Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloe_fan

Need more instruction; can you help?

aloe_fan
14 years ago

Hello,

I have read nearly everything in the archives that I could find regarding winterizing your plants indoors. Maybe it would be good to add the plants that I grow and find out what you recommend. This is really the first season that my collection has grown beyond the bounds of crassula. That being said here is what I am growing:

Aloe Nobilis

Aloe Ramosissima

Aloe Glauca

Aloe Claviflora

Aloe Sladeniana

Aloe Distans

Aloe Suprafoliata

Agave V. Minima

Agave Vic. Reginae Compacta

Agave Titanota

Crassula are no problem here in Southern Missouri, but here is my question. Based on the forum, starting in October can I just bring them into a cold room (roughly 40 degrees and at times in the 30' for a spell) and leave them with no water until spring? My only fear here is the feeder roots will die back and come spring my plants will rot. Is this really worth worrying over? Can you water the plants a bit in winter to avoid feeder root loss? Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

On another note, I am growing Aloe Polyphylla seedlings that I sowed myself. Do you have any special notes for the tiny seedlings this winter? How I wish the wife and I lived in another more hospitable climate for growing these beautiful plants. Hey X, do you have any advice for me; I have been reading that you grow A. Polyphylla in New York? Thanks everyone.

B.

Comments (9)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Very few Aloe can take the 6B winters. I'm in zone 10 the Madagascar Aloe are all taken into the greenhouse for protection. The larger species from Arica I leave out, I actually lost a few this year, because of their location in my Garden. Look up each one if the group doesn't help you out tomorrow, I don't think you shoud have problems until Winter sets in and the temps. drop below 55F. Norma

• xerophyte NYC
    14 years ago

I leave all my Aloes in my garage all winter long (Dec-Jan-Feb). There is practically no light, and it stays cold (mid 30's to mid 50's F). They all handle it perfectly. I can't think of any reason why all Aloe species would not do equally well. As soon as temps are suitable in the spring, they go outside, usually by mid March. Sunburn is an issue only on warm days, so acclimate accordingly.

October seems a little early to start bringing plants inside: when is your first frost? I easily keep my Aloes outdoors until Thanksgiving.

The point you raise about keeping the rootlets alive is an excellent one. The soil mix ideally should not dry out completely. A light watering once a month during cold weather dormancy will not harm a healthy plant grown in a porous mix. I use lots of Turface, which being a clay, has excellent water holding capacity. This helps keep feeder roots alive because there is always some moisture present. Peat, for many reasons, is a substrate that should be avoided especially in your case.

I have never grown polyphylla from seed, but I would imagine you should try to keep it somewhere warmer indoors with as much light as possible for the first winter. It may not be big enough to handle the cold drought. Come the following spring, grow it on and by the following winter it should be able to deal with the winter. UV light apparently is needed to maintain the tight spiral so it must be grown outdoors as much as possible. If your summers get hot regularly (temps above the high 80's F) then polyphylla might be a challenge. Absolutely submerge the pot into the garden soil, and use cold water to keep the roots cool.

x

• aloe_fan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fantastic, thank you for answering my questions. Usually the first frost is around the end of October (around Halloween) or by the first week in November, though since this is Missouri that is not always the case. This past weekend I found a garden center here in my area that can special order Turface MVP without problem, so I can't wait until it arrives. I do use peat, though it is in very limited amounts. My soil is composed of:
    perlite
    crushed bark chips
    crushed granite
    little compost
    little peat
    The way I mix the ingredients that are available to me makes the mix very gritty. This past week it rained every day and all my plants have actually grown and are starting to push roots through the bottom of the pots. Interestingly, my seedling Ramosissima is pushing roots and growing at the moment. Though I agree that using Turface and getting rid of peat is the best idea for overall longevity of both plant and root health. So when the Turface comes in I will be re potting all my plants accordingly. I guess time will tell, though my area does not help.
    Polyphylla is going to be the most challenging here in my area. I'm still not sure what I will do when they are big enough to put outside. I want to sink their pots into the ground, but are there common problems with root mealies and other animals burrowing into the pot and causing root issues? Alternatively, can you keep them in dappled shade during the hottest times of summer and use cool water? I know these are notoriously hard to grow plants, but it seems to me they would be very rewarding when they are growing right.
    Thanks!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

AF,

If you do a search here on Aloe polyphylla, you'll find lots of information from X and Paracelsus, including some I'm-feeling-dizzy-they're so-pretty photos of the plant in bud and bloom.

• aloe_fan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You got it, already made the search. My favorites are the flower shots. These plants are really neat! Yeah I hear ya, drooling all over the place.

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

I'm-feeling-dizzy-they're so-pretty

:-)

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

I'm-feeling-dizzy-they're so-pretty

:-)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

My humble experiece with Aloe polyphylla is that they need a certain count of leaves before they spirel, meaning age. The come from high altitude/climate foggy cool locations, don't do well at low altitudes. They like San Francisco weather with fog coming in frequently. It's the Madagascar climate plants that may give you trouble. The will need warmth, and humidity. Norma

• aloe_fan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone, your advice is very helpful. Hopefully the A.Polyphylla that I am growing will do well. I have tried 3 different methods to grow them. Her's to a good growing season.
    B.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor