Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nato_gw

School project: terarrium

nato
18 years ago

Hey guys, I Haven't been to these forums in a long long time, but I'v got another project to do.

For my senior year in High School every student is required to create a projecet that shows that they have learned how to manage thier time, and to manage creating thier own project. Well for my project i decided to create 3 terrariums, 1 for North American plants, 2nd for High Land Nepenthes and 3rd for Low land Nepenthes. It has finally come for the time to began organizing the plant list and buying/trading them. I have grown many North American plants so I know which once to use, infact I have a bog garden that i build in my back yard full of them, but the problem lyes in the other 2 tanks.

Here is where I need your help, what plants should i go for in thoes 2 other tanks, the low and high land Nepethes? Price is not an issue, for this investment will last me a long time, for i have always wanted a reason to create a terarrium full of Nepenthes and here is my chance. It would be great if you guys could list plants that would go well with each other, and places where i can buy / trade for these plants.

Comments (7)

• bux123
    18 years ago

Hi nato,

You can visit the following web site :

www.borneoexotics.com

You can check on it lowland and highland Nepenthes and find a company to buy some of them in your area.

Hope that's help you,

bux123

• Bruce_in_ct
    18 years ago

Do you plan to keep the Neps in the terrariums forever? If so, you need to focus on small growing species. Or at least slow growing ones. How far are you from Eugene, OR, where Dean Cook runs flytraps.com? He's a great source of plants and information.

Here is a link that might be useful: flytraps.com

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Ive only grown HIGHLAND neps, I vote 100% on Nepenthes Ventricosa, its small(shorter sqat leaves), hardy and easy to grow.
    You can pick them up cheaply from Dean at www.flytraps.com

Cheers

Sheldon

• back2eight
    18 years ago

If you are familiar with growing North American pitcher plants then you are aware of their dormancy requirments. These plants are temperate and are not good candidates for the terrarium. They get too big for a terrarium, terrariums are usually too humid, and they need cold winters. If you are just setting it up temporarily for the sake of a project and then plan to remove them and put them outside after the project is over then that should not harm them, but they should not be grown year round in a terrarium. When you take them out of it you will have to harden them off to the lower humidity outside of the terrarium.

• nato
    Original Author
    18 years ago

[/quote] If you are familiar with growing North American pitcher plants then you are aware of their dormancy requirments. These plants are temperate and are not good candidates for the terrarium. They get too big for a terrarium, terrariums are usually too humid, and they need cold winters. If you are just setting it up temporarily for the sake of a project and then plan to remove them and put them outside after the project is over then that should not harm them, but they should not be grown year round in a terrarium. When you take them out of it you will have to harden them off to the lower humidity outside of the terrarium. [/quote] Back2eight

I know that the North American Pitchers are not good for a full blown out terrarium, such as thoes with a lid and lights, for that i was thinking of keeping the lid off, and just having the tank besicaaly be a huge pot for the plants. Also my 30 gallon tank shuold be enough for these plants because it is an unconventionally tall tank. Also I am not planning on keeping these plants in the terrarium for the rest of thier lives, the reason I am making a terrarium is because this project requires a product that we can bring to school and show to the judges, and unfortunatly i cannot bring my Bog Garden to them, so I had to go with the terarrium idea. Also for the Nepenthese I am not planning on keeping them in the small tanks for long. I am planning on buying a larger tank, in which I would set up so that the plants would have a lot of space to grow.

Also I had a question, how would I go by climatizing the plants? I have always had a problem with this because when i grew my seeds in the terrarium and then took them out most of the plants would die, I am guessing from the difference in Temperature and in Humidity.

Thanks for all the help and i'll check www.flytraps.com

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Hi to climatize them is easy.
    If you have them in a tank, just slide the lid open a little each day over a period of 2-3 weeks.
    If its in a pot, leave the dome on, then lift one side 1" in height with something (matchstick or whatever) and leave for 2-3 days, then do a second side for same amount of time, then all four sides.
    Then remove the dome, if any wilting occurs you can mist the plant to help it through this time, just keep giving it the good light and soil it needs.

Cheers

Sheldon

• oskaaaybiz_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Are you in search of topics,ideas,methodologies est. for your next school project? then i have a site to recommend for you and is www.schoolprojecttopics.com.ng . You can also add your own topics.