Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Atragenes, Alpinas for the south?

erasmus_gw
3 months ago

I am not familiar with these groups having never bought one. I love the looks of blue macropetala, or

Blue Dancer and others. Dan at Brushwood told me these groups don't do well in the south but some descriptions of them rate them as ok zone 3 - 9. Anyone here in the south that grows these?

I'm in zone 7a, NC.

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 months ago

" but some descriptions of them rate them as ok zone 3 - 9. "

Since the zonal system only indicates winter cold tolerance, there is no way to judge suitability to other climatic conditions that might be present in the South, such as high humidity, warm nights (no cool down), heat, excessive rainfall, etc. So yes, getting recs from those that actually grow these vines in the South is really the only way to judge.

I do know that our former highly experienced and valued member Miguel Viso (passed some years go now) lived in NC and he grew and bred a vast array of clems of all types. So I'd bet these are possible. They all grow like weeds in my zone 9 but I do not have Southern climate conditions otherwise :-))

erasmus_gw thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I think Miguel found those plants difficult in his climate but he was further east than I am and likely at a lower elevation. It's hotter in his area. We get some heat too but nights aren't that bad in summer. I am going to try one because it is worth $15 to me just to see how it does.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 months ago

I'd definitely give 'Joe Zary' a try, and especially so because it produces new blooms all summer.

erasmus_gw thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I'll take a look at it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 months ago

" I am going to try one because it is worth $15 to me just to see how it does. "

That would be my philosophy as well. 😊 It's not like it's a break-the-bank investment so try it and see how it works out. I really like the looks of Joe Zary and might just order one myself.

Just be prepared to give it a few seasons to settle in and show its stuff.

erasmus_gw thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Joe Zary is lovely. It's great to hear what does well for other people. Hope it has a chance in my climate. I already bought an alpina Blue Dancer from Donahue's but Hummingbird Farm has some Joe Zary. I might make an additional order with them. Have been tempted for quite awhile to get a Gipsy Queen but think it might be so similar to Jackmanii Superba that I don't need both. ?? Am wondering whether viorna clems or heracleafolias are tricky in the south. I love all the different shapes and great variety of clems. Crispa is native to the south I think but I read somewhere that blooms are far and few between. I might be happy just to go somewhere where I can see them.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 months ago

'Joe Zary' is resilient, as long as soil conditions are to its liking it tends to flourish in a wide range of climates. The story behind this beauty is it was developed by a buddy of mine Stan Zubrowski of Saskatchewan, Canada. Not foreseeing the possible commercial value of the plant, Stan did not secure a patent and 'Joe Zary' soon made way into the hands of the Dutch and released far and wide that Stan not receive a single cent upon his beautiful creation. Jim Sullivan is another Canadian clematis breeder, I've been told many of his hybrids would knock one's socks off, though at least from what I've been told, he's demonstrated little interest in having any of them released.

'Joe Zary' at the base of a birch tree.

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Very pretty picture against the white trunks. That's too bad Stan didn't make any money from his plant but nice it got out there to people. Seems it would not be hard for Jim Sullivan to allow people to sell his plants ...maybe even arrange an informal contract so he'd get some royalties. I don't know what would be involved. Have you tried the clem that has yellow-green foliage...Stolwyk Gold? If so, how does it do ?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I have little clue as to Jim's reluctance to go forward with commercial sales, maybe he's all too humble or something. I've bred some pretty decent, very hardy repeat blooming roses that with my consent have been sent to the likes of Iceland and Finland, let the folks enjoy I say!

'Stolwijk Gold' I do have and rather like, though needs moving from its current very dry difficult setting.

erasmus_gw thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last month

I liked Stolwijk Gold in Alaska z3. I haven't tried it here yet.

erasmus_gw thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR