Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

My New Years Resolution for the garden...

A day or two ago I was uploading pictures of my garden from 2009 (just got a new computer and can upload directly from my camera now without problems, yay!).

I noticed that things looked a little ragged. That's not to say it was terribly unsightly, but just a little rough around the edges in comparison to the previous year. Last year I was a little down about some things and just didn't get around to weeding, pruning, deadheading, etc as often as I should have. This year I resolve to keep things in tip-top shape, as best as I can.

I also resolve to get around to those projects I avoid (I HATE doing woodworking related projects, lol!) all year. I am going to make that arbor and picket fence out front if it kills me! AND put up that privacy trellis!

Did you make any garden resolutions for 2010? What are they, and do you think you will be able to keep them?

CMK

Comments (15)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

CMK, I've been putting off dividing monster daylilies for a few years now. THIS year I'm going to do it!! That's about the only thing I'll commit to though!! Although, I know I can always commit to many visits to nurseries!! LOL!!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

Great thread! I have a few myself...
    1- get bones of the garden established
    2- really take care of my tools, im always misplacing things and leaving the hose out. Who cares , really? But i have ended up buying extra tools and then finding the orphans in random places
    3- avoid using chemicals unless organic
    4- share plants with neighbors
    5- paint fence, as daunting as it will be
    6- clean up along driveway and plant shrubs. this area has become my garden of shame. Things die here, because i forget about them. weeds go crazy. enough!
    7- compost! I got a composter for christmas, i want to be diligent about making my soil a better home for wormies! lol

Lets keep going here! Id like to hear more resolutions!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

-Susan, great resolution! This year I have resolved to just go ahead and order some of those special items I can not get somewhere local. Sometimes it gets a little much roaming all over the place and not finding exactly what you want. I hear you about dividing plants, that is always a chore for me if the plants are big and I have no help. Last year I was dreading taking out a nearly 20ft. row of Iris (used as a boarder to the path), but it had to be done. They looked horrid come summer, what with the browning foliage. Lol, then it looked even worse once they were cut down- stubs! I replaced them with stones, and am so glad I did! Wish I had done it sooner...

-lilyfinch, I have also been working my way to organic. I have been using commercial organic products for the last year or two. Next thing to work up to is doing homemade organic products.
    Love hearing your resolutions!
    CMK

• totallyconfused
    14 years ago

I want to get the two existing beds in my backyard taken care of. One has been neglected for several years and the self-seeding columbines have just about taken over. It's beautiful when they are in bloom, but after there isn't much in the way of color. I really need to fix that.
    The second bed back there is a mess because I ended up sticking stuff in haphazardly just to get it planted when I ran out of time last spring.

We had the front yard relandscaped in the fall and it really puts the bed by the mailbox to shame. I've been wanting to work on that area for several years now, but this year, I think I'm going to have to actually do it.

There are several other beds that could stand to be reworked and atleast one new one I would like to establish, but I think I'll leave those for another year.

Totally Confused

• token28001
    14 years ago

Sow as many seeds as I can get my hands on so that next year, I can just sit back and enjoy the gardens. I also vow NOT to cut down everything that fades in August so I can have some winter interest besides brown mums and green growth on red clover.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

For me it is the exact opposite of token. ;) I tend to start too many things and then run out of room to put them or don't have the time to take care of them. Of course I have been in my current home for over 13 years now and I have planted fast and furiously over the course of those years.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I resolve to get rid of the weeds in the flower beds this year, including the bermuda grass!!! Can't say I'll actually get that one done. lol

Work, work, work. No wasting time this year. My garden needs my attention terribly. Last year I had so many different family problems, I'm already behind (and still can't do anything due to some medical issue, but will soon be able to go full force). I think I'll keep this one as I'm embarrassed of my garden, but it couldn't have been helped.

Take more pictures. I always think there's something not quite right, so I don't take any pictures. The only pictures I have are right after a project is done, and the plantings look so pitiful. I'm determined to actually take pictures of my garden this year. It will be a great reference guide.

I wanted to start a gardening journal, but am not sure exactly how to organize it, so I'm not sure I'll do this, but am still thinking about it, so I'll probably start journaling in some way just to get started.

One more maybe resolution: start a vegetable garden. I have been saying for about three years now that I'm going to do this, and I think maybe this year I really will! (We'll see.)

Great post. Made me really think about what my garden needs as well as what I want.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Holley, I photograph everything, not just the pretty stuff. I tend to keep the ugly photos for my own reference. It's great to look back on during the winter and spring planting to remember what worked and what didn't.

For a journal, I use blogger. You can make it private. I keep track of the weather, my plantings, sowing, etc. It helps me be able to go back and find when we had a frost, rain, etc.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Thyme- Great resolution! Can I use that too? I want to visit a lot of nurseries :)

Actually, I have to get a lot of smaller beds dug out and prepared this spring. I wish I had the space for one big bed, but I have to work around a lot of access areas. It means things are spread out more, but I'll end up with lots of little seating areas. Every garden area has to have at least a bench, right?

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

Token - thanks for the tips. It does seem helpful to have records of things, good and bad. :)

Lavender Lass - Yes, I do think that every garden area needs a bench. I sit on benches around my garden areas and think, ponder, admire and dream. And visitors often sit on the benches to watch the butterflies and hummingbirds, and hopefully to admire some of the plantings.

• Mickie Marquis
    14 years ago

I intend to stimulate the economy every chance I get!

I travel a LOT in March-June and September-October, so I have special challenges keeping up on everything. My biggest headache is earwigs and thrips. Being organic against those takes restraint, patience and diligence. You have to stay ahead of them. So that is my #1 resolution- stay on top of those horrid things.

I have several garden tours scheduled so that should help. I take a lot of photos, too. It's aggravating to take a picture of something beautiful and have something that needs deadheaded, etc in the photo.

Good thread, CMK! I think I'll post this at my backdoor - "How many earwigs did you kill today?"!

• quilt_mommy
    14 years ago

This is a good thread. :) Maybe it will help me keep myself accountable.

I am with Holly up there, I need to stay on top of weeding this year. I kept up with the weeds really well up until school started in fall. I was VP of my oldest daughter's PTO as well, a duty I have since had to step away from, so I literally had zero time and kind of let it go to pot. I've got a lot of grass and weeds to dig up this spring. :) But I really love my garden and want others to enjoy it as well...as opposed to cringing from four foot high dandelions.

• koszta_kid
    14 years ago

Not to make my flower-beds a second job. I'm dividing lot of plants. I know a lady in Cedar Rapids just now geting back into her house. Floods in 08---- 20 feets over flood stage. Giving her many plants-ones she wants. And Dh works at local animal shelter. They are raising $$ for new shelter. Will take plants to their garage sale this spring.

• irene_dsc
    14 years ago

The biggest is probably to make the front finally be a priority and get that done! Of course, after I decided that, dh and I started drawing up a potential addition to get me my mudroom/larger front entry plus a walkin closet and sitting area for our master - by blowing out the front of the house, of course! However, I doubt we'll be able to afford it for a few years, so I am going ahead with the front garden plan anyhow.

• scarlettseraph
    14 years ago

I am currently living in a house that I'm not sure I will be living in for more than another year and a half. I am renting, but will decide to buy or not this Fall. If I do, then I know I'll be here and I can really dig in. But for now my goals are:

-Clean up all the mess and neglect left by the people who owned the house prior (trimming trees, cleaning up beds and trash, getting the giant bamboo and rampant invasive vines in check)

-Get the grass looking decent in the front yard and find a nice groundcover plant for the back yard

-My main goal is veggie gardening, I have built a square foot bed and some self watering buckets for growing... I want to do my best at all that

-Plant some containers and get my back porch looking fabulous, make my living wreaths I've been wanting to work on :)

I have a decent amount that I can do despite not being sure about staying. I figure, some things will leave this a better place after me if I go, other things I've designed to take with me should I need to leave.