Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legray_gw

please help me choose a livingroom tree.

legray
18 years ago

Since I received the lemon tree for my birthday, my family has been a little envious, they want me to put some type of citrus in the livingroom that'll flower as well. I think the fruit'd be a bonus to them, mostly they want those lush blossoms.

The livingroom itself has been described as "cave like", and I'll be putting in special lighting just for the tree. A full spectrum lightbulb directly over head on a sort of sconce like lamp (which would probably be a distance of about 1-2 feet away from future tree), and a floor lamp with standard florescent bulbs, all set to run for 12 hours a day, and a humidifier for 40 minutes a day.

I've narrowed my choices down to these three:

Calamondin - sometimes called dwarf orange, Kalamansi, or Philippine Lime.

Trovita - sometimes called blood orange.

Bearss Seedless Lime

Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree.

I plan on getting the tree on the internet, in the next month or two, so as to prepare its living space and pool funds. Any advice you give me on selecting a tree and cultivating it for my home, would be hugely appreciated, since I'm really quite new at this. I've researched as much as I could online, but I like to ask advise as well.

Comments (6)

• tamstrees
    18 years ago

calamondin has the most flowers, best scent & the fruits stays on a long time.

• kybasche
    18 years ago

When you say "full-spectrum" bulb, I assume you're talking about fluorescents (If you're talking about HID type lights, then none of this really is that relevant)? I'm imagining a dark living room with small, north facing windows and a few fluorescents providing light for the tree.

From what I understand about fluorescents... they lose their intensity very very very quickly as you increase the distance away from the source. I've read that the lights need to be JUST above the foliage for them to have a fairly significant effect. Not that I'm an expert on the subject, nor do I have personal experience... just relaying some things that I've heard.

I don't mean to discourage your project, just want to make sure that you and your family get the most out of your tree!

~Derek

• JMLRCYMNTS
    18 years ago

I agree with Tam...Calamondin would be my first choice too. For more "interest" think about the variegated one 'tho their light requirments might be a bit different than the regular green one. Also, consider a more "shrubby", multi-stemmed version vs. a tall, slender, single stem (a "standard"). My "shrub form" ones are only about 18" tall from soil line but are the size of a bushel basket and constantly loaded with blooms and fruits (which make a great marmalade). East to get along with. The extra light and humidity is a must!

• legray
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Calamondin was high on my list of selections, with a Meyer as a close second (mostly because they've already seen the Meyer, and so already know it's gorgeous).

I know the florescents lose their effectiveness the farther away it is, but these are the compact, 1500 footcandle sort, and they'll probably be within 18 inches of the tree. One will be directly over head, and it'll be about a foot or so above it (it'll be on a table, and the sconce will beam the light down on it), and the other two will be on a floor lamp that is purchased specifically for the tree, therefor will be placed right next to it. It'll 'spotlight' the tree within 10 inches or so. I'm guessing it'll likely get enough light to do decently well for itself, with the 3 bulbs on it like that, at that range.

I informed my family when the threw their "we want a lemon tree, too," tantrum, that changes will have to be made, and I plan on making those changes before I make the purchase. I'm trying hard to do good by the tree.

And oy, is it cave like. I think even your little dark image of my livingroom falls short. It's a long, narrow livingroom with exactly two, small windows on opppisite sides of the "hallway", which face a fence. Nothing in that livingroom would survive without lots of electric lights, including the people who live here. *laugh*

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Leg, is there a window in the LR? The lights would be a good choice as supplimental lighting, but citrus need sun, too.
    Perhaps you should look into Murraya..it flowers throughout the year and now as touchy as citrus..The entire house is scented..
    One ohter thing. LR's are usually dry and stuffy in winter. A humidifer and ceiling fan (kept on low) would surely help..Toni

• legray
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm too wordy, my first post was too long to read completely. Sorry 'bout that. I'm the wordy sort.

He'll get 12 hours full spectrum florescents a day, and the humidifier will run 40 minutes per day. Likely we'll treat him as an indoor/outdoor, since our summers are getting weirder and weirder (downright unAlaskan). Our windows are pretty useless, but they exist, single pane glass, though, so they're not all that great.