Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucygreenthumb

Black swallowtail caterpillar - does he have a chance???

lucygreenthumb
16 years ago

Hi all,

I was puttering around in my garden this weekend and discovered a large black swallowtail caterpillar on the parsey I'd planted to feed them. Great, except that we're in zone 4 with our average first frost during the month of October.

So I'm wondering why I have a caterpillar this late in the season and how he'll get through the winter. He's about an inch and a half long and absolutely beautiful. I'm hoping he'll atleast become a butterfly - though proabably with a shorter lifespan????

Comments (5)

• flcajun
    16 years ago

I would bring him in to raise to the chrysalis stage and then keep in a cool (not freezing) place so it won't come out till next summer. I know more will comment. Make sure he gets plenty of fresh food till this happens.

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

If you leave him outside, he will pupate and then overwinter where ever he attached, and come out in the spring. Of course there's the chance he will get eaten now, or his chrysalis could be damaged in a bad storm, etc. etc.

If you want to raise him, do what flcajun said. A garage is or shed is a good place to keep a chrysalis, or a screened in porch that has some protection from the wind. What you don't want is to keep it inside your warm house, because it could emerge in the middle of the winter.

My first batch of Black Swallowtails overwintered, and the last chrysalis from this year is likely going to.

• butterfly_pixie
    16 years ago

Every year I find at least one or two black swallowtail caterpillars still eating outside even after our first frost. Once the sun comes out they warm up and continue about their business :)
    If I don't bring them into "protective custody" to raise indoors, then I'll put bridal netting over the plant (so the little guy doesn't wander off), held in place with rocks around the base, and let it finish eating and form its chrysalis on a plant stem.

~ Judy
    www.ButterflyNature.com

• lucygreenthumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all!
    I think I'll leave him outside - I don't cut back my butterfly garden in fall so the odds are in his favor. I appreciate the info on how to raise him myself - but I'd feel bad if he didn't make it. Thank you for the info - I had no idea how they overwintered.
    Lucy

• DYH
    16 years ago

I have two BST cats on the bronze fennel. I think one is about to pupate. I checked on him several times today. They were munching away so I put up some tall edging fence and some netting that doesn't touch the plants. The bluebirds are everywhere and they will surely find them without the netting. It was in the 90s here yesterday, but was 68 today so cooler weather is here.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!