Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good day, dear cottagers.

[Insert pleasant small talk about the weather here.]

We know what agriculture and horticulture are, and probably even aquaculture, but do you know what silviculture is?

TM

Ha! How's that for being short, but not very sweet?

Comments (29)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Good morning everyone, looks like it's going to be a cloudy day so I should be able to spend some time outside. On to trivia It has to do with the management of what we have a lot of in B.C.

Annette

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    TM lol too funny hahaha! Thanks for the laugh.
    It's another beautiful day here is my neck of the woods.
    I definitely need more clues.
    The topic reminds me of a gardeners joke.

A master gardener was giving a lecture when one of her students asked for the definition of the word horticulture.
    kinda blue humor, but makes me laugh.
    :) Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

lol. Laura - that reminds me of my favourite Dorothy Parker quote: you can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think!! Love it.

I'm with Annette on this. Cyn, this should be near and dear to your heart!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Yes, I do think I know this! Coming from Pennsylvania helps as does having read Tolkien and his name for certain elves. ;)

So, now, back to the yard. It makes me laugh-is there a word for the cultivation of weeds? Also, we had to cut down an oak several years ago and we didn't gring the stump. I now have a flourishing oak bush that is about six feet tall and 4-5 feet wide. Ridiculous, but I rather like it.

Out to the heat and weeds again. Fun, fun, fun. Really. But then you all know that!

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Nancy, lol yes that's what I was thinking of. ;)

Does this have something to do with power lines? I'm lost on this one. Need more clues please

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I'm following and need more clues.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For Bobbie and Laura --

In 1969, there was a Broadway musical called Paint Your Wagon. A song from the movie, about talking to something, was later performed by the Smothers Brothers on TV, and on one of their albums. I always thought it was kind of a sappy song, and not one of my favorites. If you know the song, then you know what silviculture is.

I have more if this doesn't do it for you.

TM

This post was edited by thinman on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 13:28

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

William Penn named the colony for himself and what he found there. Many an afternoon (especially on the weekend) found us wandering in the wild.

So, on another note, I really can't see the big picture here in the yard as long as I continue focusing on the small details here (weeds) or to put it another way,...

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Got it! Would like to work in the garden but it's another rainy day. Will have plenty of weeds to pull and glad when I can get the mulch down.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 14:05

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Ppppfh! lol still need clues. I'm totally in the dark here. I remember the joke "mom always liked me best" And they got in trouble for insulting the president?
    Off to ask DH if he knows.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Math joke: What did the acorn say when he grew up?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Watch out for those Teddy Bears having a picnic.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

lol. Lots of good clues in there!! Whew - up from my nap - yes, I still need one, if only to get horizontal and take pressure off my stitches. I got lots plants potted up. We stopped at a yard sale yesterday and I scored a few nice pots. Joyce picked up some nicotinia and wave petunias on sale, so we have a nice bunch of pots that should fill in well. Pictures will follow, eventually.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

TM, what DID the acorn say when he grew up? I am stumped (haha, just realized that is a wee bit amusing, but didn't intend it).

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The acorn said "Geometry!"

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I bet when I see the answer i will say, DUH! but nope, got nothing here. Maybe something about pencils, but just a stab in the dark. What does an acorn say to an oak....Are you my mother?....Nope, nothing.lol
    once again, I type too slow :( lol

This post was edited by auntyara on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 21:54

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Haha! I love that! Wonder if my kids will get it. I am always having to explain jokes to them.

10 years ago

Laura, think of a shade of green, deep green, does this help?

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

or Robert Frost stopping on a snowy evening...

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Laura - you said you were in a place......way back there......

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

"Geometry" very funny!
    Nuts! ok grasping at straws!
    forestry? Lumber yarding? Smother's brothers? Ugh!
    Even when TM posts the answer,... I'll still be stumped lol

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Wait,.... Christmas tree farming? ~ sliver of hope~ lol
    nope still lost here.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, that's close enough, and now I think everyone has it. In short, silviculture is the culture of trees, as found in a particular stand. It's part of the larger field of forestry. Apparently silva is the latin word for forest.

From the Minnesota DNR: Silviculture is the art and science of controlling the establishment, growth, composition, health, and quality of forests and woodlands to meet the multitude of purposes and values of landowners and society on a sustainable basis.

for all of you!

Thanks for playing trivia with me.

TM

P.S. The song was "I Talk To The Trees." Did you catch the sappy reference? Ha ha.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I didn't get that reference, but now remember the song!! It was one of the sappy ones they used when they wanted to make a point!!
    Thanks for the fun, TM and Cyn!!

Nancy.

10 years ago

Thanks for the stars TM. DH's whole working life other then a stint in the navy was spent in the pulp and paper end of this industry so I knew this one right off the bat.

Annette

• auntyara
    10 years ago

TM, Thanks for the undeserved stars :)

My goodness, where was my head at yesterday??? I blame the heat, spreading mulch, waiting on customers, dehydration, the government, my visiting family, the beer I was drinking, etc,etc, lol I didn't even notice the word "math" in the acorn joke.
    Lots of fun!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, question and everyone's clues. Also watched the Smother Brothers 'I Talk to the Trees" routine on U-Tube. Didn't look up the Painted Wagon rendition though saw the movie long ago. Laughed and remembered how much I enjoyed TSB show.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

"I believe in the cosmos. All of us are linked to the cosmos. Look at the sun: If there is no sun, then we cannot exist. So nature is my god. To me, nature is sacred; trees are my temples and forests are my cathedrals."
    - Mikhail Gorbachev, 1990

"It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit."
    -Robert Louis Stevenson

Thanks for the fun and the stars, TM.

Pennsylvania means Penn's Woods. Learned that in elemenary school there! Annette, my dad worked in the same business with Scott Paper Company. Heaven frobid that we would ever use the term kleenex at our house-those tissues were Scotties. :). That is the reason I was born in Wisconsin. They sent dad out there for one year to learn the pulp mill end of the business. Lucky for me he returned to Philadelphia headquarters-too cold up there for me!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, and the 'sappy' clue was great, TM!

Now, off to watch I talk to the trees. :)

Cynthia

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County