Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefpix

help ID gift. orchid or xmas cactus?schlumbergera or epiphyllum?

stefpix
14 years ago

Hi I bought a small "orchid cactus" at the union sq market. the grumpy seller had not much info - there where others that were a lot bigger with more squarish / fat sections but was too large to carry n my bike.

a friend gave me a large cutting of another "christmas cactus" that was in hydroponic medium.

are these schlumbergera or epiphyllum?

what is the difference?

thanks

stefano

{{gwi:584655}}

{{gwi:584656}}

Comments (26)

• Mentha
    14 years ago

the on on the left is a Schlumbergera, the on on the right is a Rhipsalis. you won't know which species until it blooms, then you still may never know.

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks!
    I looked up but the one on the right looks a bit more like an Epiphyllum than a Rhipsalis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Epiphyllum_Wendy-2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhipsalis

• tjicken
    14 years ago

Unusually small stems for an Epiphyllum, but the shape resembles Epiphyllum a bit more than the (flat-stemmed) Rhipsalis. Will be a lot easier when (if) it flowers.

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks -
    are the Rhipsalis flowers as nice as an Epiphyllum?

I am growing some seeds of dragonfruit. how long does it take to get a flowering plant from a seedling?

• prayerrock
    14 years ago

The one one the left is a thanksgiving cactus not a christmas cactus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday cactus

• Mentha
    14 years ago

There is no way the one on the right is an epi, it is a Rhipsalis, maybe R. micrantha, but again you need blooms to be sure. There are many different Rhipsalis which look like that. Rhipsalis is a large group of cactus, many do not look at all releted, but because of flower structure are lumped together.

A Rhipsalis flower will be about the size of a pencil eraser, most of the time a white or a creamy color.

It will take anywhere form 3-7 yars before you get blooms from your hylocereus.

• tjicken
    14 years ago

"There is no way the one on the right is an epi, it is a Rhipsalis"

And may I ask why you are so sure? It obviously branches mesotonically (from the sides), which is typical for Epiphyllum, Pseudorhipsalis and Lepismium, but rare among the Rhipsalis. R. micrantha has slightly flattened stems, but not that broad and often more triangular than flat. Right now I cannot recall any Rhipsalis that resembles this plant (but they are variable).
    While most Epiphyllums have longer, broader stems than this plant, some are relatively small (I have even had one!) especially if they are started from a small cutting and/or if it has been grown in low light (the light requirements vary among Epiphyllum hybrids).

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

to me looks a lot like this
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l160gpFrXik/R8fRMW2bs0I/AAAAAAAAAD8/ll4RUPoOA18/s1600-h/epiphyllum+oxypetalum,+bakawali++DSCN1382.JPG

E. Oxypetalum...
    anyway can it bloom or i need to wait a few years?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Mentha
    14 years ago

I have had about 150 different Rhipsalis/Lepismium/Hatioria. Most are ssp. but like you said the Rhipsalis family is very variable. If you want to be technical about it the plant could be a Lep, but I don't see where most Lep's and Rhipsalis should be separated. Call me a lumper that way. I will still say there is no way that is an epi.

A couple of pictures of one of my micranthas for comparison. While not an exact match, it's a lot closer than any epi you will find.
    {{gwi:584658}} {{gwi:584659}}

• tjicken
    14 years ago

Ok, I see what you mean, even I'm not 100% convinced yet - it looks too much like a Disocactus I once had. I did not know that whole micrantha plants could look like that, I have only seen that shape on occasional segments.

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah - close, very close... to make it flower does it need the dark treatment? or just cool temperatures?
    thanks
    stefano

• Mentha
    14 years ago

It's not an oxy either... Oxy's are huge, about 50 times as large as that, with rippled egdes, not scalloped edges, but rippled like cheap lace.

Some of Disocactus used to be in Rhipsalis also.

Stefano,
    Have you tried the google Rhipsalis group? Maybe they can give you an idea of what it is. If you had a picture of the parent plant that would really help a lot.

http://groups.google.com/group/Rhipsalis

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought it at the farmers market for 3 dollars from grumpy lady that all she knew was "christmas cactus"

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Probably grumpy because someone asked her a question for which she had no answer ;)

Josh

• User
    14 years ago

Stepfix,

They commonly ARE referred to as Christmas cacti, only some of us who grow them or their close relations know to make the distinctions. That Holiday Cactus link is excellent & shows the differences well (in both shape of segment or 'leaf' & also in look of the blooms).

