Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sibhskylvr

another huge box of brugs! lol!

sibhskylvr
16 years ago

Just when you thought it couldn't get ANY better! lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brug Cuttings!

Comments (78)

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dweeb!

You're just too sweet! :) Cuttings for me are probably going to have to wait until next year - unless we have some MAJOR warmer weather. It's starting to get colder here! We've already had two freezes - back to back! When did you say Spring will be here? And on a personal note - thank you Dweeb for helping the addiction & obsession of the others. I know they'll appreciate the time & effort you're putting into this. :)

Mike

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dweeb!

No way! lol! They would probably arrive here a mushy mess as cold as it's been getting! But I appreciate the very intense offer! :) I'm sure someone out there in brug land would jump on that sweet offer!

Mike

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Lol Mike. . . .

We'll see if I'm successful. The math works at my top bid - if it gets higher, the math won't work. (grin) Then I'm out.

I truly don't have any more room in the BOB, and I'm out of "vessels" for cuttings unless I start a new bucket! And at that point, I might have a domestic war. (grin)

Thought I'd try to help people who are just starting and want some. . .as I said, if it was any later, I wouldn't have offered - it's getting late in the season for me - they'll come in and go right out.

And then I'm done. Couldn't risk any further.

Unless Karyn wants to take on the task. . .(very huge grin)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Sorry those are just way too small for me. I'm also not nearly as nice as Dweeb. If I don't want them I'm not going to buy them just to support everyone elses brug addiction. I'm doing my part in that by sending out cuttings from my yard. 3" is just not long enough and when the seller says that most are semi hardwood does that mean that 1/3 are green? The smallest greenest ones are most likely the doubles. Personally it sounds too iffy to me but if you all do bid and win I hope the cuttings are nice and do well.
    Karyn

• threas
    16 years ago

That's a good boy, Mike!;)
    Theresa

• chena
    16 years ago

Now that is a great box.. I considered bidding...till I saw dweeb there.. Good Luck!!!
    Chena

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

Karen, Thanks, in all too many ways. I think all will agree that your input to this thread and the forum is greatly appreciated.
    You have sound advice, and thanks for checking on the cuttings.
    Dweeb.. you are a Sweetheart and a smart one. No one better to handle this. Great, that you perhaps check the resultant winnings and contact the seller if it is a bad deal. However I wouldn't want you to get socked with the cost of a bad deal on our behalf.
    I will hope these are good cutting and stay along for the ride.
    I have my misgivings , and although I consider myself a good gardener and horticulturist, I am hesitant, as I have already lost some good cutting because if size, I think. (just could not keep up with the mushies :) )

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oh yea - not wanting to get socked with that.

If they're good - I'll only be out my time. that's all.

We'll see.

BTW Karyn - picked up the Plumies yesterday - all three are 2 1/2 feet tall! He said they're very hardy!

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Ok, got to chime back in here. Ya'll keep me in mind when someone gets thoses boxes of Brugs.

Please Dweeb, don't put Mike in charge. He will take all the good ones like DD and a couple of others. I just know he would.(grin)

Oxmyx's are you holding out on me and not sharing some of your better brugs with me? (sticking out bottom lip)

Karyn you are wonderful and I do love to read every single word you have to say. I've learned a great deal from you and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge regarding Brugs and buying them off the internet. If you want to know something by all means ask the seller on the auction site. I've asked several of them questions and then noticed they went back and revised there listing. Go Figure. I think that's funny considering I'm a newbie to these beautiful plants.

Dweeb- do you have some cuttings you would care to share with me for postage? Good Luck on the Auctions.

Happy Gardening Ya'll, Marian

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Thanks Chena.

I hope they're worth the effort for everyone. I didn't have anything worth sending this year.

And as I said - others with more skills than myself can take a swipe at these. I'll find out if I can get the postage down even farther for everyone and keep it reasonable.

It's the least I can do considering all the help people have given me.

Gonna go see those "Inca Suns" today - see if my dad has killed them yet or not. (grin) I'll see if I can whack a couple chunks off - although I doubt it - they're so small and young.

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Did I hear the words "Inca Suns?" :)

Mike

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Yep Mike - I remembered what you had said.

I'll see if he's killed them yet.

My luck, Mom has poured more milk on them. . .(sigh)

I'll let you know. . .

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lol! Calcium - Brugs? hummmm!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

lovelyiris:

I have some from other people if you would care for some. I know you are looking for doubles though, and I don't have any doubles to share. (I'm barely keeping the one cutting alive.)

And I'm not doin' too well with funkies. So I'm laying off those. If you would like me to email you with the dupes I've got - I will.

Otherwise - if either box comes through - that's a BIG IF -you bet - there were several people who were in.

If it comes in - the posters can each decide what goes where. I'll stay out of the deicision making. You all know what you have and everyone can hammer it out.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Mike - yea. She saw me do that for some tomato plants - took a week old gallon and poured into the soil in the garden.

Well, because these are related to tomato plants - she did it to the Brugs. I just stared at her. . .(blink!)(blink!) You did what? She said "look how well they're doing!"

Just shook my head and laughed. (very big grin) Ok, never mind the STINK when I bring them in. . .

I took all of them down to the waters edge and we, the plants and I, went for a swim - all the way under water - thoroughly running the water through the pots. (grin)

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

Sorry Dweeb, I got the message! ; )

• chena
    16 years ago

Dweeb do you ever get any of my E~'s??
    Chena

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Hey Dweeb, you bet I want some of your cuttings you have to offer me for postage. I'm trying to build up and have more than just one cutting of something. I looked for an email address to mail you but couldn't find it.

I have no brug cuttings to offer anyone if someone wants to trade for something. I seriously doubt I would trade them anyway. I'm always looking to add just one more of something I get. If one is good two is better and a whole bunch is down-right AWESOME. LOL Shot me an email and let me know where to send postage and how much.

Thanks for helping change gardens across America one plant (or More) at a time, (grin)

Happy Gardening Ya'll, Marian

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Dweeb why did she pour milk on the brugs? That's how Kyle killed one of my beautiful doubles that I was keeping in the house last winter. I kept smelling something weird in the living room but couldn't find anything. Soon after the strange smell I noticed that my brug was looking pretty bad and when I went for a closer look I saw that the smell was from Kyle pouring a glass of chocolate milk into my brug pot. The plant was completely rotted from the bottom halfway up the stem. Even the cutting I attempted to salvage didn 't live. I don't know if it was the milk or the chocolate that killed it but the smell was pretty nasty. lol
    Karyn

• vaskirt
    16 years ago

My 2 cents worth on the auction for the big box of brugs.The seller clearly states in the auction that they are 6-10 inches long and around 1/2 inch in diameter. All of that sounds good. Here is my problem with it..she says a total of 65 cuttings and what ever else she can fit in the box. When you go up and look at the varieties she is counting..like 20 charles G., and 15 of this and 15 of that..if you add those up, that comes out to 65. Where is she counting in the good ones like H. Garten, Maya, and the ones she mentions at the bottom ? She also says make a request ?? What does that mean ? My thoughts on the subject...LOL Edna

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Edna

Karyn made a good point in a previous post - ask questions of the seller BEFORE you bid! :) You may not be disappointed in the long run!

Mike

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Chena: Got your email - and responded. I'm so sorry I didn't get any of the other e-mails! You've got email from me now.

LovelyIris: Ok - I'll try to email you - and I'll get a grouping together for you.

Karyn: Yea - she poured milk on them (her 2 Incas and a Breezey) because she thought it would be ok like what I did for the tomato plants in the ground. Needless to say - I rinsed every single one out. They're ok - but I was shocked. She thinks it helped. I'm just glad she told me. (grin)

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Well - it looks like on the one box of 38 cuttings I was out bid so it doesn't matter. It's going at 60.11. (grin)

I'm gonna leave it alone. . .someone else can swipe at it now. Anything above my limit wasn't going to work "math" (cost) wise for me. I'm sorry.

I'll check on the other box.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Edna the first lot of brug cuttings (the standard varieties) did have the sizes of the cuttings posted in the description but the second box (the one in this post) didn't have the sizes posted. That always sends up a red flag for me so I asked the seller about it and posted her answer. I wonder why they are so small? Did she cut up larger stems just to make it sound like a bigger lot? I probably would have bid if they had been bigger cuttings.
    Karyn

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

im out for sure. I can get some plants for that price. Hope whoever gets it isnt dissappointed.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

In defense of the seller , Heavenscent, I do have to say that she is an experienced *grower* and a member of BGI, and DG. This summer she was nice enough to send me a cutting for postage, and it rooted right away and was practically solid wood. She was even nice enough to send me an extra different one. That one was was semi-wood and rooted right away as well. I am sure she knows what she is doing when taking cuttings :)
    As for typos: that has nothing to do with the ability to grow brugs and we all make them lol! I know my fingers don't always do what my brain tells them to.
    ~Lenette

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I wasn't being malicious about the typos. I make enough of my own. lol I was just pointing out that I c/p'd her reply to me. Her feedback is excellent but I wouldn't want such small cuttings and I've been growing brugs for a while. At least she's honest. There's more then a few sellers that would have tried to make it sound like the cuttings were bigger then they actually are.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Sulty - I'm not out because of the sizes. I figured everyone with more experience cuold do well with those.

I figured there'd be some "skid" (out of pocket for me) - with 6 people committing (figuring not all 6 would be interested) so some small "skid" would come out of my pocket - and a flat rate box for people being 8.95 plus the cost of S&H to me for the initial box. . .my max bid would have resulted in being out my time and a little skid. That's it.

That's the only reason I'm out now - the cost. At a point, you have to just say NO (grin) It's gone beyond my "skid" threshold. (grin)

• chena
    16 years ago

I contacted her as well.. She mentioned someone else ask..LOL But she told me they are 5~7 inches and YES!!! I will probably bid...There are a few things I want and some I already have... she is a upstanding member @ BGI..
    I think if it wasn't straight it would follow you around.. no one needs a shadow..LOL
    Chena

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

I have dealt with Caren also and she sends out great cuttings.

Up to over $152.00- she can get some nice new brugs with that kind of change!!

Brenda

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

For that much money I prefer to buy plants.

• vaskirt
    16 years ago

Well dang it I didn't see the other box up for auction, I need to go check it out...LOL

• vaskirt
    16 years ago

OMG..now that is a box of brugs, great, great box of brugs. I had not seen that auction..but I know someone who did....not calling any names Chena..LOL LOL Edna :)

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

well! 185.00 and growing;

I guess I know what I will be doing next fall :)

16 years ago

Gee even if someone paid 200. and with shipping say another 9.00 (need round numbers here lol) that's 209.00 divided by 38 is like 5.50 per cutting! With some being 'good' doubles that all works itself out. Some doubles will go for 40 for just 3 cuttings not including shipping. It is a pretty good deal but high up front cost LOL! It's like shopping at the brug warehouse! I bet after this, lots of sellers are gonna offer these type of boxed double deals :)

• dparker_la
    16 years ago

Caren & I are in the same brugmansia groups. Wonderful person to deal with and as Brenda said, gives very nice, healthy cuttings. This box is a brugmansia lovers dream garden. Good luck to all bidding!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Whoa - 185.00 - and still climbing. . .(low whistle!)

Even if the other growers put boxes together - they have to be really terrific and unusual ones to pull that price.

Too rich for me. . .unusual or not.

Good luck to anyone who is still in the bidding!!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

A couple hundred might sound high but it's not. I'd think that whoever buys these are either splitting them or planning on selling them. When you figure what the prices are for some of the rooted doubles she's offering, even at twice the amount it's a good deal. They'd be ready for sale in the spring and even at a low of $20 a piece for some of those you'd do very well selling them.
    Karyn

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

Look under Buy it now on ebay 5 cuttings of 5 inch cuttings your choice. 24.95 plus shipping. Many doubles..
    I got
    Double creamsiskle
    Pink Perfection
    Day Dreams
    H.h. Garten
    And pink Smitty
    They come in this week and i will let everyone know if it was worth it.

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'Day Dreams' - Did someone say 'Day Dreams?' :)

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

I agree with karyn1 here, this will go much higher and in the right hands and rooted could bring in a pretty penny in returns!! Or an instant collection for those that win!

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

Oh dear.

I am a shame to the Brug-Loving community!

I love shaping my plants. I even use florist's wire to shape my Nandinas and my Christmas Tree for gosh sakes!

So you can imagine my shock at reading this post.
    All those years of pruning my Precious Brug, whacking off long branches that I felt didn't 'belong', branches that didn't shoot off in the right direction.
    Pulled down branches and set them with wire so that they would shade my Kalanchoe plants. If one of the thinner branches were touching the Kalanchoe, it got whacked off.
    Hard, wood branches!

And what have I been doing with a total of a ton of branches all these years?

The Recycle Bin and out on the curb on Thursday night for pick-up on Friday morning! ACK ACK ACK!

Now that I think back, I've probably put thousands of dollars worth of brug cuttings on the curb...ACK ACK ACK!
    ::sigh::

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

sibhskylvr, sent you e-mail through GW if you don't receive it E-mail me please.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

KHT - true - it would be a nice price if one were going to sell them.

Too steep to purchase and "give" away. (grin)

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Last look it was $197.50. Without roots, for me this would be too much of a gamble. There is a more economical offer ... see Barry's post ... for choice of 5 cuttings and these are the popular ones TDF, too. Good luck to all who bid on the Big Box, I'll have to sit this one out ;0(
    Gloria

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

Hey, there is a contest for an "Adeline" cutting over on DG brug forum- whoever gets the closest to the final bid on this eBay auction wins the cutting.

What do you think the final bid will be???

BTW, I already entered my 'winning bid' number!

Brenda B

16 years ago

ya me too lol, even though I don't need Adeline :)

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

Alright what is going on with this one?? Anyone get an email??

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

The price is still rising like a rocket. Wow!

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

Warning if you get an offer for this off ebay do not answer it or take this person up on the offer. Report this to ebay. Always check your ebay email on the site.
    If it sounds to good to be true, check it out!!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County