Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silenteyesspy

Happy Spring/Summer Gardening: Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter Cact

silenteyesspy
11 years ago

I just thought I'd share some pic of my plants, obviously some were taken a few months back. Now as usual, they're all exploding with new growth, and I've been experimenting with pure bark thanks to Josh ;-) I swear that guy knows everything on succulents. Both Mike, and Josh have been real helpful, with utmost kindness, with very interesting insight past last and this year. Sometimes I seem to forget that plants really don't need my full 100% undivided attention because in the wild they don't have human contact, and manage to flourish vigorously all by themselves. I think we as humans forget this, and so try to over pamper everything and that's how most plants die (or just in life in general) then we wonder why nothing is happy with everything we've given it. There is a reason why rain water gets everything much greener than tap water, and why plants in the wild can go longer periods without water than they can inside; that's why I put my plants out under a big tree. Here in NE we get really high humidity, and very warm days/nights with southern breezes; the plants love that.

Most people's issues with the holiday cacti are, they don't know that they grow high in the crotches of trees only in the coastal mountains of south eastern Brazil, meaning that regular potting soil isn't going to work; you're going to have to ditch it completely or (like I always used to do, until using Josh's pure orchid bark method, as it clearly makes sense) mix it with a good amount of perlite. Sure, everyone has methods that work really well, and just as good, but why make things even more complicated? *Second* The whole "closet your plant/cover it, blah blah blah" to get it to bloom is all stupid, sorry but it is. If you just leave it in a south facing window (also the east, and west windows work good) they will cycle the months just fine without any issues. They are photosensitive, so they will sense the sun's shift as the earth shifts. *Third* is the watering, if it's in pure bark or perlite, you can water quite often (as again, it rains often in the rainforest) since that medium is quick drying, if it's more in the potting soil then do the finger test, and if the first inch/inch 1/2 is dry water it. (I find that it's bi weekly, to 3 weeks during the growing season..though I find that the soil stays damper during flowering and about a few weeks after flowering, as if they go into a quick rest period) and I honestly do not think water causes the rot, but the bacteria in soil from being too moist, this I've noticed when I rooted in pure perlite (now in pure bark)vs soil. In the perlite and bark mediums, I was able to water quite often, and the base to the middle of the pad never turned mushy/rotted, Vs sticking it in soil and having it all turn to mush and rot. I've also found that water rooting then putting into perlite works just as good. Water roots seem to come faster than ground roots, and obviously I know that there is a difference in roots.

I fertilize from about March all the way through August, then starts the budding in September when I back off on watering and watch the buds appear on all the new growth that grew over the summer. With fertilizer, less is more (meaning dilute it good) you don't want to burn the roots!

All my plants outside mostly are on their own, they get watered by nature(unless we really have a dry spell, which at times does happen) and subjected to natures other phenoms. I take no pity on them, they're on there own ;) they do however come indoors before the nights first frost, and usually go out a few weeks after the last frost (just so I'm certain that a freak frost or cold spell doesn't hit)

My orchids are treated in the exact manner, as they also grow on trees. Though my orchids have always been in pure bark, I just never thought to do the same for the holiday cacti till Josh.

Remember folks, plants (as well as everything living)do/does so well in the wild, the more that you try to manipulate every situation, and pine over every little thing, and the best way to do it. In nature there isn't any human to pollinate, propagate, water, fertilize etc etc. Don't over think, the simplest ways are really the best; especially if you know exactly what the plant is like in the wild. You really don't have to decorated your potting mixes with a piece of a little everything from each bag that stores have on their shelves. The best way is for the humans to butt out for the most part, let the plants grow, and admire the beauty in front of their eyes.

{{gwi:549341}}

{{gwi:575317}}

{{gwi:575318}}

{{gwi:575319}}

{{gwi:575320}}

{{gwi:575321}}

{{gwi:575322}}

{{gwi:575323}}

Comments (13)

• emerald1951
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi...there is only one word...BEAUTIFUL!!!!...linda

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Linda! This is Greg, your cuttings are doing very well =D thank you again so much!! I never heard anything back from you, I've emailed you a few times to see if you ever received the cuttings I sent you, but you never replied..I hope all is good with you, and that the cuttings are doing well. Let me know!

Greg J.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

I see that EC in cutting which is doing rather well for a cutting. Imagine how easy re-potting will be in a looser airy medium, speaking of and on a personal note you might want to shop for a bigger in round size pot for the mother EC.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Greg,
    I can't thank you enough for all the kind words and the wonderful pictures.
    Truly, to see your plants growing so well brings me much satisfaction and delight.
    Thanks to you, I hope that more folks will experiment with bark and have the same
    success that you and your plants have enjoyed.

Josh

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, mrlike2u =) yea, all the ones that rooted in bark seem to be doing real good. There's by far more oxygen that flows to the roots, vs compacted soil; and the watering can almost be equal to a rainforest as it just flows straight through, and quickly dries. Also, the EC has very small roots compared to the other two holiday cacti, so maybe next spring I'll transplant if it looks to need it.

Good morning Josh! You're always too kind. I think that the almost immediate success of pure bark is what drove me to post about it. If you look through the threads, all you see are a good few handfuls of people that are failing to keep their holiday cacti, and orchids alive; and they either give up on them throwing them in the trash (which is really sad) or have some sliver of hope left to keep them alive (but most the time they're really nervous about it) So it's like, if I can provide some insight that I've learned through my experiences, and those learned by people like you, and show through pictures how easy it is; then maybe we can have more success stories. People need to understand that super market holeless pot, and this over dried out soil that never seems to get wet, doesn't success make. I'll go into stores and can tell that rot has set in, or that they're on their last leg, and I honestly just want to rescue all of them! I also notice that everyone comments with their own successful potting mediums, and they're all so different, and so many of them that people get confused and still don't end up with the answer that they originally asked (I think in a way it kind of scares them off.) So if by chance someone with a question clicks here and sees close up pictures of what mine are in, and how they're able to grow so successful; hopefully that person can take something away and have just the same (or even better) success story.

Greg J.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Hi Linda,Those are all beautiful!!! You're a person after my own heart.I also don't make all that fuss over soil.All my epidendrums are in bark and do very well,my tillandsias,have very little soil,i usually put them in spagnum moss,just to give them something to grab onto,and all mine are doing wonderfully well.I have posted pictures of them on this site. I have one tilly that is in one of those coconut baskets,with just a little moss and it has grown and bloomed great,it just has a little ways to grow to form a complete sphere.

If you want to see them,i think you can still access them by putting my board name in the search box at the top and the word tillandsia/tilly and they should come up.
    TFS your pictures and knowledge.
    Kathi

PS,i tell people i treat my plants like Mother nature does !!

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

People get in the way as the plant just wants to grow lol
    Odd but true
    I think what happens to some people is they try to hard to grow the plant of their ideas (dreams) that they end up killing it with kindness and the " Plant of our dreams " becomes something more than a nemesis to some as the plant becomes an objective or a mission to be accomplished.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

I agree with everything above and enjoy seeing the most gorgeous photos ever!

However, not all people can put their plants outside and let Mother Nature take over most of their care for three or four months. And some live in old apartments where radiators are the heat source and very, very drying...even with pans of water all over the place. Some live without air conditioning where the temps fluctuate from 60 to 100.

People in those conditions have trouble keeping Holiday Cacti thriving no matter the planting medium.

I am so glad I'm no longer one of them! Else I wouldn't have the 10+ Easter Cactus I enjoy whether in bloom or not. :-)

Linda

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mrlike2u, that is very true..people just over try and don't let the plants just be. But like Linda said, and I agree with all she said, that sometimes conditions aren't available, and are very hard to replicate without the things we take for granted. I'd also love to see pics of your 10+ Easter Cacti, and all the other plants you have =D I've just always been obsessed with cacti in general, whether blooming or not. I find it so exquisite the way they grow, and how they grow. Most people find them "ugly" without blooms, but I find the beauty in the shapes that they grow; in such an artistic manner.

Greg J.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Hi, Greg:

A soul after my own heart! I, too, love the natural growth and shape of plants. Even with my African violets and Streptocarpus, praised for their lovely flowers, I find the foliage the best part.

I will try to take photos of the Easter Cactus (two are starting their pendulous growth) and other plants that are missing from the album below. This includes my epis, TC and Euphorbia.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants Past and Present

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Linda =) so that link is just some of your plants, I am in love with your Episcia's foliage! the different varieties have their own colors and they're just so gorgeous. I also must say, your Streptocarpus is magnificent, I have one of my own (as you can see just a little bit of the leaf in the bottom right hand cornerfrom the photos above) my bloom is a light purplish with darker speckles, the foliage alone makes me feel like I'm at a tropical beach or something, I really do love the color of your bloom too. I noticed you have a grow light set up for your violets, is that where they winter, or do you regularly keep them there? I also see that you won ribbons, are you in competitions? if so, that's really cool! when did you start competing, how'd you get into it? your plants truly look really happy with you, and I'm so glad that you know how to care for them to bring them to that state of beauty =)

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Greg:

Send me an email and I'll be happy to send you a list and share Strep, AV and Chirita cuttings. Also some of my named EC. I'm getting ready to repot the Gessies so I'll be removing leaves, anyhow.

All of my Gesneriads and holiday cactus are indoors year round. Epis are outside and so is what I think is a Euphorbia Trigona.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Stands

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Greg. I second what Josh said.!!! I am also very proud of you and for taking the risk to come here and share.
    You're a true good human being and getting to know you for awhile has been a reward. You care for me very much and for your plants too.

Thanks for taking the time to share. By the way , you know my favorite TC:)

Go BARK!

Fantastic Greg.

I hope every ones plants thrive this summer.

Mike