Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcanora_gw

Need to replace azaleas in bed covered with rocks not mulch

tcanora
15 years ago

We have been in our house for eight years. Our planting beds are covered in red rocks (2-3 inches each) instead of mulch. It's a holdover from when we lived in the north but it's good for termite protection and less work that replacing mulch every year lol.

Anyway, we have about 15 azaleas that are dead/dying. The guy who treats our shrubs says they are pot bound. They flowered beautifully for about 5 years. I really liked them and would like to replace them with more azaleas but I am concerned that the rocks/heat from the rocks may not be conducive to growing certain types of landscaping plants. We also have some spider plants that died off shortly after the rocks went in.

Can someone reccommend some landscape plants (flowering and not) for a bed with rocks?

Thanks in advance.

Tammy

Comments (9)

• manature
    15 years ago

Cactus is all I can think of. Most plants (it seems to me) do not like heat retaining rocks around them, at least not in a state as hot as Florida. I know they last longer than regular mulch, but they also don't break down and enrich the soil. Are you sure you wouldn't rather trade your rocks for earth friendly mulch?

I have grown azaleas just about everywhere I've lived, and they seem to do better with a heavy layer of oak leaves around them. Holds in water, reduces heat (azaleas have very shallow roots and I would think they would burn under rocks), and since most of my houses have had trees in the yard, the leaf mulch has always been a free bonus of raking in spring and fall.

Sorry not to have any better ideas for you. Maybe someone else can help. But I think you might have to try something other than azaleas to have a lot of success with rocks as a bed covering.

Just my thoughts, of course, and others might disagree.

Marcia

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

IF I were to plant azaleas I would use the new ENCORE series.
    More blooms more often.I am not a fan of rocks for mulch. As for termites. The first house I sold after getting my Real Estate license was concrete block .It had to be tented because the roof had termites.They find a way to get to that wood somehow.Ahhh Florida. Land of opportunity,,,, and all kinds of bugs! LOL.

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Most azaleas - not all - prefer shade and oak or pine mulch .
    They do have very shallow surface roots that are sun sensitive and dry out quickly .
    If necessary -
    Screen native soil of rocks by putting it through half-inch by half-inch hardware cloth.
    Then, mix up to 1/3 organic matter such as compost, peat moss, or composted manure into the native soil when planting . Do not use bagged store bought soil exclusively . It will make it difficult for roots to penetrate the native soil as they grow. Do not plant under an overhang or near downspouts, as rain run-off will damage the plants. It is also a good idea to avoid planting next to concrete walkways or foundations, as concrete surfaces have a very high pH and this can cause problems with growth and flowering. Do not use pea rock as mulch. Apply 3 inches of organic mulch, keeping it away from the trunk. This is very important to keep all mulch a good distance away from the trunk or stems of plants .

Would any of these work for you ?

coffee - Coffea arabica

gardenia - Gardenia species

Mexican fire bush - Hamelia patens

firecracker vine - Manettia rubra

false poinsettia - Mussaenda species

wild coffee - Psychotria species

panama rose - Rondeletia splendens

bush pentas - Rondeletia leucophylla

• tamrootbeer
    15 years ago

How about juniper or Rosemary? Both are long lasting, get pretty flowers or berries, and like hot weather...easy to care for too. And the Rosemary could be used for cooking.

• tcanora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, I will check them all out.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

The rocks sound like red lava rocks. If so, then they will have no effect on the soil or any plants you decide to use.

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Still - the rocks have been dyed red , add no organic matter or nutrients and are basically a waste of good space .
    Even if they add no heat - why not opt for something more natural and beneficial to your plants ?

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

I have a small rock garden that was put in before we bought the house. Several here suggested I do succulents and desert rose, and it's working well so far. Desert roses would give you flowers like the azaleas, but could tolerate the rocks better. I also have a couple of Spanish stoppers in there - they're native and hardy and have been growing for a couple years now.

Someday I may take out the rocks, but for the moment, the to-do list in my yard is too long to worry about them.

Susannah

• treefrog_fl
    15 years ago

There are lots of plants that love rock mulch.
    The suggested Desert Rose and Panama Rose would flower well.
    Many succulents, like kalanchoes, aloes, agaves, sunroses and numerous others.
    Lantana, Mexican salvia, Cuban oregano, rosemary, would love these conditions.
    Of course cactus would love it too.
    A lot of bromeliads will thrive in rock beds, including pineapples.
    Lantanas would like it too.
    I'm sure there are lots more too.

Not azaleas though. Or ixoras either.