Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanette1982

Unusual behaviour of japanese beetles on blue spruce

Lanette1982
9 years ago

I am new to this website. Sometimes, I find good info. I decided to post this online because maybe, some of you experienced similar problem with infestation. I contacted a couple of entomologists but some of them were unable to help me; and I am still waiting for response from other professionals. I do NOT want to kill any birds or other mammals and beneficial insects. Timing is significant to me. So, your recommendation and/or experience will be highly appreciated.
On 06/28/2014, approx. at 12 p.m., I've noticed a lot of Japanese beetles on my blue spruce. My blue spruce is small, approx. 4 feet.

The strange thing is: Japanese beetles were only on the Western side of blue spruce; they were mating and did not pay any attention to me. So, I took Sevin spray (freshly made; contains carbaryl), and sprayed directly on JB. They did not stop to mate, so I sprayed 3 times and they still were mating. So, I easily pick them up and put in a basket with soapy water (Notice: JB did NOT fly away and it was easy to collect them; it was looking like JB were "glued" to the Western side of blue spruce. ). Notice: they feed/ mate from 12 p.m. to 3.30 p.m. on my apple trees and spruce.

I checked blue spruce, and I did not find any traps for JB. We also NEVER placed any traps/baits for JB and I do NOT want to place them. I read that JB are attracted to sweet smells such as roses, and other flowers. Our plants are rhodies, pines, spruces, yews, azaleas, boxwood, and junipers because we have highly acidic soil. We do NOT have any flowers in our garden. However, we have 2 apple trees (I changed soil PH only around apple trees, boxwood, and junipers). Both apple trees are severely attacked by Japanese beetles (from top to bottom and all sides; I used Sevin on apple trees in the evening but it does not help too much). I got an opinion, that JB eat leaves on apple trees, and after that they are flying to mate only on Western part of blue spruce. Notice: apple trees are growing in different bed than blue spruce. I did NOT see JB on any pine, junipers, or rhodies.

I hope I am wrong but it looks like someone sprayed our blue spruce with pheromone that attracts JB, and that spray was pretty expensive. So, it was sprayed only on Western part of spruce.

So, if JB are attracted by sweet smell of flowers and female sex pheromone then I should use a different smell which can dissolve/remove sex pheromone.

I was thinking to smash garlic, onion, cayenne pepper and mix with water but I am not sure that it will be effective. Neem oil has bad smell but neem oil will change needles from blue to green (I am 100% confident about it).

If it is not too too difficult for you, could you, please, answer these questions:

1. What chemical pheromone can attract JB (e.g. liquid, powder form...)?

2. What chemical or organic way to dissolve/remove that pheromone?

I know even if I will remove Blue spruce then someone can spray that JB pheromone on a different tree or bush. In addition, I like my spruce and I do not want to kill it or put in a trash.

Well, I took "Environmental Science" class. Once, our professor asked question in class, " What would we do if we got dangerous hazardous material in mail?"

I answered that I would mail it back because I did not order it; some students told that they would contact Extension service and recycle it; some students said that they would put it in the yard of neighbors.

Comments (13)

• jean001a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Please stop overthinking the situation , then consider following the guidelines I provided in your other thread.

• Lanette1982
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your following guidelines are INEFFICENT and IRRATIONAL in my opinion. I asked specific questions and I'd like to receive specific answers to my questions. By the way, I finished college with Magna Cum Laude, and I speak fluent 3 foreign languages. it is easy to call someone "Illogical and overthinking" especially when you are UNCAPABLE to read and understand my post and questions.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to collect all JB using a beat sheet or dumping into soapy water. If someone placed JB trap on the border with your yard and wind blows towards your garden, then Japanese beetle can be on your yard. JB can fly as far as 2 miles. So, what goes around comes around.
    Here is link
    http://insects.about.com/od/insectpests/f/japanese-beetle-traps.htm
    According to my research, "You want the beetles to leave your yard, not come flying in by the thousands. You are better served by a Japanese beetle trap if you present it to your neighbors as a gift. Let them hang it in their backyard, so your beetles move to their garden. Or, you've got to hold a neighborhood meeting and convince everyone to hang beetle traps, to stop the migration from yard to yard."
    Some insecticides/pesticides work on JB and oriental beetles. I've noticed dead oriental and Japanese beetles around my blue spruce after I used Sevin. However, Sevin can kill beneficial insects as well. Therefore, I want only RATIONAL and EFFICIENT response. Personally, I believe my own eyes, facts, research, and recommendations of professional or experienced people. I operate by logic NOT by emotions.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i think you meant to thank jean for the time invested in answering your questions ..

ken

ps: i have 3 degrees ... but i dont brag about it ...

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew for apples

cut down spruce,,,it may be inhabited by one or more witches

• arktrees
    9 years ago

I'm with you Ken. Didn't see the other post, but jean was obviously trying t help. As for education, I have multiple degrees as well that are very relevant to these forums. I also speak four languages (Biology, Engineer, Arkan-English, and Redneck (due to where I grew up)). None of which helps anyone if nobody is listening.

Arktrees

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

I have a degree but who cares. This is not about how educated you are but finding someone who can answer your questions correctly educated or not.

The best information I can give you is contact your local county extension agent to answer your questions. They come to your house free and are well versed to give correct answers to your problems.

Dave

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

My degrees and language skills wouldn't help much in this situation. But I do grasp nasty and demanding... someone sneakily spraying pheromones on the north side of a 4' blue spruce - not so much.

Where is that other post?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I have two PHDs. That's not very smart because I can only use one post hole digger at a time.
    Mike

• deltaohioz5
    9 years ago

LMAO @ Mike

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I'm roaring with laughter here, Mike.

Who was it that said, "If you send a jackass to college, all you end up with is an educated jackass."?

tj

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

MIke wins this thread!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Lanette, I saw the strangest thing in the park the other day. The city was spraying Mosquitoes. There was a pick up scooting down the bike trail shooting insecticide of some kind out.

Now I don't know how bad the bugs would be without the truck but I know it did not kill them all. I also know it exposed some kids and teenagers and myself to some good bug spray.

I don't know if it was really worth it. The last generation's bug spray (DDT) turned into our poison (DDT). Maybe it will take two generations to figure out the effects of whatever they were using or if it is just placebo.

To apply it to your story, if the beetles are really gnawing up the foliage on my trees I do spray them. Heck, I even am treating an ash tree with imidacloprid. I am not scared of bug spray is the point. Just don't let it drive you nuts. If I wanted to kill every bug in my yard it would do considerably more harm to me than good to my trees.

Good luck.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

There are plenty of folks with extensive education that are unable to solve life problems or lead people. They cripple under the pressure. Some of the smartest people I know don't have degrees.

Anyhow someone answered your question on your previous post. When JB mate they congregate on the west side of plants....doesn't matter what they are. Feeding is a different story.

So mystery solved. No one sprayed your spruce for cripes sake, lol.

Bayer Multi Insect Spray will kill them (adult beetles) on contact. They may not drop dead instantly but they will die pretty kick.

I just had to spray my Cupressina spruces. They were loaded with ants, a sure sign of aphids. Sure enough those buggers where everywhere. I don't spray willy nilly but I do when I need too.

I do have admit the whole hit the spruce with a broom and catch them with a sheet was a silly suggestion for a plant with razor sharp needles.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg0612304310652.html?4