Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebel215

Soil for Adenium

rebel215
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm sorry if this question has been answered before. What type of soil do you use to repot a Desert Rose? I have one I bought this Spring and it's small - in a 4" pot. The man I got it from said he would put it in a 6" pot in a few months. I have a clay pot - will that work? I mix Cactus & Succulent soil (Miracle Grow from Lowe's) w/perlite for my Christmas Cactus, will that work for the Desert Rose?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• jakalfoshakal
    15 years ago

hi,
    im new to the whole adenium craze too but while looking for the same info i came across a thread where they were asking what a member grew the monster adenium she has in and she said she used the mix below. i think this is what i will plant my seedlings in.
    this is a thread that is about a year old but i hear nothing but good things about it around here.
    others may have other options there is a lot of good advice here.

Here is a link that might be useful: soil mix link

• nynewbie
    15 years ago

hi
    i used cacti mix with a little bit of osmocote thrown in there... i didnt water the adenium until the leaves stopped dropping from the transplant shock, and new leaves started to emerge... it worked for me - i have new huge leaves coming out everywhere.

• rebel215
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both for the quick replies. Not sure I can find all the ingredients for the mix, but I'll look around.

Any ideas on the clay pot? good? bad?

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

I have my DRose in the mix recommended above, Al(tapla) potting mix and I love it. I have practically every container plants I have in that mix. It is very hard to find the products at first, but once you find them it is well worth the effort. I water my DR really well, then let it dry out, but with this mix it is very fast draining and I don't need to worry about root rot...

I have mine potted in plastic pot, but either way if fine. The clay will dry out faster, so keep that in mind and decide which will work out better for you and your area.

Here's a couple of pics of mine...Close up of trunk- you can see the potting mix I use
    {{gwi:17950}}
    {{gwi:598931}}

• joscience
    15 years ago

What a lovely specimen Puglvr! Oh yeah, the plant is nice too... ;-)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks Joscience!! Isn't he a cutie, he's really a great dog.