Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Help me identify this pine tree

graywings123
9 years ago

Can anyone help me identify what type of pine tree this is? And/or can you point me to someplace on the web that would help me identify it?

It was planted waaaay too close to the house and the previous owner had no idea how tall it would get. My guess is that it is about 30 feet tall.

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

First, it is not a pine tree (Pinus spp). Pines have long needles in clusters - this has sprays of needled foliage. Would need a close up of foliage to confirm but looks a lot like it could be red cedar, Juniperus virginiana.

And yeah, it's too close :-)) When they lean away from the house like that, it's a pretty clear sign. Also the branches messing with the eaves.

• graywings123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much gardengal. I thought pine tree was a general term, which might explain my lack of success with googling for information.

I have not noticed any blue berrries that are seen in google's images of red cedar. And the photos don't seem to show the distinct blue gray color of the foliage.

This is a closeup of a branch. Does it help? It's raining right now or I would get a better picture.

• needinfo001
    9 years ago

Do you know how old the tree is?
    It may not produce berries for sometime if it is red cedar. I dont know what it is......
    But you can post the pic in the namethatplant forum and someone might know what it is.

Are you planning on cutting it down?

Goodluck,what ever you do.

• graywings123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would estimate it is about 10-15 years old.

I wouldn't cut it down without a reason, but its proximity to the house, the way it towers over the house, and the fact that the prevailing winds would make it likely to fall on the house - all of that concerns me. It has grown a lot in the five years I have been here.

I will try name-that-plant if I can't get a definitive answer here or via googling.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Looking much more like Arizona Cypress to me (Cupressus arizonica) then a Juniper.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I thought pine tree was a general term

Not to worry :-)) Lots of folks think the same - mostly it's just us plant geeks that feel compelled to keep things straight!

Now that I can see the foliage close up, it doesn't look like juniper to me, either. Arizona cypress is a definite possibility - although I would have thought MD humidity not to their liking. Who knew?

btw, you don't need to know what kind of conifer it is to have it removed :-)

• newestEngland
    9 years ago

Personally I have no issue with using "pine" as a general term for "conifer not otherwise specified" mainly because that seems to be how it was used historically.

After all, a pinetum is a an arboretum full of conifers, and the umbrella pine, Huon pine, King Billy pine, and Norfolk pine are in the families Sciadopityaceae, Podocarpaceae, Cupressaceae, and Araucariaceae.

Personally though, I think we should just start calling them all "Yule trees." It's neither taxonomically nor politically incorrect, and sounds almost as nice as "pine" when you substitute it.

As for that particular tree, it's definitely in Cupressaceae, and probably a Cupressus sp. (Athrotaxis cupressoides is the only non-Cupressus species I know of that has a form and foliage like that, and it wouldn't be a garden plant in Maryland.)

Beyond that, I don't know. Does Cupressus arizonica grow in MD? I agree that it looks like one, but I thought it was prone to root rot in humid climates.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

That it was the cypress could be told by the bark and habit in the first picture.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County