Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mes111

what time of year to re-pot

mes111
10 years ago

Hi...

Am in Zone 7B in Nassau County NY.

As I understand, citrus fruit take a long time to ripen and there is a long flowering period often with fruit and blooms on the tree at the same time.

So my Q:
Is there a dormant season? Here in the Northeast, we must be really screwing up the tree's natural life cycle. So how do I figure out when it is best to re-pot?

Also, I keep reading that when we re-pot it should be only to a slightly larger pot. What is the downside of going from a one-gallon pot directly to a ten gallon pot?

Mike

Comments (7)

• citrusweekendwarrior
    10 years ago

mes111,
    Heres my 2 cents.
    I've always transplanted my citrus in late spring to mid summer.
    Some time before the tree buds and after the fruit has set. Flowers will be more likely to abort, but may still decide to hang on when the tree is transplanted. Just put them in the shade till the leaves spring back up.
    Jumping to a much larger pot makes it harder to have the soil evenly moist. Doesn't make it impossible to take of.
    Word of advice from experience. Don't get huge pots... They are a pain to move. I'm actually going to transplant my largest tree into a smaller pot this summer, for that very reason.
    Plus citrus roots grow wide not deep.

While I have your attention. Please tell us your story. How many citrus to you have, of what kind? How did you get started?

• mes111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CWW
    This spring I picked up A Meyer a Key lime and a Calamondin and tangerine (??). All were small in 1 - gallon pots. I set them outside and totally ignored them while getting caught up with setting up a 65 tree (apple, pear, plum, peach, apricot and cherry) orchard in upstate NY.

I had the proverbial " Oh shoot" moment right before Thanksgiving and hurriedly brought them inside.

Despite my abuse, as soon as I brought them inside they started to bloom like crazy and I had no clue what to do.

Mike

This post was edited by mes111 on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 21:03

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I agree with Citrus..Well said!

Welcome to the world of citrus Mike

• mes111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MM, CWW

I am setting my sights on KUMQUATs.

Any recommendations for my zone.Guess Iwill l have to wait till spring.

Any suggestions as to reliable sources.

Thanx
    Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I grew my trees outside in one gallon food tins and i potted up to a container 3 inches wider around the periphery and 8 inches deeper. That equals a 5 gallon bucket. I potted up mid august and placed the trees in full shade for a week, then in broken sun for the rest of our warmth before taking them inside for the cold of 2013-2014. The tree are doing very well and have tripled their linear twig and trunk growth as of now. My trees are in the grow box picture on the other thread you looked at. I will link you to that below. Other wise spring potting up is better

As for kumquats, there are citrus places on the east coast. such as

http://www.plantfolks.com/

http://mckenzie-farms.com/photo.htm

http://ediblelandscaping.com/products/tropicals/Citrus/
    --- you have to call in for that tree. They have to few to list available

Do not grow kumquats from seed. Their roots grow very slowly and there are very long periods between growth spurts.

Since you are to far north to plant outside, you might want your kumquat to be grafted on C. Macrophilia. Edible Landscaping uses that for their trees sent up north to be grown in pots.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0112401518325.html?4

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The best time of year to re-pot Citrus is in the Spring between flushes of growth.

The reason not to jump to a huge volume of potting mix in a big pot is that the Citrus simply isn't large enough to draw out the excess moisture from that mix - and, thus, the roots will potentially rot while sitting in the wet mix.

Josh

• mes111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh

Thanx... would not have thouhht of that in 100 years

Mike