Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorothy_gw

Favorite Low Light House Plant

Dorothy
22 years ago

What is your favorite house plant to grow in low light conditions?

I have a beautiful heart-leaf philodendron that always gets complements when I have guests. It doesn't mind if I forget to water it for a while, and it never seems to stop growing. :)

Comments (21)

• ldarby_wolfenet_com
    22 years ago

I love my Peace Lily. It's huge - roughly three feet high and four feet wide. The leaves are over 12" long. I've had it for about four years now, and it's so big an lush, I'm almost running out of room for it!

• Ankrara
    22 years ago

Dracaena sanderiana and Cordyline will also do quite well.
    Supannee

• asasto_spray_se
    22 years ago

I like zamioculcas zamiifolia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zamioculcas

• teri2
    22 years ago

Zamioculcas is one I've never heard of before. Thanks for the tip.

• Alektra
    22 years ago

My favorite low-light house plant is the aglaonema, or Chinese Evergreen. They come in different proportions and leaf patterns, but they all have a very graceful fountain or bushel shape that I love. They also make the air smell very "green" and I think it's fantastic.

I also like aspidistra, but they do grow slooooooowly and cordylines might do better even though they need more light. Ditto sansevieria, especially the hahnii which I also love for their shape.

And I've been very pleased with my new Homalomena wallisii "Emerald Gem" (common name, King of Hearts), but that does need a bit more light than the others.

And one more: Neanthe Bella palm (Chameodora elegans) does well in low light and has beautiful graceful fronds.

Here is a link that might be useful: an intro to Chinese evergreens

• Mar_cusBrutus
    22 years ago

The 'Queen Marble' Pothos! It's so tough and graceful at the same time.

:)
    Mark

• nedragz4
    21 years ago

The long Minnesota Winter will soon be here, I have a perfect place for some low light house plants, any more ideas? Dee

• akebono
    21 years ago

Aspidistras in their many forms. I have 17 different types, of varying species that range from very small to very large, wildly variegated to plain old green.

• babzclare
    21 years ago

The only plant that has thrived in my dark home(our house is surrounded by trees=shade and lots of it)it a cyclamen. I wish I knew which species it is,but I bought it at a nursery which sells high quality plants so hopefully it will continue looking nice and I'll get some blooms this spring.

• Jepa
    21 years ago

In our dark winter, in the north-facing window, the coffee plant, laurel and seed-raised citruses always look happy - I love their shiny, deep-green, classical leaf-shaped leaves...

• NYCPlanter
    21 years ago

I like Pony-tail palm, fittonia, curly ivy, button fern and bird's nest fern.

• MeMyselfAndI
    21 years ago

Parlor palms and syngoniums will exist for me in very little light - up to 12 ft. away from a north or east window (miniblinds, slats open during daylight.) African violets will be fine behind a sheer (near the window) in a south or west window, or as far away as 10 ft. from a completely exposed south window. Hedera helix ivy will grow anywhere. Spider plants don't seem to mind spending the winter in a dreary location. If you have a flourescent light somewhere, maybe kitchen, that is usually on or can be left on while you're awake, you can have plants in rooms without windows at all.

• Michywishywashy
    20 years ago

I recently bought a Dracaena marginata and the salesperson told me that this was good a good plant for low light. I have a very large Spruce Tree in front of my window which faces north west and to make matters worse I've over watered it. So, what's happening now is all of the leaves are dropping at an exponential rate. Is this plant doomed?

• ericmike
    20 years ago

phaleopsis orchid

• Bonnyleigh
    20 years ago

I like snake plants. They are common, but they get so big and have a different look.

• Nigella
    20 years ago

I'm coming down with a cold and my eyes are watering. Maybe that's why I saw the title of this post as "Favorite Low LightHouse Plant"? I was surprised because I thought all LightHouses are tall, rotflmao!

• jdeeann
    19 years ago

I came across this, as I was looking for a low light plant. I have a corner computer armior and would so like to dress it up by putting a plant on top of it. I had a chinese evergreen, but it seems to require more light than I have in this room. It's on my shaded porch now where it seems to be quite happy. Anyway, I would appreciate some suggestions on what I can replace it with. It can't be toxic to cats. I've never seen them on top of there before, but its better to be safe than sorry. I would also like to add that I'm very new to the plant world, and need something that is easy to care for.

• foxykitten350234
    19 years ago

jdeeann- The only low light house plant, that is not toxic to cats, that I can think of is a Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans).
    Foxy.

• bugerbare20
    18 years ago

jdeann- i know that pothos marble queens are great in low light,but i'm not sure about them being toxic to cats, soorry.

• cynthiacTX
    18 years ago

Pothos are poisonous sorry to say. I had quite a few but had to get rid of them because of the puppy and the cat. The puppy loves to jump up at them even if I hang them high (Dobie). My older dog could care less.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=191&S=1&SourceID=6

I need to get some palms I think.

• jannie
    18 years ago

Pothos. I started with a few leaves from a friend six months ago,now I have a potful of pothos!

Sponsored