Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savai_gw

I just bought a VFT and...

savai
16 years ago

I love it! BUT! There's something wrong...at least i think there is, i'm not sure. Some of the traps seem to be dead? two of them will not close and one of those two is halfway closed. The rest of the traps are closed and they are the bigger traps of the bunch. What should I do with the two small traps? Should I leave them be or what? And also, there are some pitch black traps, what should I do with those? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

It is just a leaf and it will grow new ones.
    You should cut off the dead traps to stimulate new growth.If it gets worse let us know.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Snip any dead leaves or traps. Leave ALL greenery, since it is photosynthesizing.

• savai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

now when you mean snip the trap, cut off the trap itself and leave the stem/stalk or cut the whole thing off together? Like I said though, I cant tell if it's dead or not, it hasnt closed at all since i brought it home while the other ones did.

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Just cut it as close to the base as possible.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I would cut anything that is black / dead. The leaf portion that is green is still alive.

• savai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, well one of my traps still has a fly in it and it's been about 3 days now, it hasnt opened yet, could that trap be dead??

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

When a venus flytrap catches an insect, it typically takes 5 days to 2 weeks for digestion to be complete then the trap reopens to catch another victim.

• savai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

if my traps are starting to turn yellow and black on the edges...what exactly does that mean?

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello savai,

Are all of the traps, including new leaves, beginning to yellow and blacken?

What conditions are you placing the plant in? Where did you buy it? What conditions was the plant in where you bought it?

Often we find poor, sick Venus Flytraps in stores with no light and buy one. When we get it home, we take off the humidity dome and place it in bright light and the plant subsequently dies back. Another problem is some people see the plants in shade in the store and think that it will grow well near their ivy plant on the coffee table with no light. Like a garden plant, Venus Flytraps need full sun, but to throw them out in full sun to start with will burn their leaves. Taking off the humidity dome will also sicken the plant if it is not done slowly by lifting the dome a little or punching several holes in it for a couple of weeks progressively to lower the humidity slowly before taking it off completely.

When adapting the plant to full sun, place it in a morning sun window for one week, a all day sun window the second week, and then outside in a sunny spot on a patio. It might get some leaf burn still, but at least the plant has some adaptation period to strengthen it before tossing out in different conditions so quickly.

The yellowing and blackening might be leaf damage from sunlight in an unadapted plant or might be a sign of worse problems if the plant shows signs of all of it's leaves dying back at one time. How much do you water it? Does the pot it came in have drainage? What kind of water are you providing the plant? Did any fertilizer get on or in the plant or it's soil?

For now, your plant needs good light and clean, mineral free water more than flies. Don't feed it anything for a few weeks and progressively adapt it and keep clipping off any blackened parts to prevent mold. If the pot has drainage, put a try under it with less than 1/4 the pot depth in water. Water it with distilled, rain, or reverse osmosis water with no mineral content. Make sure no fertilizer gets in the plant's soil, never use potting soil. If the plant was bought in poting soil, it will die in a few weeks. If it is in a brown chopped moss or long fiber sphagnum moss, a brown stringy organic substance, it is fine. If the pot does not have drainage, overwatering can lead to root rot, so punch some holes in the pot or repot the plant in a 5 inch pot with drainage and a water tray under it.

Keep trying to nurse this plant back to health.

• goryhole_telus_net
    13 years ago

Hello..
    I am not new to CP's, I have had pitchers, and sundews, and have had a red dragon, and your average VFT's. I haven't had them for a decade, But have taken up growing one in a Terrarium, (I also keep amphibeans, and lizards in other terrariums, and have proper lighting on them all...
    However, when I saw that there was some VFT's for sale (They came in a plastic tube, with a cover on it, Not a dome, more like a cylinder, and there were 4 folders and a healthy blush, so? I brought it home.
    I repotted it, as opposed to the tube, and even though I had a wee bit of trouble after repotting, within 3 weeks? It exploded into many growing, healthy green growths...

I have been leaving an adequate amount of light, water in a dish, 1/2 an inch of collected rainwater...(constant supply up here in Vancouver, BC) it has great humidity, and I keep the peat moss moist enough that should I push my finger into the soil, a minute bit of water will surface, but sponges it right back in. The folders were beginning to do so, when suddenly, the tips are now starting to blacken (with yellow) which I am assuming is Sunburn, as I must admit, I have been giving it some time outdoors, then bring it in to sustain itself on the light in the terrarium (I also have a UV bulb, which I do not use, as it is only about 50, but what I have in now is about 60 watts, and is placed, on top of a cover, which has a huge hole in it, but is amazing for humidity.
    The plants are strong, very green, but all have tiny black tips beginning...Otherwise? It was shooting up like crazy!

Is there anything I haven't taken into consideration? I would appreciate any help you can give, as advice is best handled by those in the know, as opposed to just trying to find an answer...

Thanking you in advance...
    G.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

What are you considering "Proper lighting" for VFTs? 60 tells me nothing. If it's 60 watts then what type of bulb? In any circumstance you may be keeping it too wet for the amount of light it's getting.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery