Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A few end of summer pics! Some citrus and other favorites for fun

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

I think my plants have been injected with a bit of natural good ole rain. I can't believe how well they are reacting to the weather.

I was able to take just a couple of pics with my niece here and tomorrow my nephew comes, thank goodness! Here is a few extra non citrus for fun:-)

My other variegated plant that carried over well from the winter in a smaller pot!

{{gwi:48805}}

A few jades of different kinds hard to find

{{gwi:629190}}

{{gwi:629192}}

{{gwi:629194}}

{{gwi:3219}}

{{gwi:629197}}

Some succulents!

{{gwi:3217}}

{{gwi:629199}}

{{gwi:629201}}

I will be back later with more for fun pics:-) Please post some of your favorite plants

Mike

Comments (26)

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Everything looks great MM! I see you have a Aloe pink blush with an little Jade in the pot, cute. Your Jades are looking great along with the agave. What are the 1st and 5th Jade pictures?

mary

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

very nice, rain water sure makes a difference. really like your variegated plants, now i want some, but the wife says i have too many plants already lol

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Excellent, Mike!

I'll have to get pictures of my variegates, too!

Mary, since Mike isn't back yet, let me take a stab at the names of the Jades.
    Mike will give us the correct names of course ;-) I think the Jades 1 and 5 are:
    (1) Crassula arborescens undulatifolia and (5) Crassula ovata obliqua (the green form).

Josh

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Thanks Josh! I didnt even know there was a green form of oblique. That is cool. I will have to get pics of my variegates also..:) Would love to see yours Josh.

Mary

12 years ago

I'll take some pics as soon as possible! Maybe tomorrow....

Last year, Mary, I didn't know that there was a green form of the oblique Jade either.
    Then Jademan (Doug) showed a picture of some plants he'd started from leaves. His variegated
    obliqua leaves produced all-green plants. Amazingly, the next time I was at the local nursery,
    I saw pots full of variegated and green form obliquas....so I bought the green one
    because I'd never seen it before.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello, hello friends!

Thanks a lot for looking and now it is your turn to post pictures for the fun of it!
    It doesn't have to be citrus but any other plant that you find brings you great joy.

I in particular love plants that bring the sweetest fragrance into the air and into the senses. I also LOVE rare and unique plants not easy to find anywhere.
    I will post others and can't wait to see many from our members here!
    If you are bored or looking for something fun to do, join in and picture away!

Josh: By the way, you are right about the Id's..Go figure.lol
    I think it was you that turned me onto jades and peppers and you onto citrus and usuals..Now we both have a thing for Hoya's and we haven't even posted them here yet.

Houston: Way too funny..lol Just tell her the more the merryier.lol

Hey Mary: Pictures please:-)

Everyone: Pictures please, please. I will be back with more very soon.

Mike

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Well here are a couple new finds I picked up at walmart today.

This is my new ponytail palm...it was in a plastic pot soaked to the bone in peat soil with those stupid top dressing rocks that are all glues together.

I potted it up in this bonsai pot I had and I think it looks pretty sharp now:)

{{gwi:629203}}

{{gwi:629205}}

{{gwi:629207}}

I also got this wonderful full basket of variegated peperomia for half price! Could not resist I love it.

{{gwi:629209}}

{{gwi:629211}}

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

A few of mine took today.

{{gwi:629212}}
    {{gwi:629214}}
    {{gwi:629216}}
    {{gwi:629218}}
    {{gwi:629220}}
    {{gwi:629222}}
    {{gwi:629224}}
    {{gwi:629226}}
    {{gwi:629227}}
    {{gwi:629231}}
    {{gwi:629233}}
    {{gwi:629235}}
    {{gwi:629237}}
    {{gwi:629239}}
    {{gwi:629241}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yellow:

IS THAT A CHINESE PERFUME TREE I see there? That huge one!?
    I also see you have everything Else I have only many sizes bigger!
    A Fig, Camellia,Osmanthus,Citrus,Fig loaded with fruit,Gardenia,Jasmines!,I think a Trumpet plant and many more! You and I know we have this in common! See what us northerners can accomplish!?

How old is that Perfume tree? I love it! Your Michelia Alba is huge and must smell splendid! I can only hope mine can get that big with your assistance.
    Thank you for sharing these and for stopping in. I hope you stick around since we know you have a weakness for citrus.

Mary! What a great set of plants you got there! Oh I hope they bring you much joy along with Citrusssssssss....:-)
    Love the Pony Tail Palm. Now I want one..lol

Josh and others, where are some of your fun pics?

Patty?

Mike:-)

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Yes, that's a Chinese perfume tree. Also the name Chinese rice flower. You think it's huge? I got it last year with the size of chop stick, which tripled its size under one year. It's one of the fastest growing tree ever, continuous growth flush for me. The alba is a fast grower as well. Give me over a thousand each year.

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

I don't think that's a Trumpet. That's a Dwarf Ylang Ylang. It's growing so well this year.

YT

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What the heck are you doing that I am not doing?lol

I never had a plant grow that fast! lol

Yes, I would love your help privately to keep my Alba going. I see you are using the same mix as I and that is a great start for me.

MIke:-)

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

This is another rare to find. Michelia Coco. It's growing fast. Grew from less than 10 half cut leaves into a small tree today. But only got about 8 flowers. Flowers only last less than two days. Second day with no fragrance.

{{gwi:629254}}

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

what is that in the 18th picture with the small roundish leaves? Love that one. Everything looks great!

Mike I am getting more and more excited for my first citrus everyday!

Mary

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

You probably mean the 17th, 18th is a fig tree.

The 17th is a Chinese Rice flower, it's a fast grower with very fragrant flowers. A must have.

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

I just have this hibiscus thats a bit special

{{gwi:629256}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Madferet...That is a very cute looking Hibiscus! I love how it pops a BIG flower at the end of those branches. I am glad it brings you joy.
    Hoping your grapefruit tree is doing well thus far.

Is that plant inside? Why is the window foggy, is it cold there already? Yikes

Yes Yellow. I think Mar is in love with that Rice tree! I have one too and I can not wait to see it grow as big as yours. Very nice!

Mary, we shall talk soon. We should get that tree out as soon as this dreadful heavy rain stops.

MIke

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

The window is foggy because I'd just showered :D I wasn't that cold, yet....

I like those succulents, very pretty little things those.

Regards
    Nick

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

great pictures everyone! My camera is acting up so I dont have any new ones to share. Ill work on it soon. Great news for us is the heat finally broke. We set a record low yesterday of 51 degrees and our highs are only in the mid 80's. it such a wonderful relief from the 100's we had just a week ago.

I do have one pic to share. its my colocasia thailand giant in flower. It didnt get as "giant" as I hoped but the flowers are a nice surprise. its leaves are about 30" long and about 24" across
    {{gwi:629258}}

mike

• mersiepoo
    12 years ago

Great looking citrus MM! Don't forget, they like pee too! That's how I greened my lemon up.

12 years ago

Urine is best in the compost pile.
    It is a weak, incomplete fertilizer, which provides unpredictable (pardon the pun) nutrients.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For all those that urinate on their plants, it really pisses me off!

Oh my Mercie!!lol

Don't do that for fear you might get caught with your pants down.

I have a couple of things you can do easier than that.

Just do an Indian dance for rain every other day since rains pH is perfect and they will do fine. It has worked for me. Now I can't get it to stop raining..lol
    You should see how nice and green mine are now.

Josh is right Merciepoo:-)
    Or, I should of told you that a long time ago that vinegar used correctly can enrich the color of your trees so much. You remember when mine use to be yellow? Using a capful of vinegar in my water has kept them a rich green for years. It naturally lowers the pH solution being applied to your acid loving plants and plants, well you can appreciate this, especially GARDENIA react very well to it.

Mike

• jaybird3316
    12 years ago

ok, totally jealous on the fig plant! I grow those as well to some moderate success.

Those are some great potted plants and trees!

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

{{gwi:629260}}
    N33 navel

{{gwi:629262}}
    Cara Cara pink navel

{{gwi:629263}}
    noid tangerine and Meyer lemon

{{gwi:629264}}
    Blood Moro

{{gwi:629265}}
    mangos

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

orchid spiking
    {{gwi:196405}}

Angel Red Pomegranate bloom
    {{gwi:629267}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jay: So was I ..lol I have figs that have yet to ripen and not half as many as that! It must be the limited sun I get and I am sick of it now !lol

I did taste one at my friends home who grew one as big as a pear in full all day sun, and boy was it SWEET!

Houston: WOWOW..I do have a soft spot for Magos! I hope some day to get one myself too. They look so nice.
    Nice looking trees too. They held up well over summer!

I never saw a Red Pamegrante before. I just love the color and the shape. Wonderful growing! Thank You