Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Questions re: a couple of plants

I got some seeds for Phlomis tuberosa (Jerusalem sage, i think)and Cestrum nostrum (Night-scented jessamine) from the box of seeds that went around, so i'm assuming that someone here has them. I winter sowed them but i think in both cases weeds germinated rather than the plants. Does anyone have pictures of the seedlings or pictures that will help me to see if what has germinated is a weed or not?

Thanks! :)

Comments (8)

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Take photos Marcia, I'll be able to tell if its Phlomis or not ;)

The Cestrum nocturnum should really be started early in Jan indoors, its a tender tropical, too tender for wintersowing in our climate. My little seedling that I started last year died over the winter, I think I watered it too much.

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll get a picture tomorrow, Sharon. It looks almost like a dandelion. I had a lot of weeds in my Promix this year. And if i remember, i'll see if i can start some of the Cestrum nostrum in the winter next year.

(Winter. ~shudder~)

Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally getting around to posting pictures for you. Here's what's in the Phlomis container:

And the cestrum - some of it looks similar, which is what leads me to believe they're weeds:

I think i'm growing dandelions.....

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

The bottom container in the middle looks like it could be a Phlomis tuberosa seedling. Let that grow and see what happens.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlomis tuberosa

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

BTW, who and where is that box of seeds last given to?

Original Author
    15 years ago

It was going to someone in Newfoundland, wasn't it?

I looked up both Phlomis and Cestrum before planting but i must have missed that site, Sharon. It has a nice close-up of the leaves. I wonder if it's just me that gets all these weeds in my winter sowing? Where are the seeds coming from? Whatever that is in the Phlomis container germinated on April 29th, and with our spring, there shouldn't have been any seeds floating around in the air!

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Marcia, just to confirm, I bought a small plant of night scented jessamine cestrum nocturnum (you have seeds of cestrum nostrum but who knows, maybe it's the same plant, just a variation on the name).

Anyways, the plant looks very different from your picture, to me my little plant sort of resembles the overall shape and leaves of a small snapdragon plant.

It's my fantasy to someday experience the scented blooms while sitting outside on a nice summer night, stay tuned to see if that happens.

Glen

Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess it's back to the drawing board with these plants! Another pack of seeds from the box was Apache Plume, which i thought would be a neat thing, but it never germinated.

Glen, it was my plan as well to have the jessamine close to the bedroom window so that i could smell it at night. :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting