Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Lasagna gardening

natalie4b
14 years ago

I want to implement this method in my garden, and have few questions:

can shredded junk mail be used in the layering?

do you have to shred leaves, or just pile them up in fall?

can coffee filters be used along with coffee grounds?

how soon can plants/herbs be planted? Will I need to add more soil, or it will be sufficient?

I might have more questions later, however if I have not covered some important points - please feel free to mention them.

I REALLY appreciate all your input and suggestions.

Thanks!!

~Natalie

Comments (9)

• token28001
    14 years ago

any paper that is not glossy can be used. Newspaper and cardboard work really well. I've also used laser printed paper in my beds with no problems.

I shred my leaves because they are oak and take a while to decompose.

Yes, coffee filters will break down pretty quick. Tea bags can also be used.

Depending on how composted your materials are, you can plant right away. If you have lots of large leaves, I would wait until at least the fall. The smaller the material in the pile, the better. I use leaf mulch from the landfill. There's some large stuff in it, but mostly it's just good black "dirt".

This is the consistency of what I get and plant in directly. No ill effects yet.

{{gwi:671175}}

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

You can buy a big roll of the cheapest roofing paper for about $12. Just to be safe, I do not use it where I grow edibles. I know, I know, when ever I mention it some folks get bent out of shape. This picture was taken about 4 months after putting down roofing paper.
    If you have dark heavy paper, the grass will die and decompose sooner.

Try to find someone that does commercial lawns. If they have to pay to dispose of the leaves, grass, etc. perhaps they would rather bring it to you.

{{gwi:602361}}

This picture was taken in July 08. I moved here Nov. 3, 2007.

{{gwi:671178}}

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Oh, I did tons of lagsana gardening as soon as we bought our new property. I added in freshly chopped up plant materials, shredded leaves and newspaper and intermingled that with some finished compost and well composted manures. These are by far my best garden spots and stayed moist and delicious even in a 2 year drought!!

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went to HD to find a leaves shredder, and the only one they had a $500 mower/shredder.
    Since I practically have no grass any longer, there is no need for a huge expensive piece of machinery. Is there any other way to shred the leaves? I do have a paper shredder for the junk mail, which I use and intend to spread paper in the beds.
    I am excited about possibility of lasagna beds, worms, richness of soil and growing healthy plants. Thank you all for the advice and photos!

~Natalie

• token28001
    14 years ago

Natalie, I use my lawnmower to shred leaves. I paid about $100 for it at Lowes last summer. Cheapest one they have since it takes me about 20 minutes to cut my whole yard. You can also use a weedeater in a plastic trash can. I have a 45 gallon can I use in the basement for "shop" trash. I fill it half full of leaves and stick the weedeater down in it. A few minutes of cutting and the leaves are shredded to a fine mulch. It's just when I have so many leaves, the lawnmower works better.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a gas-operated trimmer with a string on the end. Would that do to shred the leaves in a bucket?

• amare_al_giardino
    14 years ago

I love lasagna gardening and learned all about it here on GW.
    Just wanted to share a couple of pics of my first bed. The plants I put it in last April grew so well and so large, that we had to build another bed this spring to move some of them into.
    This was taken in early April just after planting it.
    [IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g291/lilapplepoke/April%20Garden%202008/lasagnabedfilledwithperennials-1.jpg[/IMG]

This is the same bed in late June.
    [IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g291/lilapplepoke/June%20Garden%202008/nativeperennialbedJune26th.jpg[/IMG]

• amare_al_giardino
    14 years ago

Early April
    {{gwi:671180}}

Late June

{{gwi:671182}}

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amazing! Plants look like they on steroids! :) Viva lasagna gardening!!