Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floralflood94

Sedum Hybrid "Burrito/Donkey Tail" leaves fell off

FloralFlood94
10 years ago

I recently purchased this Sedum Hybrid from the store and just days later, during a huge storm, the wind blew little "Jelly bean" leaves off of my sedums!!!

I researched the plant and found out that this Donkey Tail sedum is very fragile and that the little bean leaves fall off quite easily.

There are many missing from the center stalk and quite a few missing from the others. I saved some of these leaves and placed them on the pot with the mother plants.

Will the mother plants regenerate new leaves to fill in the gaps?

Will the fallen leaves/beans grow into their own plants?

How do I save these sedums???

Comments (13)

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

I am not an expert, but I know those falling leaves can grow new sprouts and become new plants. I did that with other succulent/sedum similar to yours.

Not only the leaves, the stem also can be cut and stick in on the soil, they will roots.

Good luck.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Yes they will grow into new plants and fill in the pot.
    Kathi

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes, the fallen leaves can grow-you leave them on the (slightly moist) soil. (Some will just shrivel up.) The mother plant will never fill in those areas. If the stem gets too naked, best to cut off & reroot that piece. Your plant is not a hybrid. It's name is Sedum burrito (a species). Some have given this the common name Baby Donkey Tail, but those get very confusing. Best to stick with the Latin, IMHO! =)

Good luck!!

• FloralFlood94
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The label on the plastic cup it is in said: Donkey Tail "Burrito" sedum hybrid. Thanks for letting me know that it is really called something else!

Lol, it was from Lowes in the garden center. It seems like they didn't take good care of it because a lot of the leaves were wrinkled and those are the ones that fell off the easiest in the storm.

There are 3 or 4 stalks in the container, only 3 inches tall at the most. Two of the stalks are very bare! The base on both is exposed by a good inch at least since the leaves fell off! The tips still have a few leaf clusters.

How do I make it look less unsightly???

Do I cut off the tips that still have clusters and plant them, hoping they'll take root?

And the bases that still have little leaf clusters, if I trim the top/bare stalk from it...will it grow a new stalk with leaves on it?

• FloralFlood94
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope it'll look okay soon! Poor little thing :(

This post was edited by FloralFlood94 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 18:57

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Sadly, that is something we deal with regularly, mis-tagged or untagged plants. One reason forums like THESE sprung up!

There are several avenues you can take with your plant.
    Let it grow more, cut off stems to re-root. (know that handling them may make more leaves fall off)
    Grow new stalks from leaves laid on soil.
    Both of the above.
    Place it where it will not get bumped into by people or animals (a tricky thing-around here, near impossible).

Good luck! Mine is now near the ground, growing on the cement where the dogs can't get to it.

Here are mine from a while back: (click for larger view)

{{gwi:586198}} {{gwi:586200}} {{gwi:586202}}

• FloralFlood94
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They look very beautiful once they've grown out! Yours are lovely! Mine are just babies, so I'm really looking forward to their growth!

How much time does it take for them to get so long?

How much do you suppose they could grow in a year?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to get back, FloralFlood! I get sidetracked easily in my Crazy Busy life!

Thank you! I'm sure yours will look great over time. =) I really couldn't say how long it takes to get long. I've had mine for several yrs (maybe 8 or so yrs?). It would depend on their conditions how much they would grow in a year.

• FloralFlood94
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No problem! Here is a much better picture of my burrito plants. they seem to be doing better with more water! I hope they grow out to be long and pretty :D

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Looking good, FF! =)

• vrushali_dighe
    8 years ago

Hi, my donkey tail leaves are perishing quickly. It's in the full sun as suggested by the nursery fellow from where I got. But the leaves are shrivelling and falling off and there's no growth for past few months. I'm watering it daily as its really hot summer here (110 F - 40 Celsius) in central India. It's rally sos call so any suggestions welcome.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

It could be the potting 'soil' - it seems to be very fine and impairs drainage. Container needs to drain of excess water - is there a drainage hole?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    8 years ago

Also the pot is way too big for what remains of the plant and the planted leaves. Can you get the ingredients to make a much grittier fast draining mix where you are? You may be best cutting the plant a few centimetres below the last leaves, setting it aside to let the end callous over/dry back for a while and then try into re-root it in a better soil mixture.