• Mentha
    14 years ago

lol! I agree with Josh on that one. Anyone else have a guess, I know there are a few epiphytic cacti growers.

• gardenbear1
    14 years ago

the one on the left is a Schlumbergera, and the other is a Disocactus, but I'm not sure witch hybrid it is, I have a few Diso growing in the shade house, but with out a pic. of the flower you may never know the name, but enjoy it even with out a name I sure do.
    Oxy can take up to 3 years to bloom from cuttings and a lot longer from seeds. I have one I started from seed and its all most 5 years old and still no blooms, but one never knows with Oxy they can bloom earlier or some times take there sweet time

Bear

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies - looks like a Disocactus after i looked at samples.

I would like to get a large flower one. teh guys at the farmers market did not bring today the large Dragon Fruit plants for 5 dollars.

I stumbled upon a shop in chinatown where i saw some hanging outside - but the lady gave me a 30 + price. inside she had a pot that showed me. It was 15 $ but she would sell it to 10. anyway she said it had pink flowers. her english was minimal.

are these Epiphyllums?
    hard to find stuff in NYC...

stefano
    pix below / i am mostly interested in the one she is holding in her hand.tehre are some cuttings available on ebay till tomorrow - but it would cost me 10 / 12 $ for just a cutting [incl S&H]

{{gwi:584660}}

{{gwi:584661}}

{{gwi:584662}}

• tjicken
    14 years ago

The first is an Epiphyllum oxypetalum, the other are probably Epiphyllum hybrids (there are thousands of them - nearly impossible to tell which one even when they flower).
    The price for the oxypetalum sounds high to me, it grows amazingly fast.

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks - what would be a fair price?
    $10 is too much?
    they are hard to find in nyc now....
    you know it is chinatown - i could sort of try to make a deal - could go back and tell her i can pay this amount...

• Mentha
    14 years ago

Wait a minute, $10 for a cutting or the whole plant? For the plant it is a fair price. I'd pay no more that $15 for the pot she is holding, if that is what she is asking. The larger ones, I'd snatch up for no more than $25 for the pot, even if they are probably NOID's. But I live in a state where I can drive a few hours either way and be in Epi heaven. If she is asking those prices for cuttings pay no more than $5 tops for the oxy and $7 for the hybrids.

Have you asked on the exchange forum, I'm sure somebody would be more than happy to send you a cutting. I would, but I don't trade out of state for anything but rooted plants or something I really, really want.

I would ask Pirate Girl where a good place to find epies is. If I remember right she has a few of them.

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

she asked 15 initially for the pot but said she could do 10. maybe i will try to go back and offer 8?

well I have mango seedlings/ plants that look nice in 4 inch pots i would trade...

also have Tradescantia [purple solid leaves/ pink flowers.

I am germinating Hylocereus from a couple of dragonfruits i bought in chinatown and ate - but i am a bit impatient...
    I could pay shipping if someone would like to send Hylocereus and Epi cuttings. Have lots of dragonfruit seeds I could send as well

• Mentha
    14 years ago

i would be willing to pay the $10 for a healthy oxy like that. It would need a trim and some better light, but there is nothing wrong with it otherwise. With as large as it is, it should bloom next year.

• stefpix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So I went back and I bought it for $10. she would not go down. She had mentioned pink flowers. Anyway I put it in a 5 inch clay azalea/orchid clay pot with 4 drainage holes also on the sides.
    how would you prune? I prefer to keep it window sill/ table top rather than hanging basket style

• Mentha
    14 years ago

For now wait until Fall and if any of those spindly stems haven't widened yet chop them off. Being in New York, Put it in a south facing window or better yet, outside in the shade until just before first frost, then give it the best possible light. Give your oxy something to climb or cage it. Do not repot until it has bloomed in spring. It will bloom on new growth, this is why you need to wait until you see if that new growth is going to be spindly or not.

Feed it a week balanced 2-2-2, 4-4-4 fertilizer until fall then two months of a bloom fert, 0-6-4 then let it rest until it starts growing again in spring. The hybrids may bloom pink, but the oxy will bloom white and at night time.

• gardenbear1
    14 years ago

if you prune it back a bit it will fill out so you will have a fuller pot, the part you cut off let dry for a week and plant them, now you will have 2 pot and every time you trim it you will have more there easy to care for and grow, here a pic of cuttings from last year, this year there even taller, I grow epie as well. but I find that Oxy are the fastest growing, you will end up giving cutting to friends, the do get large and like to take up lots of room, but with a flower like this who can say no.

Bear

{{gwi:489673}}

{{gwi:473019}}