be cute & humorous...failed again..story of my life (GRIN)

i just started gardening....and i LOVE ALL the forums...and CERTAINLY feel i could learn alot from CANADIAN gardeners..i live & garden in zone 5.

• ianna
    17 years ago

Hi Phyl,

I would like to welcome you in our forums anytime. The same goes for everyone of all nationalities. I'm sorry you were made to feel this way. I go to the US every year and visit with relatives and friends and do enjoy your lovely country. I am always made to feel WELCOME and at HOME.

I've been a long term gardenweb member before exchanges with the US became restricted. The restrictions have nothing to do with country identity issues but more to do with disease and economic controls. I know that I cannot even take a mere apple across the border because of such restrictions.

I believe then that the reasons given for the restrictions on exchanges is to control disease and perhaps to give both Mail order based US and Canadian Plant companies and edge when it comes to selling their products cross border. The exchanges have become quite popular and it would be in the interest of Canadian plant Companies for us Canadians to restrict (and thus) control our access to getting seeds/plants from teh US - and same with the US plant companies It comes out of a mutual trade agreement.

So Canadians may post in discussion forums but not on exchanges with the US and vice versa. (I wonder if we also cannot do exchanges with other countries like the UK - wonder if anyone has tried?)

Anyway, welcome

Ianna

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way ... my apologies to you phyl345.
    Specific forums were set up for different parts of all countries to accomodate climate changes, zone differences etc. I don't read on forums that aren't specific to my zones as I don't want to get the wrong information.
    Sorry again.

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

apology definitely accepted!!!i suspected it was a "coming across the wrong way" issue....now i have a question for you....i live a long way from you (chicagoland) but if i'm in zone 5, doesn't that mean my growing conditions are similar to yours? i've been gardening for only 3 yrs. and there is SO MUCH i don't understand....so i'm looking forward to your answer....phyl

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

American garden zone 5 is different to Canadian garden zone 5b ... I don't know why but they are just graded differently in the 2 countries. That is one of the reasons I stick with the zones I know.

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

I had to go hunting for a map that shows the zones. This one shows your area (I think) with you listed as a higher number zone than me. This is the American zone map.

Here is a link that might be useful: American zone map

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

This zone map is Canadian and show the area where I live. I ma listed as 5b almost 6a in Canadian numbers. Hope this explains some of the differences.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian zone map

• clairdo2
    17 years ago

just checking to see if i can post.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting