Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silenteyesspy

Thanksgiving Cactus In Full Bud!!

silenteyesspy
9 years ago

Thanksgiving Cactus. Buds in place, right on time as usual for a Thanksgiving center piece!!!!

Comments (61)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Beauties, Oksana!
    Those are Thanksgiving Cacti, Schlumbergera truncata.

Josh

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Hi all,
    Lovely cacti either way!
    Here in Canada I generally hear them called Christmas cacti. It's always interesting to see "common names" attributed to the same plant.

Cheers,

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

Oh, I love my TCs, CC and ECs *grins*
    I had some very early blooming this year. I guess it's because of June, it was untypically cold and windy this year.
    {{gwi:671339}}
    {{gwi:671340}}
    {{gwi:671343}}
    {{gwi:671346}}
    These were cute surprises.

Also the "Bloom Fest" was still early this year.
    {{gwi:103530}}
    {{gwi:103531}}
    {{gwi:103532}}
    {{gwi:103533}}
    {{gwi:103534}}
    {{gwi:103536}}
    {{gwi:103538}}
    {{gwi:103542}}
    {{gwi:103543}}
    {{gwi:103544}}
    And this one was a surprise.
    {{gwi:103529}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

You have some beauties there Lii...

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

rina_, thank you. I would have larger variety of colors, but this Spring I suffered major root rot attack and I had to start from a scratch with many of them. It was a valuable lesson, too much caring is being overbearing and harmful, slight neglect is accepted.

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

Lii-sama
    beautiful flowering!

Josh
    I know my cacti are Schlumbergera truncata. They are called Christmas cacti in Russia. As in Canada. Because they are blooming by Christmas in here usually.

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Oks, the reason I emphasized "CHRISTMAS" on my post is that true Christmas cactus do not usually have blooms this early.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

They are called Christmas Cacti here, and it is wrong/inaccurate here as well :-)
    As Laura mentions, the true Christmas Cacti set buds/blooms later.

Josh

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

Josh
    lol lol lol
    Schlumbergera truncata are blooming at our summer sometimes. Because +59F isn't rare at Siberian summer :) F.e. my cacti were blooming last time at June.
    Oksana.

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Lii...amazing blooms!! I especially love the orange. My orange TC had one bloom during the summer this year, but it was pink! It's in full bud right now and it looks like the blooms will be orange. I love schlums. I just wish they didn't take up so much room!

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

Oks2n2, thank you.
    LauraRobichaud, thank you and I agree, the orange is lovely and full of buds and flowers. I bought him last year and I am sure I even had valid reason to bring him home *grins* I think I have aprox 30 ECs, TCs and CC (I have only one color, but judging from photos there might be different colors as well).

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Everybody!!! Sorry I've been really busy with work!!! Now with some down time, I'm coming on here. You have some really gorgeous cacti there, I love the colors. The Easter cactus is a true surprise, mine only seems to bloom around spring. As far as my True CC, no buds yet, and normally it doesn't put out till decemberish. All my truncatas are well and budded, my fav that I have is my yellow one. As far as John Wade, too much sun! Sunburnt segments, remember these grown on trees high in the rainforest. They get a lot of shade, it's the brightness that keeps them growing!

• jameya
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the pictures!! They are all so pretty!! i recently just got into plants and im on the lookout for the thanksgiving and christmas ones..they dont have them out yet, i went to a few stores last night looking to see if anywhere had them out yet, and i couldnt find any yet :)

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@jameya: I'm not sure where you live, but here in NE, all the grocery stores have them =) I have to have a lot of resistance when I go in there, because I just want to save them all!

• jameya
    9 years ago

Silenteyesspy...i am in central indiana, and i have checked at lowes, menards, rual king, krogers, walmart, mijers, and have called 2 nurseries and 1 flower shop..so far the flower shop is the only one that said they can order one for me and then told me that there is no difference from a christmas catcus vs thanksgiving catcus, all the other stores have told me that they dont know if they will get them in or not, and heck after seeing all these beautiful pictures i dont mind getting any, or all!! Lol. I have not tried Marsh grocery store yet...are they only out certain times of the year or can you find them anytime??

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

The flower shop is wrong. There IS a difference. Thanksgiving cactus leaves are pointed on the sides, Christmas cactus is scalloped on the edges.

http://www.hortmag.com/weekly-tips/qa/christmas-cactus-thanksgiving-cactus-and-easter-cactus

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Nice plants! Here is mine. I do not know the colour, as I inherited it from the previous occupant of my place, but I am assuming it is white...

Christopher

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

How do I not have a Thanksgiving or Christmas Cactus yet?!?!?

Do you think now that all my plants are crammed on one table I can sneak one in without my boyfriend noticing? And where can I get one?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Beautiful blooms everyone!!! It is very early this year. Even for me in FL they are starting to bud...I even had an Easter cactus blooming in Aug.,lol...that's never happened before!

Deva33...I saw them for sale yesterday at Walmart...they had 4" pots for $2.98 each...they had buds on them :o)

You should find them at the Big Box stores and some of your local grocery stores usually carries them in about 2 weeks or so...

• lme5573
    9 years ago

This bright red TC hopped in my grocery cart this morning! Last year TC didn't show up on the shelves until Christmas week, and only one color at that.
    This year I found two shades of pink and two shades of red. I looked for orange or yellow, but not this week. Maybe they will restock with different colors.
    I lost my bright red TC last summer, so I hope this is the same plant from the same vendor. I hope.
    Lennie

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Well I'm bummed. Nary a bud in sight! Either everything will be late this year, or maybe we will be skipping blooms this time.

I went to several BBS looking for TCs - they actually knew what I meant - but none were in yet. I'll keep checking, tho. They will be here eventually.

Everyone - your plants look great! Obviously, I'm envious. LOL

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures everyone! Just seeing yours just excites me!! @jameya, there's actually a big difference between Thanksgiving Cacti and Christmas Cacti. Thanksgiving Cacti are Schlumbergera Truncata, they grow in the lower rain forest, bloom earlier and have the "teeth/horns." Now Schlumbergera X Buckleyi grows at a much higher altitude of the rainforest, and buds/blooms much later. They also have symmetrical rosie flowers that hang down in a perfect star shape.

• jameya
    9 years ago

Silenteyesspy,

Thank you for telling me those things. So do you tell the difference of the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter by the shape of the ends of the leaves??

I recently FINALLY found four different color catcus, and they were all labeled "Christmas Catcus" at Menards. They had just got in a shipment that day of them and had already sold all but the last four i grabbed. I have read one this site that sometime places spray chemicals on different plants to make them "bunch up" if you would call it that. The four i found a couple of them seem to sort of start laying down instead of sticking straight up like they were when i brought them home last week. They are all in bloom and have buds that have not opened yet. I got a white, magenta deep pink, a lighter but still kind of dark pink, and a pretty coral.

Before i found these four at Menards, i went by a local nursery, and two different florist shops looking for the Thanksgiving, and/or Christmas (i figured its too early to look for an Easter yet) because they are so pretty i want a couple different ones. All three of those places said there was no difference between the Thanksgiving and Christmas one. I have just recently in the past year got into collecting plants, and trying to keep them alive (dont have a green thumb and recently killed my favorite Bonazi and trying to keep my violets and devils ivy alive lol) and i tried to explain that i thought the difference in them is the end of the leaves, but i was not quite sure yet, and two out of the three dismissed me and still said they are the same plant, but one owner of a florist shop called their distributor and asked them, and even they had no clue there even was a difference, but she took the time to glance through some threads here i had bookmarked, and even wrote the site down so she could come back later to check it out, because she said it was "always nice to learn something new about plants" so that is great, but in my area it seems like not many people have a clue, so i would like to know the differences and that way if i am in a store and come across some more of them, i will be able to have an idea from just looking at them because i would like to have a couple of all of them.

• hippeastrumadmirer
    9 years ago

THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL, BUT HOWCOME YOUR CHRISTMAS CACTUS HAS POLLEN, BUT MINE DOES NOT?

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Is it true that these don't need much light and can flower even as a desktop plant?

• averil
    9 years ago

This is my cc starting to bud in UK. It flowered in March as well

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Avril, I am beyond jealous!!! My Truncata are the only ones in bud right now. Normally here in the states, my CC doesn't start till well in December. All my cacti bloom into very late spring!

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Jameya: Read all this. It's very clear and to the point! You should read through everything on this page.

http://cactus-epiphytes.eu/z_page_les_cactus_de_noel.htm

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Well, I guess worrying does work, since 95% of what I worry about doesn't happen!

Today I have found itsy bitsy buds starting on my TCs. Yea!!!
    (Altho I have my doubts about them being ready for Thanksgiving, I am happy!)

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Forget Thanksgiving Cacti.....here's the first True Christmas cactus flower of the season!

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LauraRobichaud: AHHHHH!!!! I'm SO JEALOUS!!!! Where do you live that it already bloomed!?!?!?!?!? Mine don't bud till like december!!! It's so beautiful!!! You must share your secret!

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Here is mine one week ago. Not sure about variety. Since this is Thanksgiving time, I figure it is Thanksgiving cactus.

{{gwi:671360}}

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

LauraRobichaud, lovely color.
    RedSun, yeah, that's TC. Very nice color.
    Today 2 jumped in my arms again. I will gift the other one to my sister, but I will be the one taking care of him. Still feeling better for not getting 2 cacti for myself lol

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RedSun: Very beautiful!!!

LauraRobichaud: My CC is finally in full bud!!! I can't wait!!

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Is there a name for the one I have? I believe this is the first time I see it blooming. We've had it for a couple of years. This is the first time I remember the blooming. The plant is still small, in a small pot.

Also, how can you tell Thanksgiving C. vs. Xmas C. and Easter C.?

This post was edited by RedSun on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 18:26

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RedSun: Read everything on this page =)

http://cactus-epiphytes.eu/z_page_les_cactus_de_noel.htm

• parodise
    9 years ago

Mine are in full bloom!

• parodise
    9 years ago

A close-up

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Wow, Lena! Those are beautiful.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Photos taken today. Should be in full bloom at Thanksgiving time.

{{gwi:671362}}
    {{gwi:671363}}
    {{gwi:671364}}

I think this might be Schlumbergera russelliana, but I'm not sure.

After checking the blogs on TC, XC and EC, it appears this is related to the TC. But there is some difference from the TC. For this one, the edge of the leaf is pointed, but not very pointed like a typical TC. Also it is missing the front two teeth. But this is not a XC either since the edge of the leaf is pointed, not scallop shaped.

This post was edited by RedSun on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 17:49

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I am SO far behind everyone! But I am happy to report that my 2 plants are finally loaded with itsy bitsy buds - even the one I had to repot in early September.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

OMG,such beauties,mine are all still in bud form.Parodise your are Amazing,that first one is to die for GORGEOUS!!
    Tfs
    kathi

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

RedSun, your cactus looks like the variegated Cristen.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Camellia1, thx for telling. It is very confusing about the TC/CC varieties. I'm going to get some books from the library to study it.

This is the small single plant I have, blooming the very first year. I love it.

• silenteyesspy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

parodise: Simply gorgeous!!! I love the color!!!

RedSun: That's a Truncata. They're always Truncata if you get them from the stores. The stores don't sell anything different.

Crenda: Being behind isn't a bad thing. Yours will be beyond beautiful when they bloom!!!

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

I got my first Christmas cactus last week for my mother (although it's still me taking care of it haha..). It had loads of buds when I got it and now they're starting to open up, so very pretty!

{{gwi:671365}}

{{gwi:671366}}

{{gwi:671368}}

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

That's a Thanksgiving cactus and a really nice one!

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

I see, I clearly don't know the difference! Haha Thanksgiving in Canada already passed that's why I just call it Christmas cactus xD

Thanks though!