Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timmypuppy

Help with new Weeping Norway Spruce

timmypuppy
9 years ago

Hi Everyone! Two weeks ago I purchased a Weeping Norway Spruce that was on clearance at a local big box store. The tree looked great, and I briefly hesitated planting it in this heat, but the price was too good to pass up. There was zero yellowing/browning that I found when the tree was purchased.

It's been in the ground for almost a week, and I am seeing a lot of browning on limbs/needles that are touching the mulch, as well as some needle browning on the crowning tip. It was planted in a hole roughly twice the width of the pot it came in, and almost as deep as the original pot. We filled it with a a composted manure (.05 .05 .05) and some of the original clay that was in the hole. We watered it the first day, and it has rained every day since. It is planted on the east side of the house here in zone 7 (Raleigh, NC) and gets sun until about 4:00pm.

I've attached some pictures, can anyone help me? I would hate to lose this pretty tree and I have zero experience with conifers. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• timmypuppy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the majority of the browning/yellowing at the bottom of the tree where it lays on the mulch.

• timmypuppy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slight needle yellowing/browning on the crowning tip.

• timmypuppy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any advice out there?

• gardener365
    9 years ago

A couple things stand out.

Yellowing occurs with too much water-(retention).
    When planting the tree - no more than 1/3 organic matter should be used unless your soil is beyond horrific.

You should check for spider mites - hold a piece of white paper under the yellowing foliage and bang it onto the paper and look for tiny bugs crawling about.

I have a hunch it's water related, however.

When a hole is dug and the backfill used is compost a bathtub effect is created. Additionally, long term if the roots were to take a liking to different organic matter apart from your native soil.. they will wind and wind themselves in the "better" media and won't grow into native soil, ultimately causing death.

It seems (at least to me) that you used full compost when re-planting. That's not a good situation. .05 .05 .05 seems to be the NPK numbers; Nitrogen Phosphorus Potassium, which don't have any effect. It's the amount of composted manure used during planting.

Dax

• timmypuppy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dax,

Thanks for your advice! It was planted will full compost and some of the native soil. We have pure red clay here and I haven't had much success with it. Pretty much everything else I have planted has done great with the compost.

Do you suggest that we take it out and replant it? And if so, with what mixture of soil(s)? I don't want to stress it out any more than necessary, but I don't want it to die either.

Thanks again!

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

How is it doing?
    Did you decide to replant it?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

I briefly hesitated planting it in this heat, but the price was too good to pass up.

==>> for next time...

just because you buy it... does not mean its time to plant it ...

ergo.. your comment above doesnt make sense ...

next time.. buy it.. put in shade.. water properly.. and plant it during planting season.. rather than bargain season ...

ken

• enjay2014
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

To Timmypuppy in case you get to read this. The same thing happened to me when i put mulch in. All of a sudden the skirts of my newly planted weeping norway spruce, weeping the blues spruce & thorsen's hemlock all turned brown where their leaves touch the mulch. These were planted 2 weeks prior to the mulch. They were all doing fine but the day after the mulch, it looked exactly like the first picture you posted. I suspect something in the dye that they use to color this mulch are not good when they get in contact with conifer needles. i got my mulch from lowes & this happened this may.

• Indominus collins
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I had the same problem with my weeping blue spruce

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

how to plant and water .. big section on clay soils ... as well as discussion on timing aspects ... ken

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub