Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fernsk

If you could have just one rose....

fernsk
17 years ago

Hi all

I'm still working on the plans for my "postage stamp" cottage garden.... I'm making a list of plants that I've come to think of as "must haves" and am researching them this summer to plant next spring or possibly this fall if my "lasagna garden" is ready in time. For a variety of reasons I've decided that a rose is a must for my garden - saw lots of them on a garden tour. So here is the question:

If you could have just 1 rose what would it be? A climber or a bush?

You have to remember my size constraints and needless to say it must be hardy.

Thanks for your advise

Fern

P.S. Anyone with any experience with a Persian yellow? or a Hazel Dean? or Winnipeg Parks Rose?

Comments (8)

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Well, I'm hardly a rose expert but if I had to go down to just one I would seriously consider my mini rose. It has been super care free. No disease, no japanese beetles, no pruning and I understand that most of them are own root which is something you need to consider in your zone.

• ggschmerl
    17 years ago

Hi Fern,

I grow Winnipeg Parks. It is definitely a hardy rose. I wouldn't say it is the most beautiful rose, but it is very lovely.
    Two that I dearly love are bred by Dr. Griffith Buck, and his are renowned to be extremely hardy. They are 'Grace Note' and 'Freckles'. I am a sucker for pink, and both of these are. However they have tiny speckles or freckles of a darker color in them that in my opinion makes them stunning.
    Both are shrubs.
    Check them out on Help Me Find. Look under the photo's tab after you have brought them up and see what you think.

There are many hardy ones out there. Several in the Canadian Explorer series that might suit your fancy.

Mindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Help me Find Roses

• pat_tea
    17 years ago

Would have to be hotcoco. Of my 82 rose bushes it gets the most oohs and ahhs!

{{gwi:716724}}

But then, it could be Abraham or Big Purple or Distant Drums or......

Here is a link that might be useful: My Roses

• pianolady
    17 years ago

In your zone, I think a Griffith Buck rose would be your best bet. Distant Drums is my favorite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Griffith Buck Roses

• klimkm
    17 years ago

You could not go wrong with "winnipeg parks". Also "Henry Hudson" a white rugosa hybrid.
    Also the other explorer, parkland and morden roses are for Canada. So they will likely all work for you.
    The buck rose I most recommend is "carefree beauty" as it blooms a lot. Others are good too - I have "pearlie mae" and "prairie star" which are hardy here in zone 5-IL. Don't know about Canada for those.

Good luck

• fernsk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hot Cocoa is gorgeous but I'm not sure it would survive Saskatoon - I do have a bit of a microclimate in my tiny back yard so I could be zone 4 or 5. Winnipeg parks was one of the roses that I saw on a garden tour this weekend. It was really nice. A mini rose might work and they are really inexpensive at the grocery stores right now.

Fern

• Jennifer Wolford
    17 years ago

The Zephirine Drouhin ...this rose is thornless and lovely. The blooms are almost hot pink and very fragrant.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Zephirine Drouhin

• seamommy
    17 years ago

I have to agree with Jennifer that Zepherine Drouhin will give you the most bang for your buck. The climber will provide the most "rose" for your available space. You may have to protect it in winter unless it's located close to the house, in which case it may be OK with just heavy mulching to protect the roots. It has a beautiful color that can be seen from a great distance, and enough of the old-fashioned charm of a profuse climber that your small space will be very "cottagey." Cheryl