Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Are spidrmites resistant to humidity now?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

Here is why I ask.....

Look at what this poor person is dealing with with extra humidity....

Posted by greenhouzer Zone 6 TN (My Page) on ue, Oct 7, 08 at 13:25

"I have 3 heaters in the Rion. Two are on thermostats and one is only for really bitter cold nights and as a backup if one of the others die. Even with 3 running and the 6 fans... the humidity remained high. On warm days I would open the doors and even that didn't help much. I never got rid of the spider mites. They spread like wildfire once the plants went outdoors and wiped out most of my peppers and tomatoes and did severe damage to the eggplants. We did managed to freeze some peppers and get enough tomatoes to can for winter. I would say 95% of the peppers were wiped out and the tomato crop reduced by at least 50%. All the squash were killed by both whitefly and the mites. This past summer was a disaster'.

AND LOOK!!!

Posted by greenhouzer TN zone 6 (My Page) on

Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 8:49

Rose: Last winter the humdity in my Rion was way out of control and several plants became diseased. Ventiliation wasn't great because we can't cafford to heat the great outdoors. This winter our electic is going up 20% so I wont be using the smaller HFGH until spring. I'll use it as a seedling/cutting GH. I gave away many plants on Freecycle this summer. I got rid of those especially liked by spider mites. This fall I already have a white-fly invasion in the GH. :-(

HERE'S MY QUESTION

Everyone says that spidermites hate humidity right???

Then HOW can this poor person be having so many of them if the humidity is so high. She should be mite free right? I am begining to think that spidermites have become resistant to humidty and now the only thing that can rid them is cold temps...Like freezing ones!!!

SNOW......I had high humidity in room all winter, and yet I was loaded with pests!

So whether or not we have humidity or not based on your experience, we are still going to get them.....:-(

I am gegining to think misting does nothing for them either. If anything it only gives them a drink and a bath and they sit out and tan under my grow lights.

I hope keeping my room cold will be the anwers this winter along with toni's insect spray!! lol

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

I'm afraid you've been misled if you think that spider mite management is that cut and dried. There are many species of plant sucking mites, and they can be found thriving in just about all kinds of climates. There are many that do thrive in hot and dry conditions, multiplying like crazy. That is partially due to the fact that natural predators aren't so active under those kinds of conditions. They also feed more prolifically when it's dry. But there are other spider mite species that love cool, moist conditions.

However, even those that love the heat can (and do) live high on the town in humid conditions. Misting really does nothing to get rid of spider mites, just as it does very little to raise the humidity for your plants.

Over the winter, keep a close watch on the underside of the leaves of your plants for these little devils. You should also take some profylactic precautions by applying a horticultural oil once in a while (smothers eggs as well as adults), or alcohol (not at the same time). Be sure to direct your applications to the underside of the leaves, as well as down the stems, etc.

• aesir22
    15 years ago

I have heard it is a combination of misting and moving air (a fan) that can HELP (certainly not eradicate) the presence of mite. Horticultural oil is a good idea, or if you scroll through the posts you will find a home-made repellent and treatment from another member that others say is quite good.

As for misting...well, it's a common debate, some for and some against lol. I mist mine 4 times a day and the leaves still have moisture on them an hour or more later. All of my citrus are in a small room, so I believe the added water helps the humidity in the air. Some will agree, some will disagree, that is just an opinion :)

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

No ever said, to my knowledge that spider mites hate humidity.
    If that was the case we would have none here in Fl, but we do. What they do not like is water and lots of air movement (one of the reasons they live on the undersides of the leaves, so when it rains, they dont get wet, the rain would ruin the webbing). I keep mine spider mite population down in the garden by hosing the underneath of leaves every so often.
    Another good thing to use outdoors or in greenhouses is lady bugs and/or lacewings. They eat LOADS of mites, both adults and larvae.
    When I lived up north I used to take plants into the shower once a month or so and use the shower head to hit the underneath of leaves. Prevention is a good thing, better then having to spray alot with pesticides.
    Good luck

15 years ago

Be mindful of all that misting, aesir22. You'll reduce transpiration enormously, which is an essential plant process....tied into respiration and photosynthesis. Rather than keeping the leaves wet all the time, it might be best to invest in a small humidifier and/or indoor fountains. Add that fan to the mix, and you've got a good thing going!

• starloc
    15 years ago

For spidermites i use malathion every now and then, kills them no problems, works on scale as well

15 years ago

Malathion must never be used inside under any condition. As a possible carcinogen and a dangerous cholinesterase inhibitor, it should not be used around: anyone with a liver function disease, those taking medications that may affect the liver (just about everything), children, nursing mothers, pregnant women, men and women trying to get pregnant, pets of all kinds, the elderly, those who may party a bit too much or too often, and those who may have been exposed to household chemicals or other inhibitors within the previous few days of malathion use.

Malathion is absorbed through the skin and lungs very readily. If you can smell it, you are inhaling it.

• starloc
    15 years ago

I work every day with things worse than malathion manufacturing industrial adhesives, so i just presume anyone would read the label before using it as with any chemical, used according to the data sheet/bottle there should be no health hazzard

(thinking about it most people may not read the warning information)
    I work with many chemicals and obviously i am exposed to them in small amounts, i have sprayed malathion with no mask and had no problems that could be brought on by previous chemical exposure

I do however normaly use a mask, and spray outside, then let it dry and take it back in the house , i dont have any problems with it, but i do keep the animals away for a couple of weeks, and only every now and again do i spray it if there is a real problem

Often i just use neem oil but i find sometimes pesticides such as malathion,systhane, dipel etc are necessary

• bradarmi
    15 years ago

I have to disagree with the idea that misting does nothing. I have a beautiful parlor palm (over 15 years) that I recentlty moved to our office. I misted it ever morning M-F and it was as big as it ever got. I went to a conference and came back (one week) and it was infested with spider mites (I have misted it almost every day for years, and never had a problem). After leaving outside at night with cool temps and rain and wind, the spider mites are all but gone. Also, leaving it in a humid shower the over night (certain plants can have wet leaves over night)and putting it outside for a few hours in the windy city (Chicago) seemed to cure it. Now my fiancee has it and she has wood floors - so no misting, but it is in a cool room, so no problems yet. Every week I take a shower with it (well I get out and put it in) lol and it seems to work.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Starlock, please be careful using harsh chemicals.
    Some chemicals cause instant reaction, others take years before symptoms are noted.
    Take smoking for instance..Ppl who smoke don't suddenly develop cancer..it takes yrs before/if it happens. 3 relatives were smokers, quit years ago..2 died of lung cancer the past 2 yrs. My grandmother died several yrs ago.

Think of the number of products used daily, including FDA inspected and approved medications they recently discovered after a few yrs of use, causes heart conditions, stroke and coma. So, please be careful.
    Also, we're talking edibles. I don't know if you eat fruit off your citrus, but to think of poisons sprayed, then devoured, gives me goose bumps..lol..sorry, but please use with caution. Most if not all chemical insecticides advise wearing a mask and gloves, and sprayed outdoors. Think of your pets..I stopped using plug in air fresheners worried my pets would be harmed..
    I have over 300 plants, closer to 400. They are pest free. I never use chemicals, including leaf shine. Don't think I'm boasting, there's nothing to brag about. My point is, the more plants, the better chance of acquiring pests. I spray with around-the-house products, all natural. No harm to people, pets or plants.

Brad, I agree 100%. Insects detest water. As Orchidguy pointed out, mites reside under leaves. Therefore, when rain falls, their little, webby homes won't be flooded and distroyed. Terrific view, Orchidguy.
    As you said, once you stopped misting, mites attacked. Great analysis.

So Mike, spidermites aren't resistant to humidity. The problem is, lack of fresh, circulating air. We can live in a home with 100% humidity, that alone will not deter mites. One reason I suggest running a rotating fan a few hours per day, and/or if the temps are tolerable, crack open a window. (if temps are freezing, plants need to be moved out of any icy draft.) or stick with the fan.

Daily misting, weekly showering or hosing in a sink, spraying once every 3 wks with 2-3 drops of dish soap, keeping THE surrounding area clean, including dropped foliage, especially inside pots, and removing yellow/brown/dead leaves from plant will, at the most keep mites away. Most insects, not only mites.
    Large leaf plants should be washed with cloth, mainly to remove dust particles..Soapy water, then a clean rinse following. Dust clogs pores.

Let's face it, there is work involved keeping plants looking their best. Unattended plants usually end up buggy and/or dead.
    I'm not saying we have to halt our lives taking care of plants. But spending 1-2 hours per wk, (for people with approximately 100 plants) is about right.

Good luck to all, and to all a good-night..lol..Toni
    It is 1:58am here in IL..Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

TONI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HI!!!!!!!!!!
    I missed you!!!
    What the heck.......I was starting to wonder if you had died of frostbite moving your plants indoors all night on a frosty one!!...How long does it take you...all night!!!lol
    You were missed!!! I never saw that post you responded too. I am all over this forum, I forget sometimes where I posted a question...lol
    Thanks for the tip on mites. Mite free so far!!
    Right now I have ALL..count them, 30 or more in my room.
    I have all my windows still open up there, and at night I just pull the blinds down to stop it from getting to cold in there.
    I have all my grow lites on.........BUT do not know how long to keep them on for since that room is so cool now....How long is good to keep them on? I have all my plants in south facing windows. The sun spends about 4 ho-5 hours going across from one side of the room to the other. The sun starts shining in the room at about 800 until about 1. So I put my lites on at 700 am till 7 at night. Is this good? Is this too much lite for the temps I am keeping the room at. I am keeping the room alot colder than last year. I ahve heard not to...That alot of lite is only good for warm growing conditions?? The room is in the 50's at night and 60's by day. Colder at day if the sun doesn't come out. I refuse to put the heat on...hate that dry heat!!
    I am going out to by the hot pepper stuff. I bought polmolive with citrus... And garlic.......Getting there...
    I am going to start spraying asap...bugs or no bugs!!
    hey maybe I will take a shower with my plants too...LOL

As for leaves falling off!!! My olive plant is dropping leaves ...green..always does when bringing indoors...
    The only other plant dropping leaves is my Gardenias....some leaves are turining yellow. Probably lack of FULL all day sun now. Guess keeping them alive and healthy is the key now,,,,not making them actively grow..right?
    Toni....NO BUGS YET!!!!!!!!!
    That is without spraying yet....Probably because I havn't turned the heat on, I have an overhead fan circulating 24 hours a day, and its cold in the room!!! At least by night!!
    Toni, what's up with all these people with using chemicals if what your saying works...?
    Spraying with an easy to make natural and safe spray. I will do this and let you know by this winter if I am having sucess....
    It is good to see your ok....and didn't have health problems due to chemical spraying!!! lol
    Keep helping us out ..ok
    Everything you say is so appreciated, I am sure by all of us!
    Take care and keep in touch. I hope you got this reply!!
    Take care everyone for now. Wish those warm sunny summer days were still here....
    What the heck, now we can enjoy hot chocolate next to a fireplace on a nice snowy day soon!! I will be snowboarding soon again!!
    Today is the coldest day of the year since summer. 40's..that's it with winds blowing at 30-50 miles an
    hour!!!! Depressing.

Stay healthy and warm !!!

Mike