Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiritwild

Free Milkweed seed and invite

spiritwild
10 years ago

Hello, hopefully I won't be violating any forum rules. I read the policy and it seemed to be directed to business related. I'm just an individual so I'm not sure how the rule apply's. If I have violated the rules then I apologize ahead of time.

With that said, I'mtrying to help support and sustain wildlife habitat for the Monarch Butterfly and will be giving away free milkweed seed.

I've been doing this for years now and only recently have I begun to step outside the shadows. Due to the decline of habitat at a steady rate, I feel compelled to help spread awareness the best I can.

Iv'e also started a Facebook page called Monarch Conservation and welcome anyone to like and share their knowledge. I'll also be updating my site to make it more accessible to information. It's something I've always been passionate about and just wanted to step things up a notch.
Thanks !

Free Seed:
http://southernindianatrails.freehostia.com/graphics/angelmounds/butterfly/freemilkweed.htm

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/monarchconservation

Comments (3)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Spiritwild,
    Welcome to a wonderful forum. There are many of us who are also eager to encourage restoration of habitat for the Monarchs as well as all beneficial pollinators. Are you aware of Monarch Watch at Univ. of Kansas and Journey North? Both are well established conservation-minded organizations that might help you direct your energies in an efficient direction. Monarch Watch takes donations of native milkweed seeds and distributes seedlings to areas in need of milkweed starts.

I'm also trying to encourage everyone to plant other native plants that provide nectar and host plants throughout the seasons. As the agricultural plantings spread, there is only pollen available for limited times during the summer. We need to increase the diversity of our plantings to make nutrition available as much of the time as possible.

Stay in touch, and we'd love to hear more about you and your activities. Especially during these slow gardening months.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Martha

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

I am sincerely happy to see like minded individuals with the same goal in mind.
    I just started a FB page too so my friends and community can get involved.

So far I have 6 friends with a solid commitment to help.They are lending me their properties! It will be worth the drive. I will get them started and we will continue to learn together.
    I also acquired a few areas around my neighborhood to plant in. I have tons of milkweed to use. Working on more nectar plants and host plants for other butterflies too.
    this is my FIRST year gardening. I have the time to be committed to this.. I love it!

Good Luck ! I hope you are successful and encourage others!

• spiritwild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I have a few places as well that i try to create habitat. Behind my work is a field that has been left to grow. Its been interesting to see certain butterflies and bees buzzing around, considering it's right in the middle of a concrete industrial jungle. the other is a place called Angel Mounds. There was a tornado that dropped down in the woods and leveled everything. It's starting to recover but still has a somewhat "prarie" type look. The monarch have migrated down the ohio, which flows a few hundred feet away so it's been a good place so far. drought has always been an issue but otherwise It's ok.

http://southernindianatrails.freehostia.com/graphics/angelmounds/tornado/angel.html

Here is a link that might be useful: The Butterflies of Angel Mounds

Sponsored