Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Seed Swap?

cziga
15 years ago

Just wondering if we were going to do the Cottage Garden forum seed swap again this year? I haven't seen any posts for it and I look forward to it each fall now :) Anyone know?

Comments (12)

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

Tracy started the seed swap and carried it on for 3 years. I haven't seen her post in a very very long time.

I can't imagine where she found the time plus all the work it involved. I still refer to her as St. Tracy ;-)

Anyone one else up for the vocation?

• cziga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would almost volunteer except being in Canada, it makes things extremely inconvenient and difficult for everyone else to send stuff, postage rates, etc. Someone from the USA would have to organize it, if someone is willing.

Tracy was wonderful and it was a great tradition that she started. I really enjoyed the swap each time I participated! I remember the photos of all the packages she would receive, and she always seemed so incredibly organized about it all!

• thinman
    15 years ago

Speaking only for myself, it's a wee bit too late now. There's nothing left for me to collect seeds from.

Bless Tracy's heart for doing all she did in the past.

ThinMan

• PattiOH
    15 years ago

Tracy did deserve a medal for what she went through with those seeds.
    In the beginning it was pretty much just the Cottage Garden gang, and while it was a lot of work for Tracy, it seemed to at least be a manageable amount, and I know she was glad to do this as a service for everyone. Unfortunately last year things really got out of hand with a very large group of participants (meaning many people that we never heard from before or since, and I don't blame them for wanting to join in). I'm sure everyone that received seeds had a positive experience. But what a mammoth job for the person doing the sorting and sending, and I don't know how you could ever keep the numbers "reasonable".
    Patti

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

I didn't participate in the group seed swap last year but I could see how it was snowballing into what would be TOO much work for one person, Tracy deserved a medal for what she did.
    On the other hand I have sent a few seeds off to several people who have asked for certain ones, no need to swap I just ask them to pay it forward, in other words do a favor for someone else :o). I have noticed cottagers are the first to offer up seeds of..... whenever someone is looking for a certain variety, so maybe the one on one is the best way to go.
    TM, email me if you're still interested in the Lunaria seed.

Annette

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I belong to another forum which swaps seeds. People post what they have and what they want. One approaches individuals through private Email to make direct swaps.

I have seeds for arugula, jalapeno, spectacle pod (white wildflower), Santolina, dark blue groundcover plumbago, bush nasturtium, marigold, and yucca glauca if anybody is interested.

Lorna

• faltered
    15 years ago

Oh thank you Rainey for pointing me to this thread! Hi ya'll!!! Long time no post, I know. I've been a bad "cottager."

Unfortunately I am not doing the seed swap this year. I enjoyed it for the first few years we had it going. And then last year it really got me down. It seemed like so many people signed up that I had never seen around the forum. They sent enormous "want lists" with no return postage or envelopes. And then after investing my own time and money to return their envelopes, they emailed me complaining!!! They were upset they didn't get their want lists fulfilled, that they received fewer seed packets than they sent in, etc.

It got me so down that I decided not to do this this year. Plus, my hubby and I have been so busy with our house that I haven't had much time to collect seeds of my own to share.

On the plus side, I inherited a pond form from my brother. So next spring hubby & I will be digging a huge hole for it in the yard. Then I can plan my gardens around that. Anyone know of a good source for a solar fountain head or pump?? No electricity outside.

I've been blogging almost daily (My blog), which keeps me pretty busy. Feel free to drop by and say hi anytime! I won't be gardening now that the cold has reached the western New York area.

*hugs* to all! And a happy Halloween!!

Tracy

• thinman
    15 years ago

It's a shame that some rude greedy people wrecked the experience for you, Tracy. You went FAR beyond the call of duty by even sending those folks anything at all, and to think that they then complained is just unbelievable. It's something to consider trying to guard against if anyone considers taking this on next year.

Thank you one more time for all you did for us.

ThinMan

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Hey Tracy, Nice to see you post. I have never participated in a seed swap...but those people sound down right rude.

The pond sounds like an exciting project. Keep us posted with how that goes.

Sierra

• cziga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tracy, I'm so sorry to hear about the behavior of some of the participants. I thought you did a wonderful job, especially as the numbers continued to grow and grow. Thank you for running it for those years, it was a lot of fun and actually was a huge help in letting me get my garden properly started :) If I had had to buy all those plants in a nursery, I could never have afforded it all! Hope the pond project goes well! Maybe we'll be able to get a swap going again next year . . .

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

OMGoodness.. people complained!?! and no stamps!!??? The nerve!!!! Jeez.

Glad to hear from you Tracy. Ponds are fun. The 3 comet goldfish I had for 8 long years were recently sushi for the racoons...beware of the little rascels. I think they got my bullfrog as well.

• Pamela Church
    15 years ago

Tracy - Check out Harbor Freight for solar pumps. We have an outlet here, but if you don't have one nearby, they also sell online. Everything is off-brand and "Made in China", but you can get some good deals.

Sponsored