Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chopstick80

Gritty Mix - Ingredient Sources - Tampa Bay

chopstick80
12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and my first post.

I would like to dive in and try to make a batch of Al's 1:1:1 Gritty Mix.

What I would like to know is where everyone in the Tampa Bay area is purchasing their ingredients from and what the rough price was from that location? I live in Tampa/Wesley Chapel if that matters. I'm hoping to save myself time and gas instead of driving all over the place looking for the stuff.

1)Pine or Fir Bark

Brand/Label?

Location?

Price?

2) Turface

Brand/Label?

Location?

Price?

3) Crush Granite or Cherrystone

Brand/Label?

Location?

Price?

4) Gypsum

Brand/Label?

Location?

Price?

5) Continuous Release Fertilizer

Brand/Label?

Location?

Price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments (11)

• irun5k
    12 years ago

I bought fir bark at Pet Smart, but it is too expensive to do again. Some say you can get it at WalMart (haven't checked) as well as Tree Mart http://www.treemart.com/

Turface is pretty easy, they have it (called All Sport Turface) at John Deer Landscapes (multiple locations, check their website)

Still working on crushed granite. I posted a question about it to this forum yesterday in fact. The only historically cited source, Shells, doesn't carry the coarse stuff.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

See thread linked below for all of the answers!

Carol M. in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Al's Mix - pictures

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

irun4k,

Just tossing an idea out to you....
    Have you tried asking at a monument company that chisels names into granite headstones for cemeteries? I see big blocks of raw granite get delivered and polished headstones cut to size come out at the monument company near me. They probably have the floor sweepings free for the asking.

Lou

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

I get my pine fines from Walmart. They come in a purple bag and show up in the spring usually stacked in the parking lot. I have also gotten them from my local Ace. Look in the mulch areas as that is where I find them. Good luck, Paula{{gwi:464087}}
    Oh and cost just over $3.00

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Since you're in WC:

Pine Fines - Treemart (N. Tampa)

Turface - Lesco (WC) MPV, NOT Allsport! Get them to order it....

Crushed Granite - call Shell's Feed Store (Tampa), and ask if they will still order GROWER grit.

Gypsum - any local nursery will order it for you if they don't have it in stock.

CRF with minors - Helena Chemical, I get mine delivered to my doorstep for no additional charge but that may not be possible where you are. Bamboo Rabbit turned me on to them and they are great, products reasonably priced....Caliber Cote 14-14-14 has all the minors in it and you should be able to get it in Dade City for a very reasonable price for the 50lb. bag if you're willing to make the trip. Odd but they don't stock it in Tampa since that's just their corporate location, you'll find it stocked where the farmers really are ;-)

Tom

• irun5k
    12 years ago

Paula, I checked the WalMart on Gandy tonight after work. The purple bags were like $2.58 if I'm not mistaken. I checked the product and I do see where it might work if screened, although it is quite a bit different from the fir bark fines I picked up at the pet store... I think those are closer to ideal but at a huge $$ premium. I am also going to check Treemart as Tom mentioned, I've heard them mentioned before.

Tom, I have heard many mixed stories on Allsport vs. MVP. Some forum members say they are the same. The guy at my John Deere store said they aren't. He said that they are different sizes. I picked up Allsport and the pieces are about 1/8" which I understand is about ideal for the gritty mix? I will post a picture soon.

Brian

• irun5k
    12 years ago

Here is a photo, Turface Allsport along with fir bark screened though 1/4" hardware cloth. Does the turface look about right? Or too small?

Elsewhere on the web someone posted something they got from a rep at the company that makes the product:

"John Deere Landscapes has a distribution agreement that allows them to sell the Turface product with their packaging. Turface MVP and Turface All Sport are the same product. Turface Pro League and Turface All Sport Pro are the same and Turface Quick Dry is the same as Game Saver."

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I purchased my Crushed Granite at this location. I paid about $11 for 25 lbs.

Dundee Feed & Farm Supply
    307 E Main St, Dundee, FL 33838 � Map
    (863) 439-3333

I posted a link below for the website for Tractor Supply Stores that says Crushed Granite is available in some of their stores...I would call ahead before going just in case only certain stores carry them. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tractor Supply Stores...

• irun5k
    12 years ago

Tractor Supply in Leesburg has 25lb bags of Manna Pro crushed granite for $8.49(on sale) which, according to prior posts, is perfect. My mother lives over that way and I've got her picking up a couple bags! Their closest store to Tampa is probably Bradenton.

Amber Glen Feed Depot in Pinellas Park *might* carry the Manna Pro also, or if they don't then maybe the can order it because they are a Manna dealer.

• thonotorose
    12 years ago

There is a Tractor Supply on US 301, north of Zephyrhills and another on 39 in Plant City just north of the Alexander intersection.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting