Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Beautiful Beetle

Annie
14 years ago

This is an Asian Longhorn Beetle.

{{gwi:626640}}

Isn't she beautiful?

Notice the red ant on the tree behind her? I didn't see the ant until I downloaded the photos and looked at them. It looks like that ant is after the beetle. Maybe the beetle was disturbing the ant's nest.

Willows are among the host trees that these beetles frequent. Here in Oklahoma they also frequent Catalpa trees. This one was discovered by my cat, Binx while he was getting a drink out of the water bucket I keep for the cats and chickens under the willow tree. I saw he was intrigued with something, so I went down there to investigate and found this beautiful beetle. I ran inside, grabbed my camera and got quite a few good pictures while I observed her behavior.

It is the first time I have ever found them in and near the willow. They are usually in the back yard in the Catalpa tree.

There were two - a female and a male. I believe this was the female. The male is smaller. He ran away, scurrying up the willow tree when I showed up. The female kept on digging and digging. She was apparently making a nest to lay her eggs.

They can give you a nasty bite with those big pincers, so believe me, I was cautious.

When Binx finished getting his drink, he came around the tree to where I was and accidentally stepped on the beetle. He jumped a foot and she took off like greased lightening up the tree. She was so fast that I found it extremely difficult to get a good shot of her before she disappeared into the canopy far above.

I love studying Nature.

~Annie

Comments (7)

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention....
    They are a major threat to the deforestation in N. America.

Now I have to find them and kill them before them multiply.
    If you see these beautiful beetles ANYWHERE, kill them!
    Insecticide may not work. Squishing works great.

~Annie

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Lordy, Annie. Glad you posted that second one...my immediate thought was to get rid of it! We certainly don't need anymore Asian beetles..........I am fighting a loosing battle with Japanese Beetles this year.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Annie, that is a beautiful shot of that beetle. Now go squish it! LOL!

Worcester, MA is getting hit really hard by them. I'm hoping they won't find their way across the border into NH. Sigh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worcester, MA beetle infestation

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The first time I saw them here in Oklahoma, I was about 17 yrs old. I'm 57, so they have been here quite a while.
    They were in my parent's Catalpa tree. They defoliated it every year, but it lived a long time and bloomed beautifully every spring. The tree was planted in 1960, and didn't die until about four years ago. It grew to be an enormous tree.

These beetles make a loud croaking /grinding sound if you disturb them. I picked one up one time to get a better look at it and it pinched the heck fire out of me! I liked to not got him loose of my finger!

Last year they partially defoliated one of my Catalpa trees, and then they disappeared. I believe the two young geese I had then may have eaten them. I never saw the beetles again except that one day. There has been n sign of the beetles on them this year and no defoliation.

I haven't seen these particular two beetles since I took the photos. I am on the look-out though.

Thank you for the LINK to that article "thyme2dig".

I've read from several sources that Mimosa and willows are among their favorite host trees. About three years ago, I lost both of my huge Mimosa trees that I grew from seeds. I bet that is what killed them. They died a horrible death. Imagine a tree bleeding to death slowly. It smelled sickeningly sweet - awful. Something had hatched inside the tree trunk and limbs and the pink sap oozed out where they bored their way out. I loved those trees. So beautiful. They grew fast and provided filtered shade in both locations. They gave the yard a tropical look - similar to a Jacqueranda tree. I had all my tropical plants growing under them from spring through fall. I loved their pinnate leaves and in May, their fluffy, fragrant pink flowers. Darned bugs, anyhow.

~Annie

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This morning, Little Brother Cat was drinking out of that same bucket by the willow tree and spied one of those beetles - so did I! It was at the base of the tree, so I stomped on it, smashing it against the tree. I hardly dented it. So, I stomped on it again and it sank into the soil without a scratch! What the heck? I must have stomped on the beetle a dozen times before I was able to kill it. Even then I was not completely sure it was dead enough as not to lay its eggs!

About half an hour ago I spied more beetles. I got my trusty shovel this time. I killed five beetles this time.
    Four were at the base of the tree. The other one left the four and ran up in the tree (John, Paul, Ringo and George and the 5th one the left - I can't recall his name). I sprayed it for five minutes and finally was able to dislodge it from the limb. I got the shovel again and chopped it with the shovel too. At first, I tried stomping them - it didn't work! Even the shovel slide off their backs twice with no apparent damage done. It took three to four chops to kill them. What the he** are they made of, for gosh sakes!?! Scientists need to make a synthetic of their exoskeleton and used it for making airplanes and automobiles bodies and parts!

Maybe they are not Asian beetles - maybe they are actually Alien beetles. Even pesticide doesn't kill them.
    Yimminies!

~Annie

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

The first one I saw was in the late 80's. It was in a poplar tree.
    Fortunately I have not seen one in years.

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

I hope I NEVER see one. I live in fear of them. I would lose my woods and maples and other hardwood beauties if they came here. I'm glad you are killing every one you see. Perhaps you need a sledgehammer for these guys.

Sponsored