Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinva_gw

How to determine proximity of plant to bush

robinva
16 years ago

Is there a rule of thumb as to how to determine just how close to plant a clematis to a bush that you want it to climb? Is it measured from the trunk or the outside edge of plant or neither?

Comments (20)

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Robin, I can just offer advice based on my experience but I have some clematis planted no more than 3 inches away from the base of a tree (Alionushka next to a japanese maple and Venosa Violacea similarly planted next to a styrax tree). Neither of these clematis seem the least affected by being planted so close to those trees but I do attempt to keep them better watered. I also have Perle d' Azur planted within a foot of the base of a variegated privet bush trimmed up as a tree, Kermesina and Blekitny Aniol planted within a foot of a vitex bush, quite a few viticellas planted within a foot of a huge Zelkova tree. All seem to do well assuming of course that they are given water since they will be in competition with the bush or tree for the moisture and nutrients.

So I guess in answer to your question, I would say I have things planted anywhere from a few inches to a foot or so from the base of the tree/shrub.

Oh yeah, finally are getting some rain!! WHO HOOOOO!!! Woke up around 11am and it appears to have been raining softly for a while and since then have has several heavier rains--presumably from the remnants of Umberto. Keep it coming all day, night and weekend long for all I care!!!

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I knew you were getting rain..Yeaaaaaaaaaaa...and I agree..I plant mine anywhere from 3-6 inches from anything...Jeanne

• robinva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jeanne and Miguel. Got the answers that I was looking for. Thanks. Miguel, when you plant so close to a mature tree trunk don't you have a problem with roots?
    Good news Miguel. You have been in a dry spell for several weeks. We have had a nice gentle rain all day today, a little late but nevertheless much appreciated.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Congratulations on the long awaited rainfall Nckvilledudes! Told you I was sending it your way!

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Robin, Jeanne, and Tracy thanks!!! I just watched it fall before going into work. Then when I got to work the bottom fell out. Will have to check the rain gauge tomorrow to see how much we got. Anything is better than nothing.

Robin, I have never had too much of an issue with digging that close to the trees that I have planted the clematis next to. Perhaps it depends on the tree or shrub though.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I just planted Clems right next to almost mature crabapple and plum trees with no problems. Had to poke around to find a spot where we could dig a big enough hole between the roots but it wasn't hard.

• robinva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What is your secret my friends? I just went outside and poked around a few potential trees and bushes. The roots are growing horizontaly and I can't find spaces large enough to dig holes. I used to go by the books digging my holes 18x18". After a conversation with Miguel I started digging them 12x12" which is a lot less work. Now tell me can you actually find a 12x12 space between the roots of a mature tree or any fairly mature bush? How can I put this without sounding, well you know, but how big do you dig your holes? Hmmm!

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Sometimes Robin, the size of the hole is dictated by the space available. I have planted many an individual clematis in holes that were much less than 12 by 12 inches. Like I said in my earlier post, it might depend on the type of bush/tree you are planting the clematis under and the age as well.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Robin, I think you may need to just add dirt around the base of your tree. I have been seeing many of the landscapers doing this lately. They will basically create a raised bed on top of root riddled ground and plant in many perennials around the trunk of the tree. I know that for a long time this was not recommended as good for mature trees but maybe the opinion has changed in this matter. Is this an option for you?

• robinva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tracy, building the soil up is a good idea but I do not know if it is the best way to go for clems. They grow deep roots. I think this is more for ground covers etc. Miguel, if you have been successful with even smaller than 12x12 holes then that is going to be the way that I will go. Getting a shipment from Dan this week. Thanks for your advice everyone and have a great weekend. By the way does anyone go by the books and really dig those 18x18" holes?

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

You know I don't Robin!!! LOL If you can get a smaller hole dug and it is relatively deep, I would go that way. Just realize that those plants will need extra moisture and nutrients because of the root competition.

Tracy, I haven't heard that about adding soil on top of the soil around trees and shrubs not causing issues. If you added enough soil to allow planting of a clematis under a tree, you would have to add a whole lot of soil. I wouldn't assume that this is true just from what your local "landscapers" do since anyone that can afford to go out and buy the equipment can start calling themselves "landscapers". The "landscapers" in my area, even ones that take care of large areas and commercial areas, still think that cutting the tops out of crepe myrtles is an acceptable practice. Not me--still is crepe murder anyway you look at it!

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I don't either Robin..I think as long as you plant it deeper..is more important!!Adding too much soil around an established tree can be the kiss of death...Jeanne

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Robin, I am bowing to the more experienced Clematis growers on this issue. I have never tried it myself. I am curious as to long term results of planting a raised bed around mature trees.

That is what I had always heard Jeanne, I was curious to see if anyone had ever had successes or failures after having done this.

Nckvilledudes, you are 100% correct that it would have to be a lot of dirt! That is the strangest part about watching these guys add it around the trees, they are going as high as 2 feet from the root base. Crepe Murderers, leave our myrtle alone.

Personally, I wouldn't mind giving it a try in my front yard, but not for the clems. I have a few pines that have long legs and full canopies that could use a good dressing up but I would only put some groundcovers or annuals around the base, nothing that would require deep rooting. It wouldn't be a loss for me if the tree didn't survive as the dh is itching to attack it with a chainsaw and this would be my last ditch effort to keep him at bay. If I dress it up he will usually not venture into garden country. This is my effort to save the trees. :O)

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I have never dug a 18 x 18 hole for any of my Clematis.

DH used a post hole digger to dig amongst the tree roots.

I would not pile soil up around a tree. I think any landscaper doing this has no clue.

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

As of late, I have been planting some of my clematis' next to trees in my yard, I have many. Just the other day I planted a Hagley Hybrid clem next to a huge pine tree, let me tell you, I came across many roots but with the help of some good loopers, I managed to dig a large enough hole where I ammended the soil with some compost/peat and bone meal. I suppose only time will tell whether or not I planted it too close to the tree, I sure hope not.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Question: What is a looper? I've looked it up and found everything from music accessories to pests of cabbage. Sounds like a very handie tool!

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I think Linda meant loppers and not loopers. Tools that are used to cut fairly thick branches off of plants. I used one this weekend to whack back my fig tree which had gotten so tall that I couldn't reach quite a bit of the fruit.

See link below for an assortment of loppers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loppers

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

When I read it I just thought loppers, didn't even notice it said loopers. :) We didn't cut any big roots. Just poked with the shovel until we found a spot without any.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I'm laughing at myself now! LOL! Should have thought of that one all by myself. My brain was cooking trying to figure out what kind of tool that was. Ah well, mystery solved. Thanks!

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

*LOL* Yes, sorry for the typeo, that's exactly what I meant Loppers, they've become my new best friend of late, I'm never without them when I'm out in my yard. I have three, all different sizes, from hand held to very large. I have quite a few trees on my property with very invasive roots, a royal pain in the butt for sure.

Linda