Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerdycellist

Succulent ID and caring for it

nerdycellist
10 years ago

Hi-

This is my first time posting here, and to be honest, my first time taking care of a plant more complicated than lima beans. I bought this little thing in a consignment shop (of all places), and I got home before I realized that I don't know the first thing about what it is or how to care for it.

When I got it, the leaves were spongy and limp. I've had it about a week and I've been putting a small splash of water in the pot (roughly 3" diameter at the top, and about 1 to 2 tsp each morning). However, in the past few days it's developed some brown spots. The leaves do feel stiffer and slightly waxy, which I'm guessing is good, but the brown spots concern me a bit.

So, to my questions:

1. What do I have? I know it's a succulent and that's about it.

2. How often should I water it, how much sunlight, and does it need a bigger pot?

I'm a bit excited, since all that I've proven I can take care of easily are fish and this would be a welcome change.

Thank you in advance for your help!

-NC

Comments (6)

• JoeCaudex
    10 years ago

I'm not certain of the species, maybe a Crassula of some kind.

In terms of watering, it only needs water once a week. The brown spots could be signs of over watering. Did you pot it yourself? What kind of soil mixture do you use?

If it is a Crassula then it loves part sun. Mine get full sun in the morning and then bright light in the afternoon. I am in the UK though so it may be a bit different for you.

• averil
    10 years ago

I've just googled images and I think it could be a crassula tetragona, which I know nothing about. I have different crassula which get morning summer sun and late afternoon shade outside but like Joe I am in UK so may be different. I've had loads of help on here so I'm sure someone will let you know better than me
    Regards
    Averil UK

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

What up, Nerd?

Sorry:) Had to. So, yes that's C. tetragona. In SouCal they grow very well in the ground. It can take varying degrees of light. I have mine in partial shade but in my neighborhood there are hedges of it growing in full sun. To be fair, full sun 1/2 mile from the coast doesn't mean the same as full sun for our friends in Texas and so on.

I would give it more light and a good watering, looks thirsty. In Fall, repot it with more soil. Either fill that pot all the way up or get a bigger pot. Mine (the big one) is in a fairly small pot but rooted firmly in the ground.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

to the forum & the Succulent World, Nerd! Join the crowd!

As others have said, yes, Crassula tetragona is what you have. It's a tough one & can probably take whatever you throw at it. Around here, could be considered a weed. I am a mile from the beach (so mild temps) & the couple I have are in full sun. Could plant them in the ground (PIG) but haven't yet. I would not advise keeping this as a houseplant, if that's what you're doing.

Advice above is good.

Warning: Enablers found here. You will have a "collection" before you know it. Yes, somewhat easier than Fish! The one we had just died. :(

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

took a photo

• nerdycellist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nerd and proud!

C. tetragona definitely looks like it, thank you! I gave it a bit more water today, hoping that hanzrobo is right. I've also moved it much closer to the window, where we get a lot of sunlight all day long.

I'm not really intending to keep it inside for its whole life, but I've just moved to a new apartment and the backyard needs a bit of cleaning up before I do anything with it. That's a chore for this weekend; then I'm going to get some planter boxes. Maybe I can convince my roommate to put his Aloe vera plant into the boxes rather than leaving it in that cheap looking plastic pot...

So, full sunlight for part of the day, and healthy doses of water? I think that's fairly manageable.

Thank you all for your help!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH