Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anddoggies2

meyer lemon fruit splitting

anddoggies2
10 years ago

I brought my tree indoors the second week of October. Since then I've been working on getting the watering schedule right so I'm thinking that might have something to do with the fruit splitting. Most of the smaller lemons have split so I've cut them off. There is one larger lemon obviously ripening - starting to show quite a lot of yellow. There's one a bit smaller just starting to show a hint of yellow. And one last of the smaller fruits which I'm expecting to split any day now just because of what's happened to others its size.

The tree is on a table so that the greenery is in front of a window, but there are also two 24" double t5 light fixtures hanging just inches above the top branches. There is a forced hot air duct below the table with enough space between table & wall to allow heat to the tree.

The tree is in a large plastic saucer that's 4" larger in diameter than the pot. The pot sits on stones and I make sure there is always a little water in the saucer. Forced hot air really dries things out, so I'm very careful about keeping up the moisture available to the tree's environment.

Because the tree isn't outside getting blasted by the sun any more I've cut back on how often I water. I'm trying to stay on a twice a week watering schedule and I measure how much water I use so if I have to adjust I know what's what. Everything went fine for the first 3 weeks then the fruit started splitting.

So am I watering too much (as in split tomatoes)? Am I letting it get too dry between waterings? Do I need to increase frequency & reduce amount of water? Or is this just a natural phenomenon related to moving indoors?

BTW I am getting leaf drop but I've read enough here that I'm not panicking ... yet.

Thanks-
Becky

Comments (2)