Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

need help with fruit trees for southern Oregon!

Yes I know that this subforum is meant for California gardening; I looked thru the list of subforums and couldn't find anything for Oregon gardening and/or a subforum for sunset garden zones.

I am basically wondering if it's possible to grow sub-tropical fruit trees in coastal Oregon. By coastal I mean the southern most tip of Oregon, that's on the cusp of northern California. The city is Brookings. Also when Is say 'grow them' I mean without needing any protection aside from putting them in a southern area against a wall so they can absorb more heat.

According to what I've found with the growing season in brookings, it's pretty much frost free.

I'd like to know if you can grow cold hardy citrus (satsumas, tangerines, yuzu, sudachi, and kumquat) as well as some other subtropical fruits (bananas and pineapples). My inquiries are also about pomegranates, jujubes, and Asian persimmons.

I'm also wondering if you can just grow normal run-of-the-mill fruit tree varieties or if it would be too hot in Brookings (by 'normal' I mean apples, peaches, plums etc.)

Comments (5)

• socal23
    10 years ago

The problem with temperate fruits (stone fruits and apples etc.) in warm climates isn't heat - it's the lack of winter chill. You shouldn't have a problem.

Jujubes and Persimmons should perform quite well for you. The rest of your selections are more problematic. Bananas and Pineapples will decline and die from lack of warmth even if temperatures remain above freezing.

Most citrus won't sweeten well under those conditions, although Kumquat should be fine if protected from frost.

Ryan

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Brookings, Oregon has an extremely unique microclimate - it is considered a frost-free area like much of coastal southern California (9b/10a) and many subtropical species grow there with ease. In fact, this area offers a unique weather phenomenon known as the "Brookings effect", which is similar to the heating effect of SoCal's Santa Anas. It is very mild there year round - just as likely to see 70F in January as it is in July but rare to exceed high 80's even in midsummer.

Although I have no firsthand personal knowledge of the area, it is sometimes referred to as a "banana belt" and reportedly all manner of citrus, palms and bananas and other semitropical fruits grow well. With the more temperate fruits, you want to select varieties that excel in cool summer climates - any of the fruits that are recommended for the Puget Sound area should work well in Brookings.......we just can't grow lemons outdoors all year :-))

• Tristan Pierson
    9 years ago

When I visited Brookings I saw, queen palms, date palms, fan and windmill palms, cactus, agave, and mandarin oranges.

• Tastie Cereale
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but hoping OP (or others) have gained some experience with growing in/around Brookings. My dad spent most of my life 7 miles north of Brookings. He recently passed and left my brother and I his house and property. It's up a hill, less than a mile from the ocean. Heavily wooded, but actually often above the fog line in summer; sometime you can literally drive 150 ft. down the road and end up enrobed in fog while my dad's place is sunny. I always thought it was much colder up there than where I live (San Francisco Bay Area), as my dad frequently commented on how much more I could grow here than he could up there. However, after some research I see it's almost same USDA zone (Brookings is 9b, I'm 10a), and the same Sunset Zone 17. I have been successfully growing stone fruit, many species of passionflower, and a ton of other fruits, veggies, and flowers in my foggy, cool east bay yard. Tomatoes are a crapshoot, though cherry varieties usually fare well. I'm not clear why my dad seemed to think he couldn't grow many of those things on his land, and would love to hear from those who are successfully growing stone fruit and subtropicals in and around Brookings. Gardening and growing food is one of my biggest passions, so if the growing conditions up there are pretty much the same as what I'm accustomed to, that would probably be the deciding factor for me in keeping the property.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

I think you could grow more than your Dad thought there. Good luck. With global warming it should be great in Brookings.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus