Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grrrnthumb

Nurseries/Gardens to visit in Southern CA

grrrnthumb
16 years ago

I'll be coming down from Seattle to visit southern California in August and I'm hoping you all might be able to help me find places I'd like to visit. I'm looking for nurseries that carry the rare and unusual or maybe extra-big nurseries that have more standard plants. Also any must-see botanical gardens there.

I'm a brugmansia collector but am also a fan of most tropicals: aroids, anthuriums, nepenthes, gingers, heliconias, epiphylums, orchids, plus anything strange & different that you don't see on the shelf every day.

Many thanks for your help.

- Tom H.

Comments (14)

• youreit
    16 years ago

The link below is from the FAQ, thanks to, and compiled by, DavisSue.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern California nurseries and gardens worth a visit

• deep___roots
    16 years ago

botanical gardens: Huntington is a must-see. 15 bucks to get in. Your eyes will pop out of your head. Check out the epis growing in the trees!

The list is good, but I thought you might like some editorializing.

There's lots of good nurseries too. I'm only familiar with a few. I live in Northern CA, but visit LA once in a while.

• wcgypsy
    16 years ago

To that list I would add:
    The Plant Depot
    33413 San Juan Creek Rd
    San Juan Capistrano
    (949) 240-2107
    plantdepot.com

• wetfeet101b
    16 years ago

>>Huntington is a must-see
    I agree with that. We were there a few years ago and it was awesome.
    One warning though, the garden is HUGE. Probably over 10 acres or more for just the gardens alone.
    You probably need at least half a day to fully enjoy it.

• buddyben
    16 years ago

Descanso Gardens. I think its city is LaCanada? Famous for their camellias but they have lots of other plants and specialty gardens too.

• bahia
    16 years ago

Quail Botanic Garden is another must see in Encinitas, Buena Creek Gardens Nursery in San Marcos has alot of variety, as does Rancho Soledad Nursery. I would also highly recommend both the Huntington Botanic Gardens and the Los Angeles County Botanic Garden, which are both close to Pasadena. The gardens at the newer Getty Museum are also worth a visit, as are the San Diego Zoo and various gardens at Balboa Park in downtown San Diego. You probably would also enjoy the palm/cycad selection at Jungle Music Palms in San Diego as well.

I forget the actual name of Tom Piergrossi's nursery in San Diego county, but this is another great nursery for a vast selection of less common plants. Michael Kartuz's nursery in Vista is also worth a visit, and he does mail order as well.

• californian
    16 years ago

Here is a link to a list of all the licensed nurseries in California, just click on the category you are looking for.
    http://plant.cdfa.ca.gov/nurserylicense/nlmenu.asp

• susi_so_calif
    16 years ago

There are some other great nurseries in San Diego County that haven't been mentioned yet. You'll find them among the sponsors of the San Diego Horticultural Society. Speaking of which... Aug. 13 the SDHS meeting will have Judy Wigand, a garden writer and former nursery owner, speaking about Gardening with a Waterwise Approach. The meeting is free and open to the public - all are welcome - over 300 people usually attend. Details on meeting, sponsors, etc. are on the website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Diego Horticultural Society

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

I volunteer at the Huntingtonn Botanical Gardens, our cactus nursery is 10-12 acres about. We have a large world class Japanese Garden, we now have 1/3 of a finished World ClassChinese Garden which will be the largest outside of China, we have a tropical greenhouse World Class, we have a Shapespear Garden( I'll explain that if needed) we have an Australian Garden, we have a World Class Rose Garden, we have a childrens garden, and learning center, we have the largest plam garden west of the Rockies. We have several speciality greenhouses for the public, Calif, has many worthy gardens, one in San Francisco, one at U.C.L.A. yes the Quail Gardens, and the Drescendo Gardens, to many to name here. Sorry may hands are not able to type that long. The Huntington is considered a world class garden because they have close to 1000,000 plant documented and recorded. We have a Herberium, have lecture halls, and training centers, we take in students from all over the world to train. It is a must see. It opens at 10:30 and closes 4:30 it has a cafteria, and a tea room, wear very comforatble walking shoes, and if you need a wheelchair be sure to reserve it. We have free lecture days, check what is in flower the month that you plan to visit. Oh, yes they have docent tours. I forgot out famous library, and art galleries. Norma

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

I love Seaside Gardens in Carpinteria. Lotus ponds, Australia, Palm, and Native California display gardens, unusual plants for sale. You can visit the orchid growers next door and then pop over to the Santa Barbara Botanical Gardens.

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Rogers Garden which is a retail huge nursery and Garden. 'Lotus Land" Santa Barbara Area, resv. required. Some one here was requesting Nursery plants,( that are not in Box Stores), that you can't find any other place Private nurseries and Regional and National Sales.

Calif. Cactus Center, beautifully staged, older plants, purchased from private owners, this is worth a visit even if you don't buy a thing, they have out standing pots, and gravels of all colors. Soil mix available.
    Norma

• slave2thefur
    15 years ago

Tom Piergrossi's nursery is for sale, but he still will show folks around. On Saturday mornings, he can usually be found at the Vista Farmer's market off Melrose / 78, located at the Court complex.

• dicot
    15 years ago

The South Coast Botanic Garden on the Palos Verdes Peninsula is worth a visit for more than the plants alone. The ecological value of the beautification of an old landfill is interesting and the views of Catalina Island and the region are quite nice. Time it with good weather and a trip to a lookout spot during whale migration season, Dec-April, and that's a good day of family fun.

• Bryan Lampl
    15 years ago

I'd recommend Upland Nursery in Orange. One of the best selections available.