Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marynj_gw

Help for old jade plant

marynj
17 years ago

I have an old jade plant (tree?) that I bought about ten years ago. The guy who sold it to me told me to water it about every ten to 14 days, which I've been doing. For the past several years, the branches have been sagging lower and lower and it's dropping a lot of leaves. A few of the smaller branches have shriveled up and fallen off, too. I'm afraid to overwater it, because I lost a few succulents by overwatering before (root rot).

The jade has a trunk about 3" thick and the whole plant is about 3' wide/tall. The pot is ceramic and about 16" wide by 16" deep. It's sitting next to a window facing east (not overly bright). I've never changed the dirt since I've had it and don't know how to change it without the risk of killing the plant. The whole thing is very heavy and I can't lift it by myself.

When I water it (with about a half-gallon of water, occasionally mixed with succulent food), a lot of the water goes right through the dirt and out the bottom of the pot. It has never bloomed for me.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mary

Comments (10)

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Hi Mary,
    I just wanted to chime in. I'm NO EXPERT AT ALL. But I had a similar problem with my inherited jade. When I got it the trunks were completely hanging over the side of the pot...which is 18" in diameter. I just withheld water from it for a few months, and stood the trunks up on those bamboo plant stakes until they were able to stand on their own. Again, I'm no expert....I'm just talking from experience, and it worked for me. I also recently had to cut my jade back...once the trunks were standing, many branches were dangly and hanging (but not shriveled...they were healthy), so thanks to all the great advice on this forum, I cut those branches off. I'll attach (or try to!) the link for my thread if you want to see before and after pics of my pruning.

My plant also faces an East window. I have no choice...all my windows are on that side of the apt. We both definitely have the misfortune of not enough sun, which I'm sure contributes to the problem. Do you water every 10-14 days throughout the cold months too? I only water every 1-2 months in winter.
    Good luck,
    Gabi

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade Plant

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

Gabi I don't believe we have any experts here, just people who whant to help each other. Even the people I work with don't claim to be experts. I think you do very well for claiming to be a beginner.
    Water as little as you can during NY winter months. It's okay if the leaves shrivel, that is natures way of pruning when they drop them. My Liquid Umber is dropping leaves now, and so are the Sycamore we have had winds 75+ many trees have gone down. Norma
    This plant hold plenty of water in the trunk, branches and leaves. Is your home very dry, low humidity? That will make the difference. If so you may need to give it some water once a month, and from the bottom, which would be the best, watch for mealies. This time of the year, they are just starting to show up, warm heat and moisture will bring them, and any new plants should be put into a different room for two weeks quarantine. Or just give the new additions a 50-50 spray of Alcohol including the roots, I have been reading several SOS from very experienced growers this past week.

• User
    17 years ago

Mary (the poster) said she hadn't changed this mix in the 10 yrs. since she's had the plant. Couldn't that largely be the problem? Esp. if the mix has hardened off to the point where the water's not penetrating the rootball, rather running off down the innner sides of the pot. Couldn't that somewhat explain the shriveling leaves?

Also, I'd hold off on that fertilizer for a while, 'til the plant's in better shape.

What do you think of these ideas pls. Norma?

• borrego
    17 years ago

I think Pirate Girl is on the right track. Maybe Mary could invite a friend or two over and have a repotting party. A bag of soil, a little pumice or perlite amd some lunch might do the trick.
    Plants in good health in that part of the country, grown indoors, have difficulty flowering.
    Just my .02 worth.

• fred_grow
    17 years ago

I would consider even a 3 foot tall jade to be overpotted in a 16 x 16 inch container. Jade plants just cannot be watered on schedule. I would repot the jade in a smaller container with fresh soil, stop fertilizing and cut way back on the watering this winter. Try to give it more sun.

• marynj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gabi---I did get the link and it was very helpful. I hadn't even thought of pruning my jade (I was so afraid of killing it)! I'm going to try it this weekend. The plant seems kind of top-heavy, and I'm afraid it might the whole thing might topple over if I don't prune it.

Our house is pretty dry. The thermostat is always set at 70 degrees. But there is a slight draft coming in the window where the jade is sitting, if that has any effect on it.

I suspected the soil had lost most of its nutrients after ten years. I'm glad to hear it's not pot-bound, anyway! I'll ask my DH to help me repot it in a smaller container with some fresh soil.

Maybe I'll prune it first and then repot it in a few weeks, so it doesn't cause the plant too much stress.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

Mary

• User
    17 years ago

I'd suggest you prune & repot at the same time so you can check the roots & trim off any dead or dying roots at that time.

At this point, (if it were me) I'd be more concerned abt the repotting than the pruning, I suspect your plant is not able to take up water due to this very old (& likely hardened off rootball) at this point.

• marynj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, we'll work on it this weekend.

Thank you for your help!

Happy New Year!

Mary

• Denise
    17 years ago

Mary,

...I'll add to stop fertilizing. Jades don't need much, and you certainly don't want to give them any this time of year because encouraging growth during the winter months will result in puney growth that wants to drape as you describe. Pruning is an excellent idea. I go for the thick trunk and small ball of foliage look myself. When I get done pruning one of mine, there's often no leaves left on the plant - only branches. In a year, the plant looks good and in two it looks fabulous. Very bonsai. Good luck with your Jade!

Denise in Omaha

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    17 years ago

I not an expert either. I agree with everyone else about the plant needing to be repotted. Cut back on the water, and the ferts. I also wanted to add that you do not need to be afraid of pruning a jade. They can handle it. mine was not as big as your's, but I really pruned it, and it's growing fine!

Before:
    {{gwi:109756}}
    After:
    {{gwi:109757}}
    I removed the two large leaves after I took the picture.
    2 month's growth:
    {{gwi:109758}}
    7 month's growth:
    {{gwi:109759}}
    As you can see, they can take a lot of pruning!