Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

Revamped letter

natvtxn
16 years ago

Since Diane will have to have her 9th back surgery, we need to get this done, if we are going to do it.

I left out the word manure. I figured that would send their little hearts racing!

It really is not that big of a deal if I have to move a couple plants. Now!.... if they start on the back yard, I will sick my dogs on them.

Will this shade my eyes?

{{gwi:596936}}

Just stay in the shade

{{gwi:596939}}

Or be a cool dude

{{gwi:596942}}

Please play with me

{{gwi:596945}}

To Parkwood Maintenance Association

I'm requesting to have my landscape plan

approved for these reasons.

As the former owners of Cricket Landscaping Design, my sister and I have over 80 years of combined landscaping experience. We specialized in creating water conservation designs for the physically challenged gardener. This is a low maintenance inexpensive gardening style for any homeowner.

Today everyone talks "go Green" and for years we have advised "go green" before it was called "go Green".

We are both in our 60Âs and unable to mow large areas. I had my third back surgery in 2006. My sister will have her ninth in June.

Our plan is to create a themed low-water landscape with retention of a circular grass path for aesthetics and continuity of the neighborhood.

The other areas will be a manicured xeriscape, with eco friendly layers of compost, organic soil mixes and mulch, planted with perennials and small shrubs.

I assure you this will be non-polluting environmental habitat, once the soil and plants are installed.

As a grandmother and a great grandmother it is our goal to conserve a pollutant free environment for future generations.

There has been a huge decrease in pollinating insects due to lack of habitat. This has a very high potential to effect food supplies and thus the economy.

I am sure you are aware a large part of the organic waste generated ends up choking landfills, producing harmful greenhouses gases and creates serious disposal problems for local communities. There is no longer an "over there " place to put waste. The use of nutrient-rich, worm casting based product, instead of mined chemical fertilizers, further helps to protect the earth, air, and water from toxic pollution.

Kathryn Cooper

Comments (11)

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Very nicely put Kathy. I hope this mellows them out and they let you get on with beautifying your front yard and their community.

FlowerLady

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

Hi, Kathy, that is a friendly letter. Personally, I wouldn't mention pollinating insects. If anybody on the board is allergic to bee stings, the idea of a bee in the neighborhood might send them off the deep end! Butterflies create caterpillars, so some people wouldn't like the idea of that either.

Good luck! By the way, I love the photo of your Collie, or Sheltie--what a beauty.

Lorna

• todancewithwolves
    16 years ago

Just a thought. You may want to define the word Xeriscape as some people may not know the definition. You could use; Xeriscape landscaping, by definition, is landscaping designed specifically for areas that are susceptible to drought, or for properties where water conservation is practiced.

Good luck!

Edna

p.s. Ruari would love to play :OP
    {{gwi:596948}}

• PattiOH
    16 years ago

I thought it was a fine letter, Kathy, and your dogs' photos are darling.
    Love at first sight here, with that beautiful collie!!!

Patti

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

I'd agree with: not mentioning any poo, not mentioning insects of any kind, and defining things a little more like "low water plants" and "xeriscape". You might simply say "low water plants like daylilies, and chrysanthemums" - mentioning a few plants someone might very well recognize.

Giving your credentials is an excellent touch, it states you are professional and can with within specifics.

I hope this satisfies the "powers that be". They are probably mostly worried that you will have a very non-manicured, wild looking front yard that might pave the way for others to re-interpret any kinds of rules.

GGG

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dang, I missed the boat. I should have included this on my plan.

{{gwi:596951}}

They would have p**ped little green bb's

• keesha2006
    16 years ago

I like the revamped letter, and if thaat doesnt work, send the dogs visiting..they could win anyones heart!!

• mora
    16 years ago

Kathy, well said, I can't believe you and your sister are having to go through so many "hoops" to appease folks who should just trust you in the first place; I mean really, these folks need to give themselves a "shake" and direct their meddling efforts to the "real" problems of the world...You go girl, M

• DYH
    16 years ago

Good letter. Wishing you all the best to get the approval. Hang in there!

Cameron

• Steveningen
    16 years ago

It's good, Kathy. It's polite, well written and let's them understand you know what you are doing. Personally, I would leave "xeriscape" in. Never hurts to send them to Wikipedia and learn something.

Now if this letter doesn't convince them I have one more suggestion. You might drive around the neighborhood and make sure the people on the Board have lawns that live up to the letter of the law. A couple of unflattering pictures could prove embarrassing. It also doesn't hurt to see that their friends haven't been given a wink and a nod on questionable projects. Just saying.

Best of luck, but really, I think you have this one in your pocket.

Steven

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

I'm LMAO, Steven. I bet Kathy is out there going round the neighborhood with her camera right now. What an excellent suggestion! Of course, as you say, only employed if more ammo is necessary.

Lorna

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor