Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tillygrower

Pot Size and Material for Meyer Lemon

tillygrower
10 years ago

I've read a lot on these forums about what's best for growing Meyer lemons, but still have some questions about its pot. Based on what johnmerr has said, I believe a plastic pot may be preferable. But what about the size of the pot for a three year old tree? I've read that the plant prefers to be a bit pot-bound, although Four Winds seems to suggest using a larger pot. Anyone have a recommendation here? I'm growing in gritty mix, if that matters.

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

If growing in a porous, fast draining medium you don't need to worry about the problems often associated with 'over potting '. Give the root system plenty of room to grow. A porous mix ('gritty ' or other) is not likely to stagnate in the way a peaty medium can.

• krismast
    10 years ago

No plant really likes being pot bound. Sure, a pot bound plant will usually bloom more but that doesn't necessarily mean it's happy. Give the plant plenty of room to grow, BUT like Rhizo says if you're not using a fast draining mix be careful you don't go to large or else you could drown the plant. Many members here use gritty mix, the 511 mix or some variation of them. These mixes were formulated by Al (Tapla), a member here. I personally have been using the gritty mix. My plants have responded very well to this mix. If you search for them in the search bar you will get the recipes and lots of advise. If you have any questions please ask more and we will be glad to help!

Kristopher

• krismast
    10 years ago

Oops! Didnt see you mention you were growing in gritty mix! Yes if you are growing in gritty mix your pot size is far less important than if you were growing in say miracle grow (ive killed a lot of plants in that stuff.)

Kristopher

• susanne42
    10 years ago

i'm very new to growing citrus (killed some in the past)
    and just got one three years old meyer lemon and two santa threresa feminello lemons from four winds.
    i potted them in 14" plastik pots with planting soil made by bordine. i also added the wood mulch that came with the trees.
    watered the pots thoroughly and now waiting.
    i hope i did the right thing? did not know there is such thing as critty mix. soil from bordain states it is specially formulated to prevent water logging but still has peatmoos in it.

• krismast
    10 years ago

Susanne,

Can you post exactly what is in the bordine mix? Peat moss isn't necessarily a certain death for plants, it just shouldn't be the majority component. It just means you should repot more frequently to prevent the inevitable breakdown of the peat moss.

Kristopher

• tillygrower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everybody.

How about the issue of plastic vs. clay for growing Meyers in NC (zone 7b)-- outside in the summer; inside for the winter. I was wondering if evaporative cooling might be an issue in a room that is about 65 degrees in the winter.

• susanne42
    10 years ago

unfortunately it does not say on the bag what is in there only that this is a special blend for container plants.
    the sales person mentioned peat moos and why i know that this is in there.
    how long could i leave the plants in this mix? i thought i should repot maybe in two to three years. wrong??

• susanne42
    10 years ago

i think i will call them tomorrow and ask. doesn't hurt to now what the components are :)

• krismast
    10 years ago

Tillygrower,

I've heard that plastic is the best for meyer lemons. The clay seems to keep the roots too cold in the winter indoors. Also, outside in the summer, griity mix in clay dries out VERY fast.

Kristopher