Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katlynn719

Oscie Whatley Article

katlynn719
16 years ago

This evening I was looking online for some information about a daylily called PINK FANFARE. I came across an article about the hybridizer, Oscie Whatley, that I found interesting. It has some great photographs that I thought some of you might enjoy. I'll provide the link below.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Oscie Whatley Article

Comments (13)

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

Kathy, what a great article. I only grow a few Whatley cultivars (Ram and Polar Ice), but I added six more to my wish list from the article: Call of Uniqueness, Deliberate Pace, Rose Impact, Tippecanoe, Greek Effect and Buttercream.

Now I'm off to see where I can find them . . .

Chris

• opnjmprs
    16 years ago

Chris, I know Marietta Gardens has Rose Impact. The Shooter's might have the other ones you are interested in as well. John has told me that they do not list everything they have. So it might be worth a try to email them and ask. The only Whatley CV I grow is Bear Claws.

Linda

• Ed
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing this article. I always enjoy reading articles about or by Oscie. I wish I had been able to meet and get to know him.
    Ed

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

Linda, thanks for pointing me toward Marietta. I did check their price list, but holy cow! They have Deliberate Pace listed at $250. Call of Uniqueness is pricey, too. They did have a couple I'd like at good prices, and I found one at Singing Oakes (love that place). I think a couple of them may have to wait a while.

Ed, I agree -- it would have been great to meet such a colorful and honest man.

• lynxe
    16 years ago

Good article. I think I've seen it before, but it's always nice to reread the interesting daylily stuff. I have only a few of his daylilies - RAM, BUTTER CREAM, PARABOLA. Can you tell I like yellows? :) At some point, I'd like to get more of his plants, especially some pink ones.

• opnjmprs
    16 years ago

I think that PINK ABERRATION will be the next Whatley CV added to my garden.....yummmmmy. :-)

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Thanks Kathy, I too, enjoyed the article. The only Whatley cv I have is Khorassan.
    Since there wasn't a photo of it in the article, here's one from my garden last season.
    {{gwi:656818}}
    Jan

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing that great article, I really enjoyed it. I planted his 'Mexican Art' last summer, so I hope it blooms this year. I've coveted his 'Maple Hues,' and I'd really like to get 'Rose Impact.' Such fine flowers, I could never choose a single favorite from that article.

Laurel

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing this article. I really enjoy reading about the transition of dl over the years and about the incredible people who contributed to each transformation.

• gonegardening
    16 years ago

I hadn't really thought about how many Whatley daylilies I had until now. It turns out I have five! (Who knew!) They are Candor, Fire Burst, Ram, Strung Out and Volver.

I remember (anyone else?) not that long ago when a lot of daylilies from Mr. Whatley's garden were listed on the LA...I thought about a couple of them, but wasn't quick enough.

Good luck on that Buttercream, Chris! (hehe...just kidding with you...it seems to be very hard to get and very expensive...every now and then I see a fan pop up on the LA)...If you really want it, I think you might be able to get a fan from Rick Yost (for a pretty penny). I have a few seedlings with Buttercream as a parent...I have my fingers and toes crossed!

I showed you guys one from last summer that had Bear Claws as a parent and was very large...I am hopeful this summer it will really shine, but who knows.

Thanks, Kathy, for the link. I'm sure he (the author) probably linked to it on the Robin and it was one of those things I meant to go read but didn't. Thanks to you, I did!

BTw, the link below shows the Bear Claws seedling...it's the second one down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Red with Bear Claws as the pollen parent

• lynxe
    16 years ago

I couldn't find the BEAR CLAWS seedling on your web site. Would love to see it.

How embarrassing is this? Your post reminded me that I also have BEAR CLAWS. How on earth could I have forgotten about that one?????

• gonegardening
    16 years ago

Hi Lynxe: Hmmm, the link works for me...and it's the second one pictured, the red one....I suppose you could also find it by going to the Seedlings label on the right side...it's the first post to come up, dated June 25, 2007...same thing, second photo down...

I should have around nine seedlings to bloom next year from this cross...I hope...I think four bloomed this past year, but I liked the big red one the best...so far...

Anyway, sorry you couldn't find it. Try again!

• lynxe
    16 years ago

Got it! And -- apparently -- had it the first time.:))) I was reading too quickly....thought the legend to the first seedling referred to the red one. Love the size of that seedling.... That thing is huge! I wonder what BEAR CLAWS would produce if paired with something like Linda Agin's RED FRIDAY